Master Timeline of Mopologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Master Timeline of Mopologetics

Post by _moksha »

When did Drs. Peterson and Midgley join FARMS?
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

A few more come to mind. I would be happy to help hunt down dates.

* Publication of the gospel topics essays
* Holland scolding the MI
* Escalation in speeches from LDS authorities on doubts & questions about history (Holland, Renlund, Corbridge, HJ Eyring)
* Pre-empting of Wayment's forthcoming JST article with a translation essay addenda
* Year in Polygamy started
* Vogel's Joseph Smith biography
* Vogel's Book of Abraham videos published
* Hales: Joseph Smith's Polygamy
* Jana Reiss: The Next Mormons
* Ostler: Bridges: Ministering to Those Who Question
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Dr Moore wrote: A few more come to mind. I would be happy to help hunt down dates.

* Publication of the gospel topics essays
HOLD on! I feel the Spirit. Let me go to Mormon Think and track down those links and dates and compile an easy list for the above.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

2005 ended with the release of Rough Stone Rolling, and merry Smithmas. Such a big Mormon year, it felt, but little notice in the world of mopologetics.

Oh also in 2005 was the The Worlds of Joseph Smith conference:
https://byustudies.byu.edu/content/worlds-joseph-smith
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Stem wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:06 pm
2005 ended with the release of Rough Stone Rolling, and merry Smithmas. Such a big Mormon year, it felt, but little notice in the world of mopologetics.
Apologists even deny that Smithmas happened back in 2005.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

CHURCH ESSAYS

8 December The Church released the first Essay Race and the Priesthood which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Race and the Priesthood - Response to LDS.org

November The Church released the Essay First Vision Accounts which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at The First Vision - Response to LDS.org and The First Vision

17 December The Church released the Essay Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Plural Marriage and Families in Early Utah - Response to LDS.org

30 December The Church released the Essay Book of Mormon Translation which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Book of Mormon Translation - Response to LDS.org

31 January The Church released the Essay Book of Mormon and DNA Studies which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Book of Mormon and DNA Studies - Response to LDS.org

January The Church released the Essay Are Mormons Christian? which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Are Mormons Christian? - Response to LDS.org

The Church released the Essay Becoming Like God which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Becoming Like God - Response to LDS.org

12 May The Church released the Essay Peace and Violence among 19th-Century Latter-day Saints which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Peace & Violence among 19th-Century Latter-day Saints - Response to LDS.org

8 July The Church released the Essay Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Translation and Historicity of the Book of Abraham - Response to LDS.org

22 October The Church released the Essay Plural Marriage in Kirtland and Nauvoo which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Plural Marriage in Kirtland & Nauvoo - Response to LDS.org

22 October The Church released the Essay The Manifesto and the End of Plural Marriage which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at The Manifesto and the End of Plural Marriage - Response to LDS.org

23 October The Church released the Essay Mother in Heaven which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Mother in Heaven - Response to LDS.org

23 October The Church released the Essay Joseph Smith’s Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women which has been thoroughly debunked by Mormon Think at Joseph Smith's Teachings about Priesthood, Temple, and Women - Response to LDS.org
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

A few notes:

I'd note that the Spring 1988 issue of the FARMS newsletter Insights announced that FARMS would publish an annual review of books on the Book of Mormon and that Daniel Peterson had "agreed to serve as editor."

Volume 3 of Review of Books on the Book of Mormon is published. Daniel C. Peterson, Assistant Professor of Islamic Studies and Arabic at BYU, is editor.

This is too detailed for a timeline, but I am reminded of the infamous line in that volume: "Korihor's back, and this time he's got a printing press" (from Stephen Robinson's review of Dan Vogel, ed., The Word of God). The May 1991 issue of Insights quoted this line and described Rodger Anderson's Joseph Smith's New York Reputation Reexamined as "expressly anti-Mormon." This set off a kerfuffle between FARMS and Signature Books that included a letter sent to FARMS by an attorney representing Signature Books demanding that FARMS publish a retraction and apology in its newsletter (one perspective on the episode is provided by Dr. Peterson in his introduction to volume 4 of RBBM). The July 1991 issue of Insights featured a carefully worded "Correction or Clarification."
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Michael D. Rhodes, former professor of physics at the Air Force Academy, joins the FARMS Board as he pursues a PhD at BYU.
William Hamblin inserts an acrostic reading, "Metcalfe is Butthead" in issue 6.1 of Review of Books on the Book of Mormon. The incident was reported in Deseret News on March 22/23.
I might note that issue 6.1 was devoted entirely to New Approaches to the Book of Mormon (or, perhaps, note the book's publication in 1993).
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

I've heard that Daniel Peterson testified in the trial of the abductor of Elizabeth Smart, and that he threatened legal action against this board. I have no idea about that, why this board would perhaps be considered for legal action by Peterson because he was testifying in the Smart case or when that might have been. If that really happened, that might be worth including in the timeline.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:31 pm
Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:48 pm

That's definitely in the plan, HG. The TIME Lightbox photo essay had some rather rustic-looking photos of Mormons, If I recall correctly.
Rustic-looking photos set off the Mopologists? Sounds pretty thin-skinned to me.
If someone has a link to the photos, I'd like to take a look.