Gender in the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Gender in the Book of Mormon

Post by _Maksutov »

According to a recent meme on exmoreddit, there are 201 men named in the Book of Mormon. There are 3 women named in the Book of Mormon.

Thoughts?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Re: Gender in the Book of Mormon

Post by _Physics Guy »

What's the ratio in the Bible? I'm sure there are more named men than named women but I don't think the ratio is nearly so high.

What about other ancient texts? Or early 19th century texts?
_cacheman
_Emeritus

Post by _cacheman »

The doctrine and covenants mention Emma Smith (not necessarily in a positive light) As far as I know, there are no other women named. There is a reference to Joseph Smith's mother, but she is not named. Are any other women named?

I''ve always wondered why women aren't mentioned in OD2. It talks about black men now being able to receive the priesthood. I guess it's just assumed that the temple blessings for black women (and children) were also revealed. Was the lack of revelation regarding women just an oversight?

-cacheman
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Physics Guy wrote:What's the ratio in the Bible? I'm sure there are more named men than named women but I don't think the ratio is nearly so high.

What about other ancient texts? Or early 19th century texts?

Good questions. Depends on how you define the characters.

Here's another difference between the Book of Mormon/Mormonism and the Bible:

Huldah (Hebrew: חֻלְדָּה) was a prophet mentioned in the Hebrew Bible in 2 Kings 22:14–20 and 2 Chronicles 34:22–28. According to Jewish tradition, she was one of the "seven prophetesses", with Sarah, Miriam, Deborah, Hannah, Abigail and Esther.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Maksutov wrote:According to a recent meme on exmoreddit, there are 201 men named in the Book of Mormon. There are 3 women named in the Book of Mormon.

Thoughts?

Clearly this is because the names of those other women are too sacred to speak.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_cacheman
_Emeritus

Post by _cacheman »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Maksutov wrote:According to a recent meme on exmoreddit, there are 201 men named in the Book of Mormon. There are 3 women named in the Book of Mormon.

Thoughts?

Clearly this is because the names of those other women are too sacred to speak.

I think you're on to something. In fact, If I recall correctly, Hugh Nibley said only 2 of the 3 were personal names..... Isabel was simply a descriptor applied to all harlots (jezebels). Clearly her personal name was kept in sacred secretiveness. :wink:

-cacheman
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

I believe that Nephi's wife was mentioned in the missing 116 pages. From the Tanners:

While Nephi's reluctance to name his wife could be explained by the theory that the author of the Book of Mormon was not really interested in the things of women, the fact that Nephi does not name any of his own children (see 1 Nephi 18:19), the children of his brothers, nor the children of Ishmael fits well with our idea that he was trying to suppress names so that he would not contradict the missing 116 pages if they should come forth. Nephi does inform us that Ishmael and his own brothers had male children, but he does not give their names. Those who examine later portions of the Book of Mormon will see that Nephi's silence is inconsistent with the rest of the book. For example, just as we come out of the black hole, we find this reference in Mosiah 1:1: "... king Benjamin ... had three sons; and he called their names Mosiah, and Helorum, and Helaman."

http://www.utlm.org/newsletters/no72.htm
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Thoughts?

The database of female names stored in the seer stone had become damaged due to the sedimentary process.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:

Thoughts?

The database of female names stored in the seer stone had become damaged due to the sedimentary process.

:lol:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.