The Fastest Policy Change Ever?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Re: The Fastest Policy Change Ever?

Post by _Gadianton »

Aristotle wrote:Contradictory decisions and policies from a single organization that happen nearly simultaneously (50 days may as well be simultaneous for a large bureaucracy) are evidence that there seems to be at least two groups making decisions without regards to each other.

Possibly, but couldn't it also just mean that, okay, they were pressured to do something, fifty-fifty on if they can slip the change in without people noticing. Maybe a little less than 50, but change the language a little and don't say anything, and make sure the honor code police know to escalate before ever taking action in the future -- pretend not to notice whenever possible. But it goes south as some watching are ready to extrapolate everything they can from any concession no matter how small, and so suddenly they have to pull back before they have mutiny at the hands of the conservative rank and file.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Gadianton wrote:Possibly, but couldn't it also just mean that, okay, they were pressured to do something, fifty-fifty on if they can slip the change in without people noticing. Maybe a little less than 50, but change the language a little and don't say anything, and make sure the honor code police know to escalate before ever taking action in the future -- pretend not to notice whenever possible. But it goes south as some watching are ready to extrapolate everything they can from any concession no matter how small, and so suddenly they have to pull back before they have mutiny at the hands of the conservative rank and file.

Anything is possible. I have a hard time believing that they haven't noticed that nothing can be kept secret for any length of time. The November Exclusion policy had a much better chance of remaining secret and that was outed immediately. There's just no way an honor code change was going to remain hidden. There are too many parties at BYU that are putting pressure on the honor code office for anything to remain secret. Of course, I guess the GA's could still be incredibly obtuse on this point, but I'm guessing they have learned that lesson.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Gadianton wrote:... and so suddenly they have to pull back before they have mutiny at the hands of the conservative rank and file.

Playing nice goes again their very nature. It's like serving vegetables to Rottweilers, they will sniff at it and then sniff you. Best not to have the Brethren eaten by angry conservative members.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I think we have a new contender...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')