Coronavirus halts missionary work in Hong Kong

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Coronavirus halts missionary work in Hong Kong

Post by _I have a question »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Tuesday night it will transfer 113 missionaries out of its Hong Kong Mission because working conditions have become difficult with the coronavirus outbreak.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ld ... ar-BBZEKm7

Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff said no missionaries have tested positive for the virus. According to Tuesday’s release, for several days before leaving Hong Kong, missionaries have remained in their apartments as much as possible, not engaged in teaching, worn masks and frequently washed their hands.

Working conditions? Teaching? I thought the Church had promised not to conduct missionary work in China?

I guess the Church doesn’t have a lot of confidence in the power of prayer and Priesthood Blessings...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Coronavirus halts missionary work in Hong Kong

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:I thought the Church had promised not to conduct missionary work in China?

Hong Kong was dedicated as an autonomous city from mainland China for 50 years following the British departure. Viruses do not respect such a political accommodation. I doubt the Church wanted to pay for the cost of those surgical masks for the missionaries.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Equality
_Emeritus

Post by _Equality »

Why did the Prophet send 113 missionaries to a place where he knew a dangerous virus would be breaking out. Certainly, the omniscient Mormon God, in communicating to the Prophet where to send each missionary, would have warned his Prophet about the outbreak, no?
"The Church is authoritarian, tribal, provincial, and founded on a loosely biblical racist frontier sex cult."--Juggler Vain
"The lds church is the Amway of religions. Even with all the soap they sell, they still manage to come away smelling dirty."--Some Schmo
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Wouldn't it be more effective to just use their Priesthood, heal the Corona Virus infection in everyone, and organize the church there in the land like they USED to in the Book of Mormon and other LDS scriptures? Remember when Tertullian challenged the church of his day, who were claiming they had the truth, that if they had the gifts of the Spirit, including healing the sick, he would follow them, and since they weren't healing anyone, he left the church! He told the church when you show me you have the gifts I will be back...... Perhaps there are greater parallels between Mormonism and early Christianity than Mormons wish there were! Just as early Christianity apostatized, so did its later restoration, even though it claims that would never happen, it has every single one of the same signs and same problems the early church in Jesus' day had, INCLUDING failing and flailing apologists against those who disagreed with their doctrines and interpretations, even to the point of denigrating and name calling!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There seems to be an alarming rate of virus transmission:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

The wet markets of China seem to hold a convenient vector of transmission for this coronavirus.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

From what I've read on MDDB, you all might have gotten it backwards. Perhaps God brought the virus right about the time that anti-Mormons revealed the 100B fund, knowing that RTM Nelson would send a couple of million in medical supplies and be shown to be a hero?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:From what I've read on Mormon Dialogue & Discussion Board, you all might have gotten it backwards. Perhaps God brought the virus right about the time that anti-Mormons revealed the 100B fund, knowing that RTM Nelson would send a couple of million in medical supplies and be shown to be a hero?

Oh! Why of course........ how could I have forgotten that perspective.... silly me.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."