LDS church suspends all church gatherings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

LDS church suspends all church gatherings

Post by _Maksutov »

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2020/03 ... TfFnx_wTmM

To help combat the coronavirus pandemic, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is suspending public gatherings of church members worldwide “until further notice,” the Utah-based faith said in a statement Thursday.

That includes Sunday services and midweek activities for more than 30,000 congregations across the globe, not just in the faith’s Beehive State headquarters.

“Beginning immediately, all public gatherings of church members are being temporarily suspended worldwide until further notice,” the Salt Lake City-based faith announced in a news release. "This includes: stake conferences, leadership conferences and other large gatherings; all public worship services, including sacrament meetings; local congregational activities of branches, wards and regional stakes.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: LDS church suspends all church gatherings

Post by _Shulem »

This is certainly the best time to be a Mormon!

:lol:
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

You mean that Coronabeervirus is more powerful than holy Mormon man god olive oil salad dressing? Can't be true!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

I know people will sneer and say, "See! They never had any healing power after all!"

But we already knew that, and I'm genuinely glad they're taking this step. People (especially the elderly) would have caught this thing at church and died.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

MsJack wrote:I know people will sneer and say, "See! They never had any healing power after all!"

But we already knew that, and I'm genuinely glad they're taking this step. People (especially the elderly) would have caught this thing at church and died.

The larger problem caused by the Pandemic for All Religions is their relevance. If the all might deity of any Religion can't stop a simple virus, what good are they? Meaningless platitudes and supplications YET TOTAL dependence on Scientific advise and research make those who follow a Religious creed simply STUPID.

ALL HAIL GOOGLE GOD AND HER SON eBay and the Holy Toaster youtube. Real answers in Real time.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Mormonicious
and the Holy Toaster youtube.
:lol: :lol: :lol: LUV IT!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

O magic 8 Ball, thou art God, do tell, answer me, O great ball!

Will an apostle catch the virus and die?

O thank you, great magic 8 Ball! The glory be thine!

O great and wonderful magic board, show us the name of the first apostle who will croak from the virus which you have sent to punish the wicked.

Mormon apostles dropping like flies!

Church is cancelled!

Yeah!

_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

Shulem wrote:This is certainly the best time to be a Mormon!

This non-meeting stuff could become habit forming. The TBMs might find having a second Saturday kind of nice, and that the world doesn't end if they don't attend church every week. Many might decide might not return.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

From "SeN":

Philip Leaning wrote:All "public gatherings". Stated twice. Temples aren't public...

That's actually an interesting point. So, people can still go to the temples in droves, then?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

As our favorite fast food connoisseur and his nonagenarian lapdog might be inclined to say, “Bah! SCIENTISM!”

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.