Trump Tells Romney His Religion is a Crutch

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Trump Tells Romney His Religion is a Crutch

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Using your faith and prayers is a weakness! He told Romney it is phoney, or something similar to that. NOW I wonder what Mormons will think of their beloved Prophet President disses their religion. He obviously does not respect Mormonism. Has anyone seen anything any Mormons have said. Is their pussy grabbing, Mormon dissing Prophet President still their hero and secular moral authority?
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: Trump Tells Romney His Religion is a Crutch

Post by _DrW »

Hard to imagine just how much the Evangelicals must love Trump after his unhinged attack on the religion of a fellow Republican.

Best way for Trump to lose big in 2020? Just keep being Trump.

Hope Utah Mormon Republicans write in Romney for President in 2020.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The whole thing is somewhat shocking and just sad if you ask me. In a way, I feel sorry for Romney and feel he's been thrown under the bus and dumped. But Romney is a big boy and understands the cut throat nature of politics. He will have to retire and move on. Perhaps he'll lecture or do news cast -- or just retire and leave it all behind.

I think Romney made a mistake mentioning religion and God in making his decision to impeach trump. Leave religion out of it! Leave God out of it! I recognize the fact he took a moral oath and that this oath included the traditional mention of God but there is so much more than God -- God is just an excuse for people to say they are righteous or do good. Anyone can be good and love people without religion or God. The religions have a very small mind when it comes to describing what or who God is. The Mormons are even worse with their penis toting Man-god who most certainly does have a hairy butt-crack and a belly button. The Mormon Man-god concept is just stupid. I wish Romney had not mentioned his faith or religion in providing his reasons to impeach Trump. It would have strengthened his credibility and given his opponents less ammunition to bash him.

Trump and the current Republican party is like snot running down the nose. It needs to be blown and wiped away. The white supremacist Christian controlled Republican party is going to weaken and ultimately become the minority. The majority of the American population is not happy with Trump or how the white Republicans have behaved. The whole thing is disgusting.

I hope the “F” that Trump suffers a heart attack or has a fatal stroke. The man is poison -- he's evil and has harmed this world in a terribly way. Drop dead, Trump! Get the hell off the planet!
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

There are two now closed threads over on the other board that discussed this very thing. That board, like our nation is divided into two camps. The chasm between the two is wide. Those who support Trump, Scott Lloyd being one of them, are as rabid as anything you would find at a MAGA rally in Bendover Alabama. Scott and others have completely thrown Romney under the bus calling him a sell out and a trader. Scott has stated that Romney needs to be voted out of office for what he did. Of course Mike Lee walks on water with those people. Scott has made it a point to point out that Mike is the son of Rex Lee of BYU fame. It is pretty discussing listening to their justifications. They can't even acknowledge that Romney was acting on his conscience. I had to take a shower and try to get clean after reading some of their posts.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I will state my respect for Romney. He demonstrated honesty integrity and courage. Qualities some people like Trump are unfamiliar with. That Trump does not recognize integrity is no surprise. It is a surprise how many other people show themselves unfamiliar as well.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:NOW I wonder what Mormons will think of their beloved Prophet President disses their religion. He obviously does not respect Mormonism.

I don't think any Mormon interprets it that way. They see Trump as condemning Romney's USE of his religion as a crutch; they're not seeing Trump condemn Mormonism in general.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:NOW I wonder what Mormons will think of their beloved Prophet President disses their religion. He obviously does not respect Mormonism.

I don't think any Mormon interprets it that way. They see Trump as condemning Romney's USE of his religion as a crutch; they're not seeing Trump condemn Mormonism in general.

Dictator Trump took a nasty swipe at Romney when he said:

Trump wrote:I don’t like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong

It's kind of a strange statement. Why would someone use their faith to justify doing what they know is wrong? It doesn't make sense to me. It's like he's saying that they are lying through their religion. But that's Trump, always spouting out negative energy while glossing positive things in a negative way. Everything Trump always says is encased or surrounded in a negative environment. Really, he's just an evil man who works and thinks in a negative vibration. He uses fear and intimidation.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:I will state my respect for Romney. He demonstrated honesty integrity and courage.

Christian militant Phil Graham doesn't seem to share your view:

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. wrote:It was politically driven, it was driven by people who are not looking for the truth, they hate Trump, they were going to impeach him the day he got elected and if you can’t see through this, your religion is clouding your thinking here

Here we see that Romney's Mormon religion was clouding his thinking in deciding to impeach trump but that Graham was using his CHRISTIAN thinking to just use his brain to spare Trump. Graham declared his faith in saying, "I used the common sense God gave me to understand this was a bunch of B.S." But Romney was clouded by the Mormon religion. Quite a statement!

It was a very bad day for Mormonism. It was probably Romney's worst day ever in seeing that the Christians would run him over and that his fellow Utah senator turned on him and drove over him too. What a sad tale. I feel sorry for Romney. But I totally agree with his conclusion in impeaching Trump. He shouldn't have mentioned his religion or faith.
_Fiannan
_Emeritus

Post by _Fiannan »

Oh come on, Romney is basking in the glow of his self-righteousness right now.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I think any Mormons that vote for Trump simply see him as a Porter Rockwell type, where God is using this unconventional man to chip away at the degenerate liberal policies that have been enacted namely abortion, normalization of perverse sexual proclivities, and overreach of the federal government. I'm sure there are more rationalizations, but you get the point.

Eta: For example, from Dowsing Dan’s blog:

Joel Hughes 13 hours ago

I don't see this as a Romney Trump issue, I see it as a constitutional issue. So if Romney has or had issues with Trump based on his behavior as a president, that is not justification for conviction. I can't stand Trump or the whole demagoguery of his movement. But I have a problem seeing anyone else standing up to the entrenchment like he has. I personally don't think anyone would have moved the Embassy form Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. No one. Not even Romney. I don't know why because I don't believe it myself, yet Trump did it. I didn't think Trump would be such a defender of the unborn. I hate his tweeting! He seems ignorant and foolish; but it's been a long time since the economy has been this good. Trump has done everything Obama said he couldn't do, and then some. He's reversed horrible Obama executive orders and tried to erase the entire Obama legacy, and has been quite successful at it.

Am I going to vote for Trump, I sure don't want to. I want to vote for whoever is telling him what to do because I'm not convinced it's Trump. As for Romney? I've spent almost every waking moment defending him against everyone here in Utah that is part of the SuperTrump group, my family in Idaho (superTrumpers), and almost everyone else I know. The only ones that I haven't had to defend Romney to is to my liberal democrat friends. But, I've taken the time to understand Romney and feel comfortable with him up until now.

Again, it's because this because it's a constitutional issue for me. The was nothing that proved and impeachable offense. Absolutely nothing and Romney new that. This feels more like John McCain voting against defunding Obamacare than an the senate impeachment deliberation.

Just my thoughts.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.