Congrats to Exiled

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Congrats to Exiled

Post by _Gadianton »

Out yonder on a remote blog, our very own Exiled has made what some have hailed as a "prudent tactical choice" by earning a doctorate degree and updating his name to "Dr. Exiled". Fittingly, the news arrived on a troll-fest post about water witching where a primary blog author and several from the ranks of the junior tier recount the times they've thrown in with the occult. I did not read the main entry but I did skim some of the silliness in the comment section.

Some great gems from both Dr. Exiled and Gemli. I, like Dr. Exiled would love to have seen the apologists take James Randi up on his challenge. In the past I've enjoyed watching old Randi episodes, where he makes occultists such as those at Sic et Non look like utter fools. But Randi does ultimately agree with those at Sic et Non -- you just never know. And so you really have to give Randi credit for challenging the Mopologist "Snite" narrative. Can they say in this case that the skeptics haven't given the occult a proper hearing?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Re: Congrats to Exiled

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dean,

Am I correctly understanding this? Did the proprietor of SEN actually threaten to ban Exiled just because he added "Dr." to his name?

What in the world....
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

It does appear that an advanced education isn't well-tolerated on that blog if you are a critic.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

My god the tone deafness of the Dowsing Doctor bitching about someone using "Dr." as a title WHILE ON A WATER WITCHING THREAD is about as perfect as it can get.

Mormon. Priesthood holder. BYU Professor.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:My god the tone deafness of the Dowsing Doctor bitching about someone using "Dr." as a title WHILE ON A WATER WITCHING THREAD is about as perfect as it can get.

Mormon. Priesthood holder. BYU Professor.

- Doc

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

My Lord, another object lesson in Mormon intellectual buffoonery from the same comments section:

Raymond "A rock and an iphone are basically the same thing" Swenson > David B • 4 hours ago • edited

I have an object made of rock, including silicon, germanium, and lithium. It allows me to speak to people thousands of miles away, even see them. It tells me where I am and how to travel to destinations hundreds of miles away through areas that I have no familiarity with. It allows me to translate languages. It can measure my pulse and blood oxygen levels. It tells me the time anywhere in the world. It tells me my bank account balance and allows me to deposit checks without going to the bank, and send money to businesses and family members at times in the future. It allows me to read the scriptures. I can speak to it and have questions answered about all sorts of topics. I can find out where my son is during a two thousand mile cross country drive. I can use it as a flashlight. I can power it with another item made from rock. And it is made of minerals. It is a sufficiently advanced technology that is indistinguishable from magic.

I'm having a hard time noticing any differences.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have to thank Doctor CamNC4Me for the encouragement and faith he had in me. It was a trying time full of doubt and distress, but I decided to doubt my doubts and press forward. I shall be known as Dr. Exiled over at Sic et Non and have requested that Dr. Shades allow me to change my title to Dr. Exiled over here. I feel humbled to join so many esteemed colleagues.

Yes, Dr. Peterson is resisting my new title and duly threatened to run me out if I persist in calling myself Dr. Exiled, even though I am a juris doctor in real life. Only unnamed experts who believe in dowsing and ghost committees shall have Dr. attached to their name or his confederates.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Is it bad form to address you as Doctor Exiled, Esq?
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Ab-so-lutely astonishing! CONGRATS Dr. Exiled!!!!! I think I speak for everyone here when I say you can spread that DR. all over here all you like. We encourage advancing and thinking people here, so long as our own dowsing pointers allow us.... :biggrin:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Congratulations, Dr. Exiled.

Well done. Well done indeed.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."