The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2019

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Re: The Top Ten Happenings in Mopologetics, 2019

Post by _Tator »

Over 6000 views in less than 48 hours I find that incredible.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I tip my hat to Dr. Scratch for his endlessly captivating and entertaining rundown of the year in Mopologetics.

I will note one additional item regarding Cruise Lady:

Last week, Martin Tanner made a Cruise Lady-sponsored lecture titled "Blacks and the Priesthood: Information and Explanations You've Never Heard, but Need to Know!" Here's the official description of the presentation (verbatim): "You've heard criticisms of the Church over it's handling of black members and the Priesthood. Come and listen to the rest of the story. Learn where the policy came from, why it came about, how it was changed and why Latter-day Saints should see this as a bright spot in Church history." Cruise Lady charged $5.00 in advance and $6.00 at the door to attend the lecture, which reportedly drew a capacity crowd.

Tanner's points to remember (verbatim from a presentation slide):

1. The LDS Church was the FIRST Church to allow African Americans to hold the Priesthood, at its founding.
2. The LDS Church was far from the last to allow African Americans to hold the Priesthood.
3. The U.S. was one of the FIRST countries to abolish slavery.
4. U.S. was the first major world power to abolish slavery.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Tom wrote:I tip my hat to Dr. Scratch for his endlessly captivating and entertaining rundown of the year in Mopologetics.

Last week, Martin Tanner made a Cruise Lady-sponsored lecture titled "Blacks and the Priesthood: Information and Explanations You've Never Heard, but Need to Know!" Here's the official description of the presentation (verbatim): "You've heard criticisms of the Church over it's handling of black members and the Priesthood. Come and listen to the rest of the story. Learn where the policy came from, why it came about, how it was changed and why Latter-day Saints should see this as a bright spot in Church history." Cruise Lady charged $5.00 in advance and $6.00 at the door to attend the lecture, which reportedly drew a capacity crowd.

1. The LDS Church was the FIRST Church to allow African Americans to hold the Priesthood, at its founding.
2. The LDS Church was far from the last to allow African Americans to hold the Priesthood.

So, the supposed "true" church and its made up god weren't so bad after all. Yea church! Go, fight, win, church! It might look like the church dragged its feet on this one, but no longer! Mormon God had a plan all along to test our faith, yet again, and the good news is that we passed the test!
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Happy Holidays, Doctor Scratch! May your final weeks of classes be blessed and successful, and I look forward to toasting 2020 at the upcoming Cassius charity gala. It should be a magnificent evening. This being my first, it would be a lie not to confess that my anticipation of the special event, particularly the much hyped Hasan Minhaj keynote, is tempered by some trepidation about the freshman professor tradition of taking a drink out of the Dean’s shoe. But back to the point, thank you once again for your meticulous record keeping and brilliant sense of humor!

Tom, thank you for that summary of Tanner’s slides. I apologize in advance for hard feelings spilling out here, but I find it repugnant when LDS apologists attempt to link a progressive spin on blacks and priesthood with some angle about social progress around slavery. The church maintains to this day that God was behind the ban. The church won’t heal itself until a brave leader steps forward to issue an apology and redaction of that view.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:I tip my hat to Dr. Scratch for his endlessly captivating and entertaining rundown of the year in Mopologetics.

What about the British Empire’s Slavery Abolition Act of 1833? I would call the British Empire a “major world power.”
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:Tom, thank you for that summary of Tanner’s slides. I apologize in advance for hard feelings spilling out here, but I find it repugnant when LDS apologists attempt to link a progressive spin on blacks and priesthood with some angle about social progress around slavery. The church maintains to this day that God was behind the ban. The church won’t heal itself until a brave leader steps forward to issue an apology and redaction of that view.

Well spoken, Dr. Moore. I think it is absolutely disgusting. The LDS Church has a profound issue with racism to this day. To provide such a self-servingly selective and distorted account of blacks and Mormonism in our time is an utter travesty. The Tanner lecture was yet another in a long string of mistakes, gaffes, and boners that show how deficient efforts to deal with Mormon racism have been to date.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Yes, well-spoken Dr. Moore. The supposed true church has never led on this important issue as one would suppose it would have done. It went down kicking and screaming, facing sports boycotts, and had to wait for racist apostles to die or be in the hospital in order to push the change through. Then, its anonymous essay makes the church look worse. Just apologize already.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Tator wrote:Over 6000 views in less than 48 hours I find that incredible.

Talk about understated^: the OP posted around 7:12 pm (EST) on Nov. 26. It is now just after 4:09 pm (EST) on Nov. 27. The count now stands at more than 6500 views in less than 24 hours. If my phone calculator is right, in 21 hours, that's an average of more than 5 views per minute. I find that even more incredible.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Tom wrote:[...]
1. The LDS Church was the FIRST Church to allow African Americans to hold the Priesthood, at its founding.[...]

Sorry Episcopalians, the Episcopal church is apparently not a church. *sad-trombone*

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Sorry Episcopalians, the Episcopal church is apparently not a church. *sad-trombone*

Unsurprising that the talking points turn out to be factually incorrect or very misleading.