How big was the box with the plates?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

A stone box with Gold Plates inside.

Also a sword?

Also a Urim & Thummim?

Was it all in the box? Or did Joe have to get that stuff later - from another Nephite storage unit?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: How big was the box with the plates?

Post by _moksha »

Perhaps it was like the TARDIS with its inner dimensions being much larger than its outer dimensions. It may even have been a recreation of Gringott's Bank from the Harry Potter movies, complete with subterranean vaults. Just a thought.

Guardian Elders of the Sacred Box
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Have been out for some time and I don't remember hearing much about the stuff. Other than Gold Plates - Joe had the Urim & Thummim - with breastplate and spectacles. That had to take up room. Did he wear it as he ran with the plates( about the size and heavier than a car battery?)

What about the sword? Did he ever have it or just saw it?

Won't even go into the massive wagon storage stuff that somehow magically disappears when anyone but Joe tries to see it.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

There are so many contradictions and things that just don't make sense in Mormonism that it leaves one wondering why anyone could remain once they know all or at least some of the issues. The dimensions of the box is certainly a head scratcher and the fact that the church hasn't lifted a finger to find the supposed box on the land it owns is questionable to say the least. The urim and thumin is another one. From the history, Joseph brings home the spectacles and has them wrapped in a cloth letting Joseph Knight feel them. There isn't a breast plate at that point attached to them. That seems to be a later invention. Then his running through the woods with 60 lbs of plates (martin harris gives us the weight) and having three strangers who somehow knew Joseph wouldn't be on the road but would be going through the woods beggars belief. They supposedly hide separately, waiting to attack him. It's something a teenager prone to fantasy would make up.

I remember hearing the running with the plates story when I was 15. I attended a rehearsal session for an upcoming sunstone presentation. The story was so unbelievable that I thought this has to be made up. But the BYU professors in attendance reluctantly acknowledged it was a story Joseph told. I seriously thought about leaving the church then, but was too young and knew my parents would have freaked out. Yet this and other contradictions like in the first vision accounts and the many problems internal to the Book of Mormon don't seem to phase the TBM.

I think Trump was right when he said he could stand in the middle of fifth avenue in New York City, shoot someone, and not lose any votes. Likewise, President Nelson could tell the church in conference that of course Joseph had sex with all of his wives and other men's wives as it was what God wanted. The TBM's would rally around the idea afterward and angrily defend it.

It can be very frustrating talking to TBM's at times.
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

[quote="Dr Exiled" post_id=1222045 time=1587220159 user_id=18909]
The demensions of the box is certainly a head scratcher and the fact that the church hasn't lifted a finger to find the supposed box on the land it owns is questionable to say the least. [/quote]

If the frozen chosen 15 thought any of this was true or existed they would have invested in LIDAR years if not decades ago. It would have only been an investment of a drop or two in that 123 billion $ bucket.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

Some years back we had a Quorum lesson on Joe getting the plates. Really emphasized his running with them and the muggers.
I asked "who here can run 100 yards carrying a car battery"?
That really opened it up and way off topic about what a great athlete Joe must have been.

Think about it. What he supposedly carried was about the size of a Car Batter and even a bit heavier. Pick one up and see if you can run with it.

Still - the Sword, breastplate and Urim & Thummim - All in the Box?