Ghost Committee Theology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Folks,

There is only one way we are going to finally figure this all out:

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:That entire phrase, of course, can be accurately translated from this Reformed Egyptian symbol:

§

Creatively and culturally translated, that is.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Fence Sitter wrote:Adam Clarke
Jane Lead
John L. Mosheim
Charles Buck
Thomas Dick
Flavius Josephus
Plato
Origin
Proclus
John Allen
William Hone

No reason this should be an all spirit boy's club.

Jean D'Arc
Lucretia Borgia
Queen Boudicca of the Iceni
Alys, Wife of Bath
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha wrote:No reason this should be an all spirit boy's club.

Jean D'Arc
Lucretia Borgia
Queen Boudicca of the Iceni
Alys, Wife of Bath

Very true! Of course, Jane Lead may take exception to being called a boy.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:Not at all. They even have a good 915,000$ to produce it if my math is right.

I trust your math and do hope that we have all of the pertinent facts. After the blockbuster opening of Witnesses, there may be a hue and cry if the Ghost Committee sequel fails to manifest.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Finally the Book of Mormon origins are being taken seriously by our apologist friends. I think the committee idea might be getting a challenge by Skousen. He indicated the creative and culturally inspired translator was one.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Bret Ripley wrote:"I, Nephi, being born of goodly parents on one dark and stormy night, on which the rain was only interrupted, it may be observed, by gusts of ponderous filler-prose."

That entire phrase, of course, can be accurately translated from this Reformed Egyptian symbol:

§

- Doc
Are you quite certain? If so, I am obliged for the correction: in my notes I had that symbol down as the First Folio version of "Titus Andronicus."
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:Folks,

There is only one way we are going to finally figure this all out:

Who art thee going to calleth?

Apparition Hunteth'rs!
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

And now behold, is there aught in the lands of thy neighbors that seemeth to thine eye to be worked, as it were, with a curious workmanship?

Verily, then, upon whose name shalt thou call?

Even upon the name of them that break in sunder the ghosts.

And then, lo, behold well with thine eye, and observe, if there be aught awry, that it pleaseth not thine eye, neither seemeth it to be good in the sight of thine eye nor of the eyes of thy children.

Upon whose name shalt thou call?

Even upon the very name of them that verily break in sunder the ghosts, yea, that rend them in twain.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Kishkumen wrote:
Maksutov wrote:The saints join arms with the Swedenborgians and Spiritualists. :lol:

Ron Huggins has written a fascinating article on Swedenborgian modalism in the Book of Mormon. Now I suppose we have a better idea how Swedenborg’s influence found its way into the Book of Mormon. He must have been a member of the Ghost Committee!

We need to start compiling a list of the most likely members of this committee. We can debate the proposed members until we achieve the best possible list.

William Tyndale
John Dee
Francis Bacon
Emmanuel Swedenborg
Marsilio Ficino
Red Jacket (temporarily translated)

Others?

Cagliostro seems like an inspiration to the likes of Smith. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov