Year-end university announcement and a special award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Year-end university announcement and a special award

Post by _Lemmie »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Dean,

News spread quickly of this misplaced attempt to replace you.

My understanding is that there was an overwhelming and united response from the major donors, professors and students to keep you as the Dean.

The student union was even planning a coordinated walk out if you were not immediately reinstated.

Thankfully, everything worked out.

I think we should have a yearly remembrance thread, wherein we don’t bring it up, because we are above bringing it up in threads that we ourselves entitle:

“Remember when that almost happened?”

And then on the 7th anniversary, we can have a huge celebration, culminating in a spanking party. (Hey, if the Maxwell Institute is good enough to get spanked every 7th year, then surely we deserve the same.)
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Isn’t receiving a Lifetime Achievement award tantamount to being pronounced dead? Surely the good (bad) Doctor has many more semesters of investigative mischief ahead of him/her...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I have a question wrote:Isn’t receiving a Lifetime Achievement award tantamount to being pronounced dead? Surely the good (bad) Doctor has many more semesters of investigative mischief ahead of him/her...

Wait...What?

Did Dr. Scratch retire?!
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

An aptly timed announcement for sure.

I will too express my congratulations to Dr. Scratch. I'm sure he's feeling a bit embarrassed by the gracious honor, but his dedication is certainly unmatched.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Congrats...you the man!!!
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I am beside myself: I don't know what to say. All I *can* say, I suppose, is thank you. Thank you to Dean Robbers, for his boundless support and generosity. Thanks, too, to all the valuable and supportive colleagues: Rev. Kishkumen; Dr. Moore; Dr. Sophee; Dr. Lemmie; Dr. Darth J.; Dr. / Stake President Wang Chung, Dr. Symmachus, and so on. You are all incredibly kind. This project--the scholarly investigation of Mopologetics--would never be possible without your help and contributions. (After all, if it weren't for you, who would help out with peer review?) Thanks to all, and a very Happy Holiday Season!

As for Dr. Robbers's other announcement.... Well, let's just say that it's never healthy for upper administration to stay in a position of stasis, and clearly, the Provost has bungled things enormously this time. I sense that the tide of public opinion is turning against him, and I anticipate that the position of Provost of Cassius University will be vacant within the coming months. I don't know about you, but I certainly think that "Provost Robbers" has a very nice ring to it. I can't think of a better candidate for the job.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Bond James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond James Bond »

As I continue to see Cassius University flourish it brings joy to my heart and tears to my eyes. A hearty congratulations to my dear professor, Dr. Scratch, for his award and more importantly the many students be continues to mentor and send onward to the Ivy League and distinguished academies abroad. And thank you to the entire faculty and administration for keeping me on payroll despite my extended sabbatical. Those dollars might have helped the poor but I'd have been been the poorer if they didn't help me buy a new BMW. See you at the Christmas party and no time else. :smile:
Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded.-charity 3/7/07

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Congratulations to Dr. Scratch on his well deserved Lifetime Achievement Award. Truth be told, there could have been no other choice.

I recall selecting the good Doctor from among all of the characters on the board as an individual to be trusted and reaching out to him for some mentoring soon after arriving at MDB and having immediately drawn fire from a certain Dr. Peterson. He didn't disappoint.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."