Ghost Committee Theology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Arc
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Arc »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:You know. Having worked on my share of committees where the end product was a mish mash of ideas and unhappy compromises, this idea is really starting to make sense.

- Doc

This idea looks like an excellent example of deus ex machina, a classical, often supernatural, literary device used in plays and fiction to:

- disentangle a plot and bring about resolution in an otherwise impossible situation, (Check)

- introduce comedic relief, (Check)

- surprise an audience? (Not so much when it comes to Mormonism.)
"The effort to understand the universe is one of the very few things which lifts human life a little above the level of farce and gives it some of the grace of tragedy." Steven Weinberg
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Kishkumen wrote:
Maksutov wrote:The saints join arms with the Swedenborgians and Spiritualists. :lol:

Ron Huggins has written a fascinating article on Swedenborgian modalism in the Book of Mormon. Now I suppose we have a better idea how Swedenborg’s influence found its way into the Book of Mormon. He must have been a member of the Ghost Committee!

We need to start compiling a list of the most likely members of this committee. We can debate the proposed members until we achieve the best possible list.

William Tyndale
John Dee
Francis Bacon
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Marsilio Ficino
Red Jacket (temporarily translated)

Others?
Would that Bulwer-Lytton appeared on yon list; as literary critics oft observe: alas, he died too late.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Kishkumen wrote:Ron Huggins has written a fascinating article on Swedenborgian modalism in the Book of Mormon. Now I suppose we have a better idea how Swedenborg’s influence found its way into the Book of Mormon. He must have been a member of the Ghost Committee!

We need to start compiling a list of the most likely members of this committee. We can debate the proposed members until we achieve the best possible list.

William Tyndale
John Dee
Francis Bacon
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Marsilio Ficino
Red Jacket (temporarily translated)

Others?

Would that Bulwer-Lytton appeared on yon list; as literary critics oft observe: alas, he died too late.

If he were, the Book of Mormon would have been considerably longer.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Morley wrote:
Bret Ripley wrote:Would that Bulwer-Lytton appeared on yon list; as literary critics oft observe: alas, he died too late.

If he were, the Book of Mormon would have been considerably longer.
"I, Nephi, being born of goodly parents on one dark and stormy night, on which the rain was only interrupted, it may be observed, by gusts of ponderous filler-prose."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Bret Ripley wrote:"I, Nephi, being born of goodly parents on one dark and stormy night, on which the rain was only interrupted, it may be observed, by gusts of ponderous filler-prose."

That entire phrase, of course, can be accurately translated from this Reformed Egyptian symbol:

§

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Kishkumen:

....We do not often think of all the spirits of the dead may be doing as they wait for their resurrection. Sometimes they seem to visit us. But what else?

...Might this include work beyond the veil done for descendants struggling in mortality? It is difficult to avoid the strong possibility.

Why not, then, the Ghost Committee, working to provide Joseph Smith new scripture?

And what the dead had no speech for, when living,
They can tell you, being dead: the communication
Of the dead is tongued with fire beyond the language of the living.

T.S. Eliot, “Little Gidding”
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

The Rev wrote:Would it be too much to hope for a second film, Spirit Translators, to accompany the soon-to-be-released Witnesses?

Not at all. They even have a good 915,000$ to produce it if my math is right.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Fence Sitter wrote:Adam Clarke
Jane Lead
John L. Mosheim
Charles Buck
Thomas Dick
Flavius Josephus
Plato
Origin
Proclus
John Allen
William Hone

Great list!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

We need to make sure the Brethren receive this list and thread so as to help them keep updated on this newest Spiritual Discovery which may save Mormonism yet...
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I'm excited by the thought of ghost committee theology and its potential. I can't wait to read what the true scholars on this board provide. In celebration of the future possibilities, I present the first verse of "If You Could Hie to Kolob" translated into Early Modern English:

If 't be true thee couldst hie to kolob

in the twinkling of an eye,

and then continueth onward

with yond same speedeth to flyeth,

doth thee bethink yond thee couldst ev'r,

through all et'rnity,

findeth out the gen'ration

whither gods beganeth to beest?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen