Covid-19:General Conf to be broadcast from empty conf center

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Covid-19:General Conf to be broadcast from empty conf center

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

So much for the power of the only living prophet upon the face of Elohims earth!

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... mat-change

We plan to conduct all five sessions of that conference at the Conference Center. General authorities, general officers and their spouses, musicians, choirs, technicians, and others will participate as assigned. But, proceedings of the conference will be distributed throughout the world via technology only.

The public will not be admitted in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City, or in stake centers or meetinghouses in areas where contagion is a concern

Why can't they just fast n pray away the contagion???
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Covid-19:General Conf to be broadcast from empty conf ce

Post by _grindael »

Jesus walked among and healed lepers and other who were sick or contagious. Wasn't afraid of catching anything. Why are Mormon prophets afraid? They could simply heal (with their vaunted priesthood power) anyone who gets the virus.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

After listening to RFM's series on the translation process and Joseph's seer stone, I've been thinking a lot about that seer stone. It occurred to me that the seer stone might be able to provide the cure for covid 19. It seems to be an all powerful stone. We already know it can find buried treasure AND translate languages. I'm sure that's not the limit of its power. It seems plausible that if you put the virus under a microscope, and then have a seer next to or over the microscope with the stone in a hat, the stone will reveal the cure. Of course a scribe will also be present to write it down in a notebook. Maybe it won't work, but it's worth a shot.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Very smart to do this.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

DarkHelmet wrote:After listening to RFM's series on the translation process and Joseph's seer stone, I've been thinking a lot about that seer stone. It occurred to me that the seer stone might be able to provide the cure for covid 19. It seems to be an all powerful stone. We already know it can find buried treasure AND translate languages. I'm sure that's not the limit of its power. It seems plausible that if you put the virus under a microscope, and then have a seer next to or over the microscope with the stone in a hat, the stone will reveal the cure. Of course a scribe will also be present to write it down in a notebook. Maybe it won't work, but it's worth a shot.

At least it could be used for diagnosis.

Doc with his face in a hat.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I'm blown away. Once again, Doctor Scratch is confirmed prophetic.

Doctor Scratch predicted the Church would use coronavirus as a way to cover up the BYU policy change fiasco. Here we go. Everyone knows the Brethren are dumb and backwards as crap, and so as institutions implement measures in the spirit of "social distancing" and so on, the Church, a few steps behind, implements easy policies and gets a lot of praise for it. They get praise because these are in fact important steps to take, but everyone knows how dumb the leaders are and it's up in the air whether they'll fall in line. And so as the Church implements easy wins that show it's doing its part and fears of coronavirus escalate, the BYU fiasco is all but forgotten.

I'll bet at least one of the Brethren if not more have entertained the thought that God has sent coronavirus as a means to deflect from all the recent bad press the Church has got. Recall, the leaders believe things like the Internet was invented for genealogy.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:I'm blown away. Once again, Doctor Scratch is confirmed prophetic.

Doctor Scratch predicted the Church would use coronavirus as a way to cover up the BYU policy change fiasco. Here we go. Everyone knows the Brethren are dumb and backwards as crap, and so as institutions implement measures in the spirit of "social distancing" and so on, the Church, a few steps behind, implements easy policies and gets a lot of praise for it. They get praise because these are in fact important steps to take, but everyone knows how dumb the leaders are and it's up in the air whether they'll fall in line. And so as the Church implements easy wins that show it's doing its part and fears of coronavirus escalate, the BYU fiasco is all but forgotten.

Maybe. I tend to think that this is just going to delay the inevitable.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Polygamy-Porter wrote:Why can't they just fast n pray away the contagion???

When it comes to the safety of the Brethren, they will go with medical science and not superstition. However, there is nothing stopping the support staff from blessing the hand sanitizer.

Essential services like Ensign Peak Investments will remain in full operation.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Why aren’t the Apostles out and about laying on hands and healing Covid-19 sufferers?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')