Master Timeline of Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

I was thinking, when the time line shapes up, we should create a companion piece that explains the significance of each entry. That will help us keep entries on the timeline short and easier to format. A True Cassius Companion to Mopologetics!
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

MrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm
I was thinking, when the time line shapes up, we should create a companion piece that explains the significance of each entry. That will help us keep entries on the timeline short and easier to format. A True Cassius Companion to Mopologetics!
That's an excellent idea, MrStak! There is no telling which direction this MToM will ultimately take us.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:48 pm
Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 pm
Maybe add to the time line the events involving the Watson letter about the Hill Cumorah.

by the way, what about the TIME Lightbox photo essay triggered the Mopologists to comment?
That's definitely in the plan, HG. The TIME Lightbox photo essay had some rather rustic-looking photos of Mormons, If I recall correctly.
Rustic-looking photos set off the Mopologists? Sounds pretty thin-skinned to me.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

May I add these?

March 2004: Thomas Murphy delivers his power point presentation at Utah Valley University regarding Native Americans and the Book of Mormon. This in turn inspires the famous "More on Disingenuous Murphy" thread--a.k.a. "The Transcript Thread"--at ZLMB which led to its destruction and the flight of the Mopologists to the protected FAIR forum.

Wed Jul 11, 2007: Doctor Scratch starts his thread on MormonDiscussions.com outlining and explaining "The Transcript Thread" to newcomers.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Can you link to that thread, Dr. Shades?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

The original thread on ZLMB--which stands for "Zion's Lighthouse Message Board"--disappeared when the website went defunct, so it's no longer available. Doctor Scratch's magisterial--nay, epic--thread recounting it is at:

http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic. ... &sk=t&sd=a
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm
May I add these?

March 2004: Thomas Murphy delivers his power point presentation at Utah Valley University regarding Native Americans and the Book of Mormon. This in turn inspires the famous "More on Disingenuous Murphy" thread--a.k.a. "The Transcript Thread"--at ZLMB which led to its destruction and the flight of the Mopologists to the protected FAIR forum.

Wed Jul 11, 2007: Doctor Scratch starts his thread on MormonDiscussions.com outlining and explaining "The Transcript Thread" to newcomers.
Thank you, Dr. Shades. The more complete this timeline is, the more useful it will be.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

In 1981 Jack Welch, Founder of FARMS published his seminal research on chiasmus, Chiasmus in Antiquity, including scholarly works from Akkadian, biblical, Ugaritic, Aramaic contracts and letters, Talmudic-Aggadic narrative, ancient Greek and Latin literatures, and Old and New Testaments, from numerous worldly scholarship, not just Mormons, demonstrating with fundamental evidence that chiasmus was not only and specifically Hebrew, and was used by pagan and other peoples worldwide, for the most mundane purposes, who did not have prophet claims at their beck and call, nor particularly spiritual insights in their use. It was and has continued to be conveniently ignored by apologists (ironic isn't it?!) since it does literally nothing to bolster chiasmus as a supposed "evidence" of authenticity in the Book of Mormon. Everyone in myriads of nations anciently used the literary device. There is nothing particularly inspired from God about it.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

November 2017

Former Book of Abraham apologist Paul Osborne was challenged by notorious LDS apologist mentalgymnast with A few questions for Shulem and while having a conversation with former Book of Abraham apologist Kerry Shirts a major discovery of Facsimile No. 3 took place. Osborne informed Mormon Discussions of his discovery: Facsimile No. 3 printing plate reveals jackal head Anubis. Multiple critical reviews on Mormon Discussions presented by Osborne (Shulem) have destroyed the LDS apologetic Missing Papyrus Theory and also revealed that Facsimile No. 3 was tampered with in order to meet Smith's needs to tell a fabricated story of ancient Egypt.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

This is an important work you're undertaking Reverend, and I've enjoyed this thread very much. Unfortunately my memory isn't that great so I can't think of anything being missed here, but if I do I'll chime in.