Table Dancing - Kevin Christensen's hit piece on the MI

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Re: Table Dancing - Kevin Christensen's hit piece on the MI

Post by _Dr LOD »

I don’t think they realize how tone deaf the “shirts as skins” theory in light of the historical position of church leaders. It is actually a highly self damaging argument.

I was formally introduced to it by a contributor to DCP’s journal club. My spouse was not polite as I was and called it out for the BS that it is.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Dr LOD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:01 pm
I don’t think they realize how tone deaf the “shirts as skins” theory in light of the historical position of church leaders. It is actually a highly self damaging argument.

I was formally introduced to it by a contributor to DCP’s journal club. My spouse was not polite as I was and called it out for the BS that it is.
It's past time for yet another Book of Mormon edit to correct "mistakes" in the text and finally get rid of the racist passages.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

In 2015, Ethan Sproat wrote an important essay that undercuts the arguments of those authors, but none of them address his case or evidence.
This is always the agenda of sloppy apologists like Christensen. They can't let people's work stand on it's own, it always has to incorporate within it every pedantic invention that they can come up with to promote their view of what they want to Book of Mormon (or anything else) to be. Usually what the faithful brethren are promoting.

What he references here (I'm sure) is flawed beyond belief, but anything to promote their apologist agenda. But those like Christensen are the best they can do at the Mormon Interpreter. He doesn't know or understand Mormon History. He's an apologist hack.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Several essays base their arguments on the notion that the Book of Mormon adapts itself to a series of racist tropes common in the nineteenth century. In 2015, Ethan Sproat wrote an important essay that undercuts the arguments of those authors, but none of them address his case or evidence.
Well maybe none of the essayist addressed Sporat's essay because they wrote theirs before Sproat published his.

As Nevo points out on the other board:
The essays in Americanist Approaches were written before June 2014. Ethan Sproat's article was published in 2015. So it is not surprising that "none of the authors address his case or evidence" in their essays.
Sloppy work Kevin.
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

This theory as "skins" as dark colored clothing brings up a bit of a moral problem for the LDS church, that these LDS apologists open up.

If this skin theory is to be believed, wouldn't it put the LDS church, prophets, and membership under a certain degree of condemnation for the incorrect interpretation and of the harm it did to the groups incorrectly identified as having a cursed skin color?