LDS Church gets $54 million in Stimulus

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church gets $54 million in Stimulus

Post by _I have a question »

Harvard University says it has decided not to accept nearly $9m (£7.3m) in coronavirus relief aid
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52390483

Will BYU follow Harvards example?
_zeezrom
_Emeritus

Post by _zeezrom »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 pm
$54 million in "free" money? Why would they not take it?
Sadly, I have to agree with the sentiment behind this question. The government is interested in saving big business and LDS owns parts of some pretty big business.
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:25 pm
$54 million in "free" money? Why would they not take it?
Because it would be the moral thing to do. Not that they have shown moral concerns to be a huge factor in financial considerations...
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

But it isn't free money, and it isn't limitless.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hence the reason I put the word "free" in quotation marks.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I have a question wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:41 pm
Harvard University says it has decided not to accept nearly $9m (£7.3m) in coronavirus relief aid
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52390483

Will BYU follow Harvards example?
Hmmm. The Harvard endowment fund is ~$40b. Harvard gives back $8m in relief aid. LDS fund that we know of, ~$130b. BYU will never give back the $54m in relief aid. Secular 1, Religious 0.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

I hope they give it back.

This headline just crossed on Bloomberg, and it's highly relevant to BYU's decision. If the apostles and administrators there care about public perception, they'll quickly realize that not only should they give the money back, but they need to make sure every bank involved in the funding removes their name from the list of beneficiaries of the program.

Be assured, there WILL be a wall of shame when this is over, for companies that took federal PPP money, but didn't really need it.

*FED TO NAME PARTICIPANTS IN CARES ACT-BACKED LOAN PROGRAMS
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I agree with Dr. Moore. This is really not acceptable. The LDS Church has exploited every advantage it could and this is a bridge too far. There are small businesses everywhere hurting. Many will go under. If Shake Shack can return $10 million, then the LDS Church, with its stockpile of billions, can certainly return a little more than 5 times that much.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

It will be interesting to see if they do give it back. But we all suspect it won't do so. Just think of how much GOOD they can do with that money! That will be their justification. Besides, it will prevent them from having to go for those wet rainy day funds..... we wouldn't really want the filthy, filthy, FILTHY RICH church to suffer would we? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

CNBC reporting on new guidance for the SMB loan program:

Companies applying for coronavirus relief funds must certify that the loans are necessary and that they cannot tap other sources of funding, the SBA said.

Yes, BYU may have been grandfathered in, but by keeping the money it is acting in very bad faith.