New Gospel,Topics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

New Gospel,Topics

Post by _I have a question »

“We are actively updating existing topics and will add new topics each month,” said Katrina Cannon, Gospel Topics editor. An update may be as simple as fine-tuning or updating the list of related conference talks or rearranging the order of resources. A topic may also need updating to align with new policies, she said. “We try to keep them all up-to-date but some still need attention.”

Church Councils, Family Councils, Ministering and Plan of Salvation are newly added topics. Many additional topics are in various stages of researching, writing and reviewing. “All updates to existing topics and all new topics are approved by General Authorities,” Cannon said.

A separate category of Gospel Topics are Gospel Topics Essays, which the Church began publishing in 2013 to help dispel inaccuracies about the Church. These 11 additional in-depth essays, which have been approved by the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, cover topics such as Joseph Smith’s Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women; Plural Marriage; and Race and the Priesthood. Additional essays will be added in the future.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2 ... ues-169658
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: New Gospel,Topics

Post by _Gadianton »

Church Councils, Family Councils, Ministering and Plan of Salvation are newly added topics.

that sure does sound brand new and exciting. Fresh stuff nobody has ever learned about.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Weee!
Lather, Rinse, Repeat
or Rinse, Lather, Repeat
or Repeat, Lather, Rinse
or Lather, Repeat, Rinse
or . . . . . . . . .
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Bore em til their stiff........ My gawd when are they going to wake up?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Conservative starched shirts don't like change. Take another happy pill ladies and gents, you'll need it with these topics.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

Doesn’t matter. The essays haven’t saved anyone from leaving the church. In fact, all the essays do is confirm to someone reading the CES letter or other internet stuff the church does in fact hide/whitewash it’s history.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Sanctorian wrote:Doesn’t matter. The essays haven’t saved anyone from leaving the church. In fact, all the essays do is confirm to someone reading the CES letter or other internet stuff the church does in fact hide/whitewash it’s history.

I disagree. The essays act as a tool for people who want to stay in (as well as do exactly what you describe) to say "the Church is open or is trying to be open about these difficult issues. There is nothing to hide and these experts know what they're talking about."

My disagreement was logged because I've heard this or something similar from many a member.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Stem wrote:I disagree. The essays act as a tool for people who want to stay in (as well as do exactly what you describe) to say "the Church is open or is trying to be open about these difficult issues. There is nothing to hide and these experts know what they're talking about."

My disagreement was logged because I've heard this or something similar from many a member.

When I run into a member who actually claims to have read the essays (still a rare occurrence) I ask them if they believe the essays are accurately portraying the subject. I have yet to run into a member who has done anything more than read the essay(s).
"What footnotes?"
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Fence Sitter wrote:

When I run into a member who actually claims to have read the essays (still a rare occurrence) I ask them if they believe the essays are accurately portraying the subject. I have yet to run into a member who has done anything more than read the essay(s).
"What footnotes?"

Same here...for the most part. Rare exceptions.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

And that's the Mormon culture. Keep em busier and less informed than anyone ought to be. There has been an overall dumbing down in our country, and within the religions as well. At least that's how it appears to me without having done any scientific analysis and stats.....
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."