Significant Change, TR Q11 the Word Of Wisdom.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Significant Change, TR Q11 the Word Of Wisdom.

Post by _I have a question »

The Church used General Conference to make some changes to the list of temple recommend questions. This thread is specifically about Q11, the one about living the word of wisdom.

Old
11. Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?
New
11. Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?

The Church has now made it the members responsibility to understand what the Word Of Wisdom means and if you don't know what it means you can't have a temple recommend. How the heck am I supposed to understand the Word Of Wisdom when the Church doesn't sufficiently explain it?

Here's the Church's current explanation...
What the Word of Wisdom is not
President Boyd K. Packer (1924–2015), President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, taught us what the Word of Wisdom is not:

A guarantee that you will always be healthy.

“The Word of Wisdom does not promise you perfect health, but it teaches how to keep the body you were born with in the best condition and your mind alert to delicate spiritual promptings.”

A comprehensive list.

“There are many habit-forming, addictive things that one can drink or chew or inhale or inject which injure both body and spirit which are not mentioned in the revelation.”

An excuse to be obsessive.

“Learn to use moderation and common sense in matters of health and nutrition, and particularly in medication. Avoid being extreme or fanatical or becoming a faddist”1 (a faddist is someone who follows every trend).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... t?lang=eng

Avoid: Alcoholic drinks, Tobacco, Tea and coffee, Meat (just not too much), Anything harmful or addictive

Enjoy: Fruits, Vegetables, Meat (just not too much), Grains

The guidance to enjoy meat (just not too much), is not what the scripture says.
And as for not promising perfect health, the promise is very comprehensive and applicable to "all" members who live it.
18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... t?lang=eng

Is drinking sugar-laden Soda against the Word Of Wisdom, or not?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Re: Significant Change, TR Q11 the Word Of Wisdom.

Post by _Mormonicious »

I have a question wrote:The Church used General Conference to make some changes to the list of temple recommend questions. This thread is specifically about Q11, the one about living the word of wisdom.

Old
11. Do you keep the Word of Wisdom?
New
11. Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?

The Church has now made it the members responsibility to understand what the Word Of Wisdom means and if you don't know what it means you can't have a temple recommend. How the heck am I supposed to understand the Word Of Wisdom when the Church doesn't sufficiently explain it?

Opposite of this. Since the Word of Wisdom was NEVER a commandment, this new question simply gives the interpretation of the Word of Wisdom to the individual, therefore NO ONE CAN BREAK THE WORD OF WISDOM.

After all, no mention of coffee specifically, no mention of caffeine specifically, no mention of medical marijuana specifically, no mention of the use of legal or illegal drugs specifically. Only the interpretations of former Profits and since their understanding and word aren't worth crap, ENJOY!
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Elder Pieper shared some of the many questions he has heard from members of the Church who are concerned about living the Word of Wisdom: “Is vaping OK? Is medical marijuana OK? Are energy drinks OK?”

“We’re never going to be able to put out a list of all the kosher foods for Latter-day Saints,” Elder Pieper said. But each person can study the Word of Wisdom, stop and think about his or her life, and write down the things the Spirit tells him or her to do.

“Some of those things might be eat three balanced meals, stop eating junk food, get more exercise, study dietary changes that would address a specific health risk or problem you’ve had, or figure out a way to feed your mind on more uplifting materials.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-fa ... dom-164294

Is Junk Food now against the Word Of Wisdom?
Can the Word Of Wisdom be whatever you say it is?
I’ve studied a health problem I have, and drinking a glass of wine and a couple of cups of coffee each day will help, so is that now okay?

Can anyone say “Yes” to the question “Do they understand the Word Of Wisdom”?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Bishop: Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?

Member: yes.

Bishop: Do you drink tea or coffee?

Member: That is not an interview question. I answered that I understand and obey the Word of Wisdom. Next.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

sunstoned wrote:Bishop: Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?

Member: yes.

Bishop: Do you drink tea or coffee?

Member: That is not an interview question. I answered that I understand and obey the Word of Wisdom. Next.

Mental Gymnast's wife:

His grandson:

Grammmaaaa!!! I found 10 cases of this in the garage!! Can I have one???
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

I have a question wrote:11. Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom??

Yes.

I drink my coffee and tea warm, or ice cold, but not hot!

Warm soup too! Not hot!!

If the shower is hot, I avoid accidentally drinking the shower water by keeping my mouth closed!

I enjoy beer.

I smoke pot.

I only wear the Jesus jammies on Sunday with a thin white long sleeve button down shirt.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

I didn't think the church would go backwards on this issue, but here we are. A shameless power grab. This validates my decision to resign. Y'all are rightfully mocking the situation. What a burden this places on local leadership. Now they have to assert a particular interpretation of the WOW? Which continues to be defined exactly nowhere, I assume? Or has Nelson received new revelation explaining what, exactly, is forbidden? Ironically my MIL was just ordered by her doctor to start drinking coffee. I wonder if she'll lose her TR now? Something something personal agency. Agency was so important to God that he cast Satan out and then sent us all down here to be enslaved by the Mormon church instead. Makes total sense.