DCP "Apologizes" for Anti-Strangite Writings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: DCP "Apologizes" for Anti-Strangite Writings

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Had Mr. Peterson ever sincerely apologized for a misstep? Like. A genuine mea culpa, and 'I'm going to fix' this apology? I'm not saying he hasn't, but over the twenty-odd years I've been aware of him (19 years an ex-mo this month, yay!), I can't recall him ever showing contriteness and humility.

- Doc
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:04 pm
Had Mr. Peterson ever sincerely apologized for a misstep? Like. A genuine mea culpa, and 'I'm going to fix' this apology? I'm not saying he hasn't, but over the twenty-odd years I've been aware of him (19 years an ex-mo this month, yay!), I can't recall him ever showing contriteness and humility.

- Doc
No, there has never been contriteness of humility. It's not in the program of Momonism from within. They are already gods here on earth, just not perfect ones, but they imagine their system is perfect, and that perfection of the system blankets them now. They are mortally perfect on their way to celestial perfect. Perfect has no reason to apologize or invoke and involve humility. They want GLORY.......here, now. Anytime they defend their system, again no matter how classlessly, they are receiving celestial flowers of glory on their spiritual heads, and so, in their eyes, there is no wrong way to denigrate other "apostate beliefs, which is every single other religion on the planet in their eyes. Only THEY are the special chosen and have the ONLY authority of God. Therefore they are always correct. Q E D. Can anyone ever, anytime or anywhere imagine Mormonism admitting that the authority of God is in any other religion anywhere in the universe? You know they wouldn't.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Why is it too much to ask that the purportedly one true church be capable of earning and retaining members solely on the basis of its inherent goodness? Through its self evident wellspring of positive outcomes for people, families, communities?
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Anyone able to guess what Mr. Peterson’s new’ish obsession with equating this board to Qanon is?

“Ex-LDS QAnon”.

That’s a 4chan thing, no? Is Daniel Peterson a frequent visitor to 4chan? Is he a downlow alt-righter?

- Doc
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Looks like this came up nearly a decade ago at MDB:

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/52 ... es/page/3/

Mortal Man drops a real zinger in response to Pahoran's desperate spin-doctoring, and Pahoran finds himself paralyzed, and unable to respond.

There appear to be several biographies of Strang, and the one by Milo Quaife that Peterson relies on is quite old; it's on the same level as E.D. Howe's Mormonism Unveiled. Basically, this is "Anti-lit", and Peterson is taking upon himself the role of a professional debunker. Notice how he's merely lifting the harshest summaries of Strang from his book to shock his audience, and expects everyone to accept them at face value.

If you check out Mortal Man's comment on MDB, I think you'll see why the apologists are so desperate to attack Strange and his followers. Strang's story offers a deathblow to the credibility of the Mormon witnesses.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Excellent point, Dean Robbers. I wonder: do you remember Gus Van Sant's remake of Psycho? He intended it as a shot-for-shot remake of the Hitchcock original. It was sort of a dumb idea, but then again, it says something about replication or copying. Might it be interesting to remake "Witnesses," and just swap out the names? How different--overall--would the basic story be? And if the Strangites made such a film, would the Mopologists make fun of it?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Unlike the golden plates used by Smith to produce the Book of Mormon, the existence of Strang's plates was verified by independent, non-Mormon witnesses, including Christopher Latham Sholes, inventor of the first practical typewriter. Strang was accused of having fabricated the plates from a brass tea kettle, a claim which he and his partisans vigorously denied. The plates disappeared around 1900, and their current whereabouts are unknown.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voree_plates

One assumes those believers of Joseph Smiths family and close friends witnesses are equally supportive of the validity of the claims of authenticity of the Voree Plates?
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

I'm sure Ditto Copy Pasterson has achieved the status of "Second Anoited" and I attribute this to his thinking he is some kind of a "god" here on earth here and now. This allows him to lie, degrade, slur and plagiarize over and over with no repercussions from all the Mormon low lives that only have the basic "god in embryo" anointing. It will take the big 15 cheeses in SLC to stop the dupe pasterson, not sure the 15 or DNews have the brains or honesty to come clean.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

The SeN proprietor recently made this claim about his Deseret News article: "I relied on the two best books I could find on the subject. . . . I accurately reported what they said."

Did he?

First, here is the SeN proprietor's report of Quaife's evaluation of Strang:
“We can hardly escape the conclusion,” writes Quaife, “that Strang knowingly fabricated and planted them for the purpose of duping his credulous followers”; and, accordingly, that “Strang’s prophetic career was a false and impudent imposture."
Here is the fuller context of Quaife's evaluation:
It is quite conceivable that Strang's angelic visitations may had only a subjective existence in the brain of the man who reported them. But the metallic plates possessed a very material objective reality; and we can hardly escape the conclusion either that Strang knowingly fabricated and "planted" them for the purpose of duping his credulous followers, or that they were what they purport to have been, ancient records divinely preserved, in the discovery and translation of which Strang was divinely guided. If the former alternative be accepted, it follows that Strang's prophetic career was a false and impudent imposture; if the latter be the true one, we are confronted by the sad fact that of all the people now on earth only a few score at the most have comprehended it.
Why did the SeN proprietor omit the word "either" in his quotation from Quaife and fail to mention the second half of Quaife's conclusion?
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Thank you Tom! What a cold and calculating edit to the text!
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.