AVOW'S Perspective On The Firing Of Daniel C. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

AVOW'S Perspective On The Firing Of Daniel C. Peterson

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

I've been a member of AVOW for over a year. It is very entertaining, and I certainly get my money's worth (it's around $5 a month to join). I think I'll start posting some of the more interesting posts. The members of AVOW are hard-core Chapel Mormons.

I came across this post from August 9th, 2012, entitled "We bear witness of the truthfulness of this EARTH SHATTERING LDS NEWS!!!!"

The overwhelming consensus on AVOW is that Daniel C. Peterson was fired from the Maxwell Institute because he was critical of Rodney Meldrum and the Heartland Theory. Here are just a few of the comments:

jolthof wrote:The Lord just removed a big stumbling block by firing these apostates from FARM.

somedude wrote:Everyone knows the Book of Mormon lands are in North America. Are these guys idiots or just trying to lead people astray?

brack wrote:I have also always believed the lands of the Book of Mormon are in North America. I enjoyed the Cumorah Tapes when I was younger which really set out a very convincing body of evidence for this idea. The most obvious supports for this idea is my testimony and that the Book of Mormon consistently refers to this land as a land of liberty, free of bondage- a promised land. There is only one place that fits that description. Pretty clear cut to me.

victoria wrote:I have been to several of the seminars tha Rod Meldrum has put on and they are great. I have a strong testimony that the Book of Mormon took place in America.

filibuster wrote:Great news. The press release says they fired the people most critical of the heartland idea or in other words, those that favored the mesoamerican theories.

marti wrote:So they fired the guys that disagree with Rod Meldrum? It is about time.

kev wrote:If you haven't read Meldrum's book you should. Very interesting and very convincing based on DNA evidence.

BuzzLightening wrote:Director Bradford cited a desire to "take the Review (Mormon Studies Review, formerly FARMS Review) in a different direction." The "shake-up," as it was called in a Salt Lake Tribune newspaper article, involves the dismissal of several of the most ardent critics of the Heartland Model Geography, and marks the end of the organization formerly known as FARMS and their flagship publication, FARMS Review.

beck wrote:I could never quite wrap my head around to what some people referred to as the two Cumorah theory. That just didn't add up for me. It's stupid.

dlowman wrote:I am going this Sunday to the great circle mound. I believe this to be the city bountiful and where Christ visited the people after the great destructions. I look forward to it.

flamia wrote:I suspect that this house cleaning is more about academic integrity and honesty than which theory holds the most sway, although I personally believe Meldrum's theory that the B. of M. lands are in North America and not in Central America. Meldrum's evidence goes way beyond the DNA issue that some have used to ridicule him. I have been very annoyed with FARMS for many years because I believe that they have intentionally ignored or attacked anything that did not support their own Mesoamerican theory of the B. of M. I further believe that FARMS became vested in their theory, to the exclusion of all other evidence, for reasons that had nothing to do with the pure search for truth. The two Cummorah theory is solid evidence of the silly contortions that FARMS has gone through in order to make the Mesoamerican theory make sense.

beseder wrote:Think how many weak testimonied people would leave the church if the Mesoamerican theory is proved incorrect. Better to live under a false concept than to lose members....cultural or spiritual members.

Northstar wrote:I know Hugh Nibley even had issues with the inner politics of FARMS. He definately was not a meso american theroist and felt very strongly the Book of Mormon took place here. I am sure the big push of the meso-american theory has put the church in a tight spot. Mainly because we have all these people that missionaries have told are lamanites, when they may or may not be. More than likely aren't according to their DNA. The myth became fact thanks mostly to FARMS. So I beleive the church is officially coming out with the stance that they have no stance on geography right now. Which is ironically the stance that they have maintainted through all this. But I know the biggest issue with FARMS was the way they attacked good members in standing as if they were the defenders of the church and the final say. FAIR is very much doing the same thing and the two groups are very closely connected.

shadrach wrote:On Zions March, Joseph also said, "We are walking through the lands of the Nephites." I don't think they were in Guatemala!

historicalbabe wrote:Of course the Book of Mormon lands are in the USA. I've always had a problem the whole mesoamerica scenario. It never made sense to me. All you have to do is pray about and you will get a spiritual confirmation.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: AVOW'S Perspective On The Firing Of Daniel C. Peterson

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Wuts avow
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Wuts avow

It's an online discussion group with about 3 thousand members. It stands for Another Voice of Warning (AVOW).

It's a very conservative Chapel Mormon forum. Think guns, Republicans, food storage and original intent of the Constitution: https://ldsavow.com/ForumRules.html
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Amazing. :redface: What I use to believe...and make believe.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:It's a very conservative Chapel Mormon forum.

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

barck wrote: Book of Mormon consistently refers to this land as a land of liberty, free of bondage- a promised land.

Guess he is just ignoring 200 years of chattel slavery.....
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me, celebrating with Sizzler sounds good to me or perhaps a nice Thai curry. Nothing wrong with Dr. Peterson checking out this board, especially a thread with such a provocative title.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

candygal wrote:Amazing. :redface: What I use to believe...and make believe.

Don't feel embarrassed. We've all been there.

I do think that AVOW made a very valid point when they described Daniel Peter$on as an "apostate."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:It's an online discussion group with about 3 thousand members. It stands for Another Voice of Warning (AVOW).

It's a very conservative Chapel Mormon forum. Think guns, Republicans, food storage and original intent of the Constitution: https://ldsavow.com/ForumRules.html

Lest there be moving of the goal posts: Prior to Meldrum, the apologists denied that Chapel Mormonism even existed. They'll still balk on terminology, but prior the Meldrum, they fully denied the content of what the term refers to.

Even now, they still try to deny as much as possible that viewpoints others than theirs even exist, which is why so often you hear "I've never heard that in all the years that I've been a member".
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

moksha wrote:Doctor CamNC4Me, celebrating with Sizzler sounds good to me or perhaps a nice Thai curry. Nothing wrong with Dr. Peterson checking out this board, especially a thread with such a provocative title.

Nice! See how that works you lurking "F"s from SeN?

- Doc