What Should The Church Do With The 100 Billion?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

What Should The Church Do With The 100 Billion?

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Everyone is aware of The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. It's the largest charitable foundation in the world and has approximately 50.7 billion in assets.

Just take a look at all of the good the Foundation is doing around the world. Literally, the Foundation has permanently improved the lives of millions and millions worldwide. From disease eradication to education, the Foundation is a major force for good in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_ ... Foundation

Could you imagine the force for good the Church could be if it took 60 billion dollars and founded the world's largest charity to alleviate suffering, eradicate diseases, help end illiteracy and provide educational opportunities to millions of people around the world?

The charity could be set up just like The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and it would only use the annual interest of the 60 billion, so it would never diminish.

Also, think of the goodwill and positive publicity the Church would receive from every country in the world. And, the EPA would still have 40 billion dollars to do with whatever the Church wanted (pave the streets gold).

I know the Church will never do this, but it's interesting to think about the positive impact the Church could actually have around the world if it wasn't so greedy.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Re: What Should The Church Do With The 100 Billion?

Post by _consiglieri »

I think if most on this board became church prez and discovered the existence of this account, we would be rubbing our hands with glee thinking all the good we could do with it.

And then doing it.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

consiglieri wrote:I think if most on this board became church prez and discovered the existence of this account, we would be rubbing our hands with glee thinking all the good we could do with it.

And then doing it.

Amen.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Would it take $100 Billion to find a cure for cancer or much less?

Ratchet up the fresh water programs in Africa to a much bigger scale?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

consiglieri wrote:I think if most on this board became church prez and discovered the existence of this account, we would be rubbing our hands with glee thinking all the good we could do with it.

And then doing it.

They already think that is what they are doing.

The SLC leadership is convinced that the most important thing in the world for anyone anywhere to do is join their church.

Whether it be here or in a non-existent afterlife, leadership is dedicated to doing whatever it takes to reaching that goal. Doing what they can to ameliorate real life human misery is not as important as telling people who are dead or alive about Mormon Jesus.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Sanctorian
_Emeritus

Post by _Sanctorian »

I’d refund all the tithing I stole from the 99%. The 1% I’d keep from the Romney's of the world I would donate to the Democratic Party and color little rainbows on each dollar billion to keep balance in the force.
I'm a Ziontologist. I self identify as such.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

How about just paying their own employees a bit more?
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The Bill Gates foundation doesn't count. It is not done with the right priesthood, therefore it isn't really good. When I told one of my Mormon neighbors a few years back that I gave some money to several people standing out in the cold by Walmart, he told me that doesn't count as charity, the only true charity is done under priesthood authority and only when the money is given to the church. :rolleyes:

Truly astounding! In the mean time, I wish all of you a VERY MERRY Christmas!!!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

Philo Sofee wrote:The Bill Gates foundation doesn't count. It is not done with the right priesthood, therefore it isn't really good. When I told one of my Mormon neighbors a few years back that I gave some money to several people standing out in the cold by Walmart, he told me that doesn't count as charity, the only true charity is done under priesthood authority and only when the money is given to the church. :rolleyes:

Truly astounding! In the mean time, I wish all of you a VERY MERRY Christmas!!!

I spit out my coffee and baileys at this. Hubris at it’s most elegant.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

To be honest I don’t really care because I have exactly 0% influence over it, don’t pay into it, and they’re going to tie themselves into knots to justify whatever it is they’re going to do anyway. I got myself out, I fought like a idiot to get my girls out, and now my wife and I are doing great and spend our tithes on causes that actually mean something to us on a very personal level.

I would like to see all churches pay taxes, though. What a scam.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.