QAnon - consider yourself influenced

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: QAnon - consider yourself influenced

Post by _Gunnar »

It's like I said in a previous post. Some people are more strongly predisposed to become unreasonably certain and fanatical about what they choose to believe than others. It is often easier to convert many of these fanatical types from one brand of fanaticism to another than to cure them of being unreasonable fanatics. My favorite illustration of that notion remains the electric monk character from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, by Douglas Adams, who also authored The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series of novels. Some of us humans behave too much like the "electric monk." Too many of these types infest the internet.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Simon Southerton wrote:This reinforces the view I expressed in my post that Mormons and exmormons are very susceptible to being drawn in by QAnon.

Game Over wrote:Actually, the “Q” followers are world-wide and not even remotely associated with Mormonism. Back when the research group was on 8chn, people from many countries posted their research in support.

Madison54 wrote:It's definitely not a Mormon thing. I'm sure there are Mormons who are following "Q" though.

Please stop misquoting me. Of course it is not a Mormon thing. I said Mormons and exmormons are very susceptible to being drawn into it. There is a big difference.

I think Physics Guy nailed it.

Physics Guy wrote:When I was following ex-Scientology boards I noticed some ex-Scns were also into transparently kooky theories of various kinds. Some people can get out of a cult but not get the cult out of themselves.

A big part of it seemed to me to be that they needed the excitement of being one of the righteous few, whose righteousness consisted in having the correct beliefs.

Every Mormon youth has had it regularly drummed into them that they are the most elect generation God has sent to earth. Twelve-year-old boys are told they have more priesthood authority than the Pope. Many believe their “chosen” status began even before coming to earth.

It's easy to see how QAnon has particular appeal to minds washed with these delusions. Both Mormons and QAnon claim special insider knowledge about how things really are.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Simon Southerton wrote:Please stop misquoting me.

I didn't quote you. I was just giving my own personal observations in response to many of the comments here.

But, here is the quote from you regarding the connection to "Q" and Mormonism that caused many to include references to it in their comments:

I suspect that exmormons are particularly susceptible to this type of thinking given the enormous breach of trust that many feel, having been deceived by the church for so many years of their lives. I’m also convinced that many ultra-right wing Mormons are already wading around in this swamp and some visit this group from time to time.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Anecdotally, early in my participation in online Mormon-themed forums I noted a correlation between a person's political views and their position as a disillusioned member in relation to the LDS church. It seemed the average conservative view lined up with a person leaning into a form of NOM ism where they treated the church's authority claims as dubious and the history problematic, but it remained a good place to raise a family. I assumed this was likely due to a typical conservative sharing similar moral views regarding modern society. OTOH, those with more liberal views seemed much more likely to move on and leave the church behind and identify as no longer wanting to affiliate with the church. Again, this was anecdotal but it had reasonable predictive power when I was getting to know people on the few forums where I participated including here.

I bring that up because it it seems the Q CT is associated with a form of right-wing politics that has turned a clear perpetrator of sexual assault into a clandestine hero overthrowing the moral bankruptcy of the elite classes in Hollywood and Washington...kinda like how Joseph Smith and his legacy is viewed by LDS faithful as a moral beacon where the truth couldn't be further from this view.

So it begs the question - among the complex web of human behaviors that make the Q CT attractive to some people while being apparent as a hoax to others , does the fact the LDS faith has a similar issue with the central figure in its history being a sexual predator held up to be a saint influence whether someone with conservative leanings might be wired to see in Trump a champion bringing down extreme conspiracies around deviant, horrific sexual behavior?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Simon Southerton wrote:Every Mormon youth has had it regularly drummed into them that they are the most elect generation God has sent to earth. Twelve-year-old boys are told they have more priesthood authority than the Pope. Many believe their “chosen” status began even before coming to earth.

It's easy to see how QAnon has particular appeal to minds washed with these delusions. Both Mormons and QAnon claim special insider knowledge about how things really are.
LDS long have had a subculture of far-right Bircher types. There's a lot of cultural linkage between that and what QAnon has become. You'd expect an increased correlation between LDS and QAnon on that ground alone before you thought about epistemological attitudes.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Apophenia.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov