Master Timeline of Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:07 am
This is an important work you're undertaking Reverend, and I've enjoyed this thread very much. Unfortunately my memory isn't that great so I can't think of anything being missed here, but if I do I'll chime in.
Please do, Dean Robbers. Thank you for the compliment. My hope is that other research projects may be seeded by this timeline.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Yes: this is going to wind up being an invaluable historical resource. Many kudos to you, Reverend. The timeline is already impressive, but there are some items--just going off the top of my head--which could be included:

--The 2nd Watson Letter / Ogden Fax, which occurred around 2009/2010, if memory serves.
--There was a whole series of things that happened in connection with Grant Palmer: Midgley showing up to scream obscenities as a vigil (allegedly); Allen Wyatt 'cybersquatting' on domain names in an effort to squelch pro-Palmer fundraising efforts; all those "hit piece" articled that appeared in the Review, etc.
--I think there needs to be some mention of RfM in here: that was a major target of the Mopologists during the early 2000s.
--In fact, there are a number of crucial battles/wars that could be included: there is a whole long timeline related to the Mopologists' war with the Heartlanders. There was that scuffle involving the Mormon Transhumanists. There was a protracted war with John Dehlin and Mormon Stories. For a number of years, the Mopologists' main enemies were EVs and counterculture ministries; the turning point seems to have been DCP's "Reflections on Secular Anti-Mormonism," which he delivered--if memory serves--in 2004 or 2005. That, to me, was a pivotal moment, since it marked a shift from focusing on EVs and countercult ministries and over to secular critics and ex-Mormon critics, such as the ones on RfM or....this board. Yet another battle was fought with the "Mormon Studies" people who assumed control of the MI. Etc., etc.
--I think there should be some mention here of Midgley's, uh, "visit" to the Tanners' bookstore, and subsequent boasting about it.
--I'd definitely include the revelation that, according to tax records, Daniel Peterson was paid more than $20,000 to serve as Chair of FARMS.
--You could include the plans to build a FARMS "ziggurat" on the BYU campus.
--I would also include the incident where DCP said "You go to hell!" to Blair Hodges at the FAIR Conference.

There are so many.... Let me think about this in more detail, and I'll probably have more to add.

Thanks again, Reverend!
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Oh, the CES Letter definitely should be on this.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

October 2016
Radio Free Mormon begins to launch podcasts beginning with The Great Mormon History Coverup.

Also, TODAY, RFM just released a BOMB SHELL!

SPECIAL REPORT–MTC Sex Scandal Cover-Up

The Church is in big trouble now.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I can't remember when it happened, but you ought to include the establishment of the much-hyped "The World Table" and how it was going to change online communication forever, but then it crashed, burned, and was sent down the memory hole about three months later.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Shulem wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:37 am
October 2016
Radio Free Mormon begins to launch podcasts beginning with The Great Mormon History Coverup.

Doesn't that deserve it's own thread?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 am
Oh, the CES Letter definitely should be on this.
I am glad my humble project has attracted your attention, Doctor. You are, after all, the chief historian of Mopologetics, the one who has, year in and year out, identified the most important events in that history. I will do my best to add in their proper places the items you have brought up. If, however, you find the dates before I do, please let me know.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 am
I can't remember when it happened, but you ought to include the establishment of the much-hyped "The World Table" and how it was going to change online communication forever, but then it crashed, burned, and was sent down the memory hole about three months later.
Yes, World Table is a necessary addition. Thank you, Dr. Shades!
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

What's weird is the World Table got a foothold as the SLTrib's comments section moderation app. It's almost universally despised, and it's not uncommon to see a comment here and there bitching about it.

- Doc
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:37 am
October 2016

Thank you, Shulem. RFM’s entrance onto the scene is an important date. I will want to consult you about your history too.