When will missionaries be instructed to stay home?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Re: When will missionaries be instructed to stay home?

Post by _Dr Moore »

I am 100% confident that general conference will become a televised event only - no conference center gathering and a "home centered" message for viewing strongly encouraged.

Failure to do otherwise would make church leaders look grossly negligent.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Dr Moore wrote:I am 100% confident that general conference will become a televised event only - no conference center gathering and a "home centered" message for viewing strongly encouraged.

Failure to do otherwise would make church leaders look grossly negligent.

How long before Covid-19 is labelled as an attempt by Satan to derail the special General Conference and Restoration Anniversary Nelson promised?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have a question wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Let's see if General Conference is affected.

If the Apostles had the courage of their convictions they wouldn’t be afraid to meet large congregations and shake the hands of strangers...Jesus didn’t shun lepers, why would Apostles shun Coronavirus sufferers? The opposite, they should be actively seeking them out to personally minister to them.

I have the funny feeling a well-known lurker cum blogger just found himself a new topic to poo poo.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Racer
_Emeritus

Post by _Racer »

When I was a diehard TBM mishie, no quarantine would have stopped me. I was that guy who was like: "The Lord commanded me to deliver a message of his gospel and I will not back down because of corona virus. I have faith that God will protect me! Let's go tracting post haste!"

I was definitely future GA material until I learned truth about the Book of Abraham and got side railed. :lol:
Tapirs... Yeah... That's the ticket!
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

oliblish wrote:
toon wrote:In other words, when will the Church jump on the panic bandwagon?

I think the key here is to listen to the experts at the CDC and WHO and avoid getting advice from politicians and cable news commentators.

Words of wisdom.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Given the prevalence of the disease around the world, they should not be putting missionaries on airplanes and moving them around. In particular, they should not be sending anyone to Africa. WHO is sweating bullets over the prospect of COVID-19 spreading like wildfire through countries that are just recovering from Ebola. That’s one of the reasons they’ve been begging countries not to give up on containment strategies.

The MTC is just a big ole COVID-19 incubator. They should shut it down.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:Let's see if General Conference is affected.

It wouldn't be at all if they would just exercise their priesthood. Say, something along the lines of healing the sick.... I'm just sayin... :wink:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Racer wrote:When I was a diehard TBM mishie, no quarantine would have stopped me. I was that guy who was like: "The Lord commanded me to deliver a message of his gospel and I will not back down because of corona virus. I have faith that God will protect me! Let's go tracting post haste!"

I was definitely future GA material until I learned truth about the Book of Abraham and got side railed. :lol:

The Lord works in mysterious way, yes indeedy! On my mission, my last winter out, the wind chill was -110 and I went tracting! Yep we are talkin dope kid.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

They have the priesthood so they are protected from any deadly thing. If they get the virus it would be their fault for not having enough faith. No recall or stand down. God would not approve.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Senior Missionaries pulled out of Europe.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is sending home all senior missionaries serving in Europe as well as all young missionaries with serious or chronic medical conditions, according to a news release issued Thursday

“These missionaries, who are at a higher risk for complications from COVID-19, come from 22 missions across Europe,” the statement said. “After returning home, they will self-isolate for 14 days. These missionaries will not receive a new temporary assignment but will be considered for reassignment once the COVID-19 situation abates.”

https://www.deseret.com/2020/3/12/21177 ... -of-europe

I guess confidence in faith, prayer, fasting and Priesthood blessings is at an all time low...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')