Church issues statement on Mexico deaths ?????They weren?????t LDS?????

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Re: Church issues statement on Mexico deaths “They weren’t

Post by _sunstoned »

The church (thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints) always has its best interest front and center. It this case there was no reason to make a destination between organizations. The news media was very clear on this. The people in Mexico were "Mormons". The Utah church has disavowed that name and is no longer associated with it. TSCC got what it wanted, So what's the problem?

The reality is that 99.8% of the world's population don't make a distinction between one Mormon fraction from another. Most people don't care.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

The church should do like Prince did in the 90s and use a symbol instead of a name. The moroni trumpet statue would work. Whenever the media needs to reference the church, they can't use any names but must instead show a picture of the moroni trumpet statue. They would be the church formerly known as the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and also formerly knows as the LDS church and also formerly known as the Mormon church.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Perhaps one of the reasons for putting distance between it and the tragic deaths of Mormons in Mexico, was the Church’s desire to keep its polygamist history in Mexico from scrutiny. Unfortunately a Trib reporter lifts the lid...
The horrific killing of three women and six children in Sonora, Mexico, this week has brought a little-known chapter of Mormon and Mexican history into the spotlight, one deeply entwined with the bygone Latter-day Saint practice of polygamy. This history is little understood even by Mormons themselves. Though a lifelong Latter-day Saint, I didn’t learn about it until several years ago, when two Utah men commissioned me to write a biography of their mother, who was born and raised in a polygamous Mormon colony in Chihuahua, Mexico.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/11 ... hat-media/
In 1889, the new church president, Wilford Woodruff, saw the inevitability of bowing to federal law if the church was to survive. He directed that no new plural marriages be performed in the church’s three temples, under threat of the federal government shutting them down. He began to intimate, however, that such marriages “might be solemnized in Mexico or Canada.”
This points to something the media and even some historians get wrong about Mormonism’s history in Mexico: the Latter-day Saints who went there in the late 19th and early 20th century were not emigrating in defiance of church leaders’ efforts to end the practice of polygamy. Beginning in 1885, church leaders established the Mexican colonies as a refuge where polygamous families could live free of prosecution, and leaders encouraged these families to move to Mexico.
The church hierarchy hoped the removal of large numbers of pluralists and would-be pluralists to Mexico would free these families from prosecution while absolving federal objections to Utah Territory’s bid for statehood, which was finally granted in 1896.
Wow!
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:Perhaps one of the reasons for putting distance between it and the tragic deaths of Mormons in Mexico, was the Church’s desire to keep its polygamist history in Mexico from scrutiny. Unfortunately a Trib reporter lifts the lid...
The horrific killing of three women and six children in Sonora, Mexico, this week has brought a little-known chapter of Mormon and Mexican history into the spotlight, one deeply entwined with the bygone Latter-day Saint practice of polygamy. This history is little understood even by Mormons themselves. Though a lifelong Latter-day Saint, I didn’t learn about it until several years ago, when two Utah men commissioned me to write a biography of their mother, who was born and raised in a polygamous Mormon colony in Chihuahua, Mexico.

In 1889, the new church president, Wilford Woodruff, saw the inevitability of bowing to federal law if the church was to survive. He directed that no new plural marriages be performed in the church’s three temples, under threat of the federal government shutting them down. He began to intimate, however, that such marriages “might be solemnized in Mexico or Canada.”
This points to something the media and even some historians get wrong about Mormonism’s history in Mexico: the Latter-day Saints who went there in the late 19th and early 20th century were not emigrating in defiance of church leaders’ efforts to end the practice of polygamy. Beginning in 1885, church leaders established the Mexican colonies as a refuge where polygamous families could live free of prosecution, and leaders encouraged these families to move to Mexico.
The church hierarchy hoped the removal of large numbers of pluralists and would-be pluralists to Mexico would free these families from prosecution while absolving federal objections to Utah Territory’s bid for statehood, which was finally granted in 1896.
Wow!

My mother was born in Colonia Juarez as were two of her sisters.

My mother and father both came to view the Mormon church with horror and aversion because of the sickening practice and consequences of polygamy. Their families were broken and impoverished due to moving around and scrambling up their affairs to accommodate the perversion and lawbreaking. Both of my parents resigned from the church in their adulthood.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

After receiving revelation, President Wilford Woodruff issued the following Manifesto, which was accepted by the Church as authoritative and binding on October 6, 1890. This led to the end of the practice of plural marriage in the Church.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1?lang=eng
If it became authoritative and binding in 1890...how come...
Despite the public “advice” that Mormons should refrain from contracting new plural marriages, Woodruff and one of his two counselors authorized some Mormon leaders to continue to perform a small number of such marriages.
Moreover, they privately encouraged some Latter-day Saints who wished to openly practice polygamy or contract new polygamous marriages to move to the Mexican colonies.
By December 1890, some 1,500 LDS immigrants were living in three major “colonies” of Chihuahua — Colonia Diaz near the New Mexico border and Colonias Juarez and Dublan, roughly 50 miles south of Diaz and 200 miles southwest of El Paso, Texas. Through the years, Mormon settlers built up several more colonies in Chihuahua and the state to its west, Sonora.

Official Declaration 1 in the D&C was nothing more than subterfuge, it’s a lie.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Any one who supports/believes in/honors/endorses/praises/abides by/follows/speaks of/has a picture-drawing of/etc., Horny Holy Joe and his Golden Bible and Comedy book the Doctrine and Covenants is a Mormon/LSD/MEMBER.

After all Horny Holy Joe started all this crap.

STUPID damned Mormons

All Hail Google GOD and here son eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

DarkHelmet wrote:The church should do like Prince did in the 90s and use a symbol instead of a name. The moroni trumpet statue would work. Whenever the media needs to reference the church, they can't use any names but must instead show a picture of the moroni trumpet statue. They would be the church formerly known as the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and also formerly knows as the LDS church and also formerly known as the Mormon church.

I think Nelson's Sycophants is probably the most descriptive.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

After nine people belonging to a Mormon offshoot community were killed in Mexico this week, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a short statement expressing sympathy for the victims while clarifying that they didn't belong to the mainstream church.

That the faith widely known as the Mormon church would feel the need to make such a clarification amid a tragedy underscored the conundrum the church faces when big news happens with splinter groups that practice polygamy. Plural marriage was key during the faith's founding days, but the Utah-based church denounced it more than a century ago.

The victims' connection to Mormonism featured prominently in headlines this week about the drug cartel attack on a caravan of American women and children living in Mexico, though there's no indication they were targeted for their religion.

Church leaders were likely hoping to end widespread confusion among outsiders about the faith's stance on polygamy and links to the offshoots, said Patrick Mason, a religious scholar who is the Arrington Chair of Mormon History and Culture at Utah State University.

Church spokesman Eric Hawkins declined to elaborate on how the church handles the confusion, saying it wants to respect the grieving families.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory ... y-66829707

Oh, so now they’ve been caught red handed opportunistically using the tragic deaths of Mormons in Mexico to seek to distance themselves from their polygamous past, suddenly they go tight lipped in order to “respect the grieving families”. Perhaps you should have done that in the first place Eric?

Unfortunately for Eric and the Church, their ill-considered attempt at creating distance has simply drawn attention to the fact the reason thee’s polygamous Mormons in Mexico is because Wilford Woodruff sent them there in the first place, to continue to live polygamously whilst trying to portray in the USA that they didn’t. I wonder when a reporter will draw the comparison with Messrs Nelson and Oaks, who both have entered into eternal polygamous arrangements...
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

The attitude is both sad and rediculous.

Thy aren't Mormons - even though we aren't Mormons any longer - they aren't real Mormons like we were, but are not now - so don't call them Mormons.

Who's on First?
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert