Ghost Committee Theology

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

When Mr. Skousen states (to the dowsing dandy):

The Book of Mormon is an account of real people and real events, but its translation is not a literal one.

I have to wonder there’s a whole genre of literature I’ve missed called inspired nonfiction.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Ghost Committee Theology

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:When Mr. Skousen states (to the dowsing dandy):

The Book of Mormon is an account of real people and real events, but its translation is not a literal one.

I have to wonder there’s a whole genre of literature I’ve missed called inspired nonfiction.

Reliance on the idea of a non-literal translation is effectively a dodge and a stalling tactic. How non-literal? There is conceivably quite a wide range. Add to that the idea that this is now not just non-literal linguistically but also culturally, and now there is no telling how much leeway is envisioned.

This is a moving target built on nothing more than faith in Joseph Smith’s claim that the text is ancient, but, frankly, he lacked any expertise for making that judgment, regardless of his sincerity.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist