The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: The Lost 116 Pages, by Don Bradley

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DonBradley wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Just in time for Christmas, Greg Kofford Books has just released Don Bradley’s long awaited and greatly anticipated book about the lost first (but incomplete) version of the Book of Mormon. I am thrilled to see this happen, as it is a project Don has poured himself into for a very long time. The value of the research and historical sleuthing here should not be underestimated. Congratulations to Don, longtime friend of our MormonDiscussions.com community, and personal friend to a number of us, including Dr. Shades!

Thank you, Rev. K.!

I don't join in online discussion nearly as much these days, but I enjoy popping in sometimes and seeing what old friends are saying and sometimes following the evolution of others' thinking, like some of the new insights of our Backyard Professor.

The book, I'm hoping, will contribute to various fields of Mormon history and scripture exegesis. You will no doubt take particular interest in the discussion of the Jaredites in Chapter 10.

After your glowing endorsement here, I almost feel like I should acknowledge you in the book itself. Ah well, too late for that now!

Thanks anyway, old friend!

Don

Who was that? :surprised:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Dr. Shades wrote:The most amazing thing, in my mind, is that there's enough material on this subject to put into a book.

Remember that the movie SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION is a good adaptation of a Short Story written by Steven King.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DonBradley wrote:Thank you, Rev. K.!

I don't join in online discussion nearly as much these days, but I enjoy popping in sometimes and seeing what old friends are saying and sometimes following the evolution of others' thinking, like some of the new insights of our Backyard Professor.

The book, I'm hoping, will contribute to various fields of Mormon history and scripture exegesis. You will no doubt take particular interest in the discussion of the Jaredites in Chapter 10.

After your glowing endorsement here, I almost feel like I should acknowledge you in the book itself. Ah well, too late for that now!

Thanks anyway, old friend!

Don

Ah, well, I feel that my writings here on the MDB have at the very least inspired you in some way, Don. When I read the book, it is as though I can detect my fingerprints faintly impressed on its pages. Acknowledging me by name might have driven some of your early readers to distraction. So, needless to say, I am thankful you dropped by here to set the record straight. As long as MDB exists, there will be a record, like voices crying out from the dust, that the great historian Don Bradley owed something, however small, to a musty old Jaredite scholar and man of the cloth.

Thank YOU, old friend.

K
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Bahahahaha! You are a master of your craft, Reverend.

(Wait, "reverend"..."craft"--that wouldn't make it priestcraft, would it? :wink: Whatever it is, you do it so well!)

Your writings always seem to me to have a familiar spirit, almost as if we'd been friends in some previous life, a pre-mortal life, a previous incarnation among the very people we both study, or an earlier life together in the Zoo, or perhaps just as if we'd known each other most of our lives...

Curious.

Don
DISCLAIMER: Life is short. So I'm here to discuss scholarship, not apologetic-critical debate.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It will be fun to see appendix VII in which the Royal Nephite Planning Commission sets the boundaries of limited geography settlement from Acapulco to San Salvador. Even more poignant will be appendix IX in which the Joint Commission of Cureloms and Cumoms agree to give all artifacts of the 800-year span of their friends the Nephites in their limited geography settlement, a decent burial at sea, and to save all gold fillings to defray the cost of future Temple building.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

DonBradley wrote:Bahahahaha! You are a master of your craft, Reverend.

(Wait, "reverend"..."craft"--that wouldn't make it priestcraft, would it? :wink: Whatever it is, you do it so well!)

Your writings always seem to me to have a familiar spirit, almost as if we'd been friends in some previous life, a pre-mortal life, a previous incarnation among the very people we both study, or an earlier life together in the Zoo, or perhaps just as if we'd known each other most of our lives...

Curious.

Don

The laborer in the vineyard is worthy of his hire. And one must be a crafty laborer these days. But I need to level with you here: we do know each other from a past life, and we have always treated each other fair and square, no matter how completely our enemies encompassed us.

Next time you are traveling to the East, we must get together, brother. Next summer I hope to travel to the West, albeit not too far. I’ve fixed my mind upon it, and I will not be moved, nor my determination changed. I promise to bring you some token of our friendship when I do.

Ever your servant, etc.,

Hon. Rev. Severus Mahan Kishkumen, DDiv, PhD, MM
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Kishkumen wrote:The laborer in the vineyard is worthy of his hire. And one must be a crafty laborer these days. But I need to level with you here: we do know each other from a past life, and we have always treated each other fair and square, no matter how completely our enemies encompassed us.

Next time you are traveling to the East, we must get together, brother. Next summer I hope to travel to the West, albeit not too far. I’ve fixed my mind upon it, and I will not be moved, nor my determination changed. I promise to bring you some token of our friendship when I do.

Ever your servant, etc.,

Hon. Rev. Severus Mahan Kishkumen, DDiv, Ph.D., MM

:lol: :lol:

I will be prepared for you when you come from the East, brother.

And I have sent unto you a nugget of wisdom, even a gold nugget!

Yours in the E.C.,

Don
DISCLAIMER: Life is short. So I'm here to discuss scholarship, not apologetic-critical debate.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

With all the buzz on this book, the ancient 15 took up the issue, that is the whereabouts of those pesky 116 pages,in their last Thursday Temple call. Full Nelson told the astounded brethern that he had been praying for a revelation on the lost 116 pages and had received an answer which he wrote down on a Marriott paper pad while he and Wendy were staying in the far, far east where their is little food for the masses but delightful offerings at the Marriot! He could only reveal a portion of the revelation as a salamander named Sam with a sword with the letters L A B A N engraved on it, indicated Wendy's fingers would be separated from her hand if he did not follow Sam's instruction. Nelson not wanting to be married to a one-handed woman fully complied. Here is what full Nelson revealed to the Brutheeerrrrren !

"the 116 pages were not lost,yea an angel secured them from Martin's Harris wife as she attempted to destroy them by fire. the angel actually Moroni a resurrected being with full manhood equipment stayed her hand with a wrist lock as often seen on WWE, looking painful but really of no consequence. Moroni told Lucy? that she would be in deep do-do( reformed Egyptian for s*#t) if she had carried out the act. But she did not and God is a man of tender mercies and Lucy was told to pay her tithing, go to the temple, pray and read the scriptures and all would be well for her. While shaking her head in a "yes yes" motion, the angel heard her mutter something but could not understand the words. Lucy actually said "over my dead body will i do these BS things", all the while she only appeared to want to comply.

Moroni told Lucy that God was a God of mystery and intrigue and took the 116 pages from her wristlocked hand, told Lucy the 116 pages would be sent to earth in the latter days; he then a rose up into the sky! Moroni was seen reading the pages as he was flying at only 1 MPH and Lucy recalled he was laughing all the way! It was near Christmas when this event happened."

Full Nelson told the brutheeerrrn that the salamander told him that if he was a good PSR and also a good little boy that there would be a special treat for him in his stocking at Christmas in the year according to the Gregorian calendar of 2019. He said the remainder of the revelation could only be received if he could name the king in FAC 3 of the Book of Abraham. When he heard this full Nelson weeped exceedingly much, so much he used up all the toilet paper in the Marriott, much to Wendy's chagrin because it was her "time".

When the temple session was over the 14 raised their hands upright and turned one to another and practiced the WWE wristlock as a fully exhausted full Nelson was dancing for joy in front of a large body length eternity mirror. After this the 14 then headed to City Creek Mall to complete their Christmas shopping each using the church appointed credit card. Full Nelson hurried to the Dollar Tree store in his very black cadillac SUV and picked out 3 stockings- one for Wendy, one for himself and one for the surprise the angel Moroni promised. He was wheeled back into the SUV and taken unto his very very nice church provided penthouse apartment. Upon arriving and seeing her husband in a state of such joy, Wendy grabbed him by the wrist(yep you guessed it), and whispered in his good ear " Stay for a couple of hours-have I got a surprise for you". Full Nelson, as with the salamander named Sam wielding a sword, fully complied and told Wendy "I will fully comply but onlyif you put me into a double wristlock(what else could it be).

What happened to SAM you ask/don't ask ; well SAM was really Peter, James and John, you know 3 in 1 and all that, but mainly SAM is the apostle John ,still tarrying on the earth until Jesus comes again,hoping it will be soon because of age, he is over 2000 years old in man' s time but only 200 in God's time but John has neither purse,nor scrip nor watch nor Gregorian calendar -all he knows is he is very very tired of being John, SAM and Peter James and John, mainly because he has very very serious warddrobe issues on a daily basis.

Not the 116 pages-read Don's book; but just a thought,

k
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Here are the contents from Don's new book.

Contents

Introduction:
Looking for What Was Lost, ix
Acknowledgments, xix

Part 1: The Lost Pages
1. The Ark of the New Covenant, 3
2. The Sealed Book, 15
3. Translating the Nephite Record, 37
4. The Manuscript Theft, 57
5. The Long Blue Lost Manuscript, 83

Part 2: The Missing Stories
6. Reconstructing the Lost Manuscript, 107
7. A Passover Setting for Lehi’s Exodus, 121
8. Lehi’s Tabernacle in the Wilderness, 145
9. The Seven Tribes of Lehi, 157
10. Nephi’s Conquest, 169
11. Nephi’s Temple, 193
12. The Lost Middle Period, 209
13. God and Aminadi in the Temple, 221
14. The Mosian Reform, 241
15. The Book of Benjamin, 275
Conclusion: Insights from What Was Found, 285

Bibliography, 293
Scripture Index, 305
Subject Index, 311

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/724 ... es-is-out/

Lehi's Tabernacle in the wilderness seems very interesting. I would like to have a signed copy of Don's new book.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

Don, any comment about that rumor from a year or two back about the pages turning up in someone’s safe deposit box and now being in the church’s possession? Dan Judd is the guy’s name, I think. I was super skeptical on first hearing it, but then thought ehhhh, maybe. Regardless of this specific example, I think it’s possible they still exist somewhere. As you say in the interview, the notion that they were burned isn’t really the certainty that was previously thought. So who knows, they could still turn up. And we have two examples of important Mormon artifacts thought lost for a century or more that were discovered; a Kinderhook plate and some of the Book of Abraham scrolls.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation