The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

Post by _I have a question »

Please tell me Bradley’s book is 116 pages long...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I have a question wrote:Please tell me Bradley’s book is 116 pages long...

:lol:

No, it is considerably longer than that.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

You stole Moksha's perfect witty comment :lol:
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Jersey Girl wrote:Is this the book he was working on when we were all back on Z and prior to MDB coming online?????

I don’t think so. I am not sure. He has had prior plans for books, and I am sure he will write some of them in the future. Of course, this one has been years in the making. Still, I believe this is a post ZLMB plan.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_WMLdeWette
_Emeritus

Post by _WMLdeWette »

Don also thinks that the lost manuscript was much larger than 116 pages, maybe even around 500 or so pages. You are probably aware that scholars do not think that the manuscript was 116 pages but that Smith, not knowing either how long it was, counted up the replacement pages on the original or printer's manuscript and used that as an estimate for how long it might have been.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

It was originally 116 characters - but when translated expanded the book to 767 pages. And I believe that maybe as many as 116 pages were "lost" from Don's manuscript before it went to print...

Sadly, I've been sworn to secrecy as to where the characters came from or how Don translated them or where the missing material may be,.

There are clues in the book though, but you must purchase it to find out more... https://www.amazon.com/Lost-116-Pages-R ... 1PC54BBRDB
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Congrats to Don for doing this. Looks like it might be the most important book on Mormonism in years, from what everyone is saying.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Or that the first page in the book is number 117.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Kishkumen wrote:Just in time for Christmas, Greg Kofford Books has just released Don Bradley’s long awaited and greatly anticipated book about the lost first (but incomplete) version of the Book of Mormon. I am thrilled to see this happen, as it is a project Don has poured himself into for a very long time. The value of the research and historical sleuthing here should not be underestimated. Congratulations to Don, longtime friend of our MormonDiscussions.com community, and personal friend to a number of us, including Dr. Shades!

Thank you, Rev. K.!

I don't join in online discussion nearly as much these days, but I enjoy popping in sometimes and seeing what old friends are saying and sometimes following the evolution of others' thinking, like some of the new insights of our Backyard Professor.

The book, I'm hoping, will contribute to various fields of Mormon history and scripture exegesis. You will no doubt take particular interest in the discussion of the Jaredites in Chapter 10.

After your glowing endorsement here, I almost feel like I should acknowledge you in the book itself. Ah well, too late for that now!

Thanks anyway, old friend!

Don
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Congratulations, Don. Glad you dropped by!
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951