Ed Goble Book of Abraham Podcast now up

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Ed Goble Book of Abraham Podcast now up

Post by _Shulem »

I received a request from Ed Goble to please post a link to his Podcast and to dissect it. Ed expressed a desire that Philo Sofee also check it out. Anyone else? Have at it!

Robert Norton - Guest Host Ed Goble

I'll put the Podcast on my list of things to do. I'm willing to bet this is Ed's last stand. He's reach a summation of his Book of Abraham apologetic and once he loses confidence in his theory his shelf will finally break. I hope there are those on this board that would take interest in putting weight on his shelf.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Ed Goble Podcast now up

Post by _Shulem »

First 14 minutes is nothing but idle chat about a variety of things that don't matter to anyone other than the two people talking.

Skip those 14 minutes and do anything else. Go to the toilet. Wash the dishes. Vacuum the carpet. Anything would prove more interesting.

Christ Jesus! :neutral:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

First 25 minutes of idle chat that nobody will find interesting or of value. Just random talk about nothing that matters.

Not good.

:rolleyes:
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Try around minute 37.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Ed Goble 45:00 wrote:I'm not saying it's proof, it might give them something to hold on to until a reason to come around to actually giving the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham and the rest of our scriptures and the rest of our claims in the church -- it might give them a reason to actually decide to take it seriously and get a testimony about it by the Holy Ghost. And so we're not looking for proof because I just don't think that in this situation that we're in we're not really offered proof, but . . . .

First of all, we have all the proof we need to disprove the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham. Both books have been proven frauds by the evidence and through scholarly context. Joseph Smith made claims and they have been disproven. End of story!

I once had a testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Book of Abraham given me of the Holy Ghost. The problem is that the Holy Ghost is also a fraud -- self induced feelings -- a psychological mess. Once one gets past the silly so-called testimony of the Holy Ghost and objectively look at the evidence and proof then they can allow light to shine in their minds and come to real understanding. Mormonism retards this light, keeps people in bondage, and convinces people to deny truth when it's ever so obvious.
_fetchface
_Emeritus

Post by _fetchface »

When I was a small child I prayed about whether Santa was real and the Holy Ghost told me that he was. It bothers me a little bit that I have to come up with explanations that are increasingly complex and unlikely for how he could be real given the evidence that I see. But I know he is real, because the Holy Ghost made me feel good when I said a prayer those many years ago.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My Blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

A testimony is like the old tv movie "Hawaii Five-O."

I had a friend who really believed that that entity existed in reality. He watched every single episode on tv and wanted to be a part of the cop force in Hawaii and so went to Hawaii to join Hawaii Five-O, only to be disappointed when he discovered it wasn't actually real. It ruined his teen aged years. He was miserable and depressed for years about it. He had the opportunity to learn this truth when his entire family took them vacationing to Hawaii when he was 15 years old. The power of wreaking havoc on impressionable young minds should not be over-estimated.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Minutes 45-60

Ed throws in NAHOM as big proof for the Book of Mormon. I find it hypocritical that he'll give Smith credit for the consonantal elements of a single name found over in yonder land and yet there is no king's name in Facsimile No. 3. Giving credit to Smith for finding NAHOM and giving him a pass on the missing king's name is unfair. Red Flag!

Other terms pertaining to the KEP (alphabet) are sections, markers, pairings and puns. The PAIRINGS are significant because they are what "create the relationship" in making the hieroglyphs translate into something, anything, in which Joseph Smith was thinking. Just find a parallel, anything that might suggest, "Hey look Joseph really was on to something!"

Riiiiight.

The whole concept seems based on just trying to find anything to raise interest and create a connection between what Joseph Smith said and what the Egyptian symbols are showing. The whole process, however, has nothing to do with real language or converting one language into another -- such as French into German. It's pretty much BS in allowing Smith to invent and create fiction according to whatever comes out of his head.

It seems that the host is getting board and doesn't seem very convinced:

host 57:58 wrote:Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

fetchface wrote:When I was a small child I prayed about whether Santa was real and the Holy Ghost told me that he was. It bothers me a little bit that I have to come up with explanations that are increasingly complex and unlikely for how he could be real given the evidence that I see. But I know he is real, because the Holy Ghost made me feel good when I said a prayer those many years ago.

If you pray about whether the Book of Mormon (or any other facet the Church wants you to believe) is true and the Holy Ghost tells you it is, that means it’s true. If you pray about whether the Book of Mormon is true and the Holy Ghost tells you it isn’t, that doesn't mean it isn’t true. It’s the old double-headed coin scam.

It’s also worth noting the Holy Ghost can manifest himself in a limitless number of bodily or mental sensations that recipients are at a loss to explain or predict. It could be, quite literally, anything. All that matters is that you retrospectively assign how you felt to the Holy Ghost confirming what it is the church tells you it should be.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I have a question wrote:If you pray about whether the Book of Mormon (or any other facet the Church wants you to believe) is true and the Holy Ghost tells you it is, that means it’s true. If you pray about whether the Book of Mormon is true and the Holy Ghost tells you it isn’t, that doesn't mean it isn’t true. It’s the old double-headed coin scam.

Imagine the church challenging potential converts to learn about the truthfulness of the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 by exhorting them to ask God if those things are NOT true. How many people would join the church by gaining a testimony of Facsimile No. 3? I mean, come on! Is the Book of Mormon MORE true than the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3? Both accounts come from Joseph Smith and both accounts are in Mormon canon so they should be equally just as true. Will the Holy Ghost confirm that? I think it's easier to trip people up by getting them to go to God for a good feeling about the Book of Mormon but good luck with the Facsmiles. The Holy Ghost is going to run from the Facsimiles. No testimony to be gained there.