Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Happy Friday, Friends & Colleagues!

I don't know if you followed some of the recent exchanges on "Faith Promoting Rumor," but noted Mopologist and "Interpreter" Editor-in-Chief Allen Wyatt took quite a drubbing before managing to get a number of posts deleted (posts which he claims were authored by somebody else). Perhaps the reason for the deletions had something to do with the fact that Wyatt does not have a Ph.D.--something that tends to be a real liability in the world of Mopologetics--hence the Mopologists' obsession with symbols of academic status.

Interestingly, today on "SeN," Dr. Peterson included this intriguing announcement:
SeN wrote:The Interpreter Foundation has now been publishing at least one article, and sometimes two or even three, for 417 consecutive weeks, since its founding 418.5 weeks ago. This is beginning to look like some sort of predictable pattern. I’m deeply grateful to all those who have made this possible, and particularly to Bryce Haymond at the first, then Jeff Bradshaw, after him Allen Wyatt, and now Allen Wyatt with the help of Jeff Lindsay. It’s wonderful to work with good people.
Did you catch that last bit? "after him Allen Wyatt, and now Allen Wyatt with the help of Jeff Lindsay. Whoa.... Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it would appear that Allen Wyatt, who has been the sole Editor-in-Chief seemingly since 2017 at least, has now been forced to work with a Ph.D.-holding partner? Did Wyatt "screw up" somehow? (Such as by posting on Faith-Promoting Rumor?) Or, is this yet another case of the Mopologists' obsession with status, and fearing criticism of Wyatt's lack of a Ph.D., they felt that they needed to bring in Jeff Lindsay, in order to forestall those kinds of criticisms?

Whatever the case may be, it's tempting to read this as a huge slap in the face to Wyatt. It's also worth pointing out that, unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time that Peterson has publicly thanked Wyatt in months. Good luck finding even a cursory mention of Wyatt's efforts over the course of June and May. And yet there is all kinds of praise for "Neville Neville Land," Book of Mormon Central, and other organizations and people. Maybe if Wyatt engaged in the kind of "malevolent stalking" that "Peter Pan" engages in, then he'd earn DCP's respect? Furthermore, Wyatt did not even get his own thank you--DCP lumped him in with all of these other folks! Ouch. Talk about adding insult to injury! I don't know Wyatt puts up with this kind of treatment: he ought to take his ball and go home.

In any event, this would appear to be quite an intriguing development in the world of Mopologetics. Then again, perhaps we'll get some spin-doctored explanation for this on "SeN" in the next day or so. We'll have to wait and see!
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Re: Did Allen Wyatt Get 'Demoted' at Interpreter?

Post by _Physics Guy »

Snagging Lindsay is a major move for Interpreter however it happened. Jeff is not only one of those acute and articulate people who make you think there might be something to this whole PhD thing. He’s also amazingly patient and polite with people of different opinions, and so scrupulous in ascribing credit for ideas that complete outsiders may start to wonder if there’s something to the Mormon CTR thing as well.

I don’t know anything about Wyatt, but even if he’s every bit as good as Lindsay, so that Lindsay is the second of this caliber, it would be understandable for Interpreter to be proud of about having two in this league. Equal billing with Lindsay can hardly be a demotion for anyone.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

While I can see Physics Guy's point, I do think that Doctor Scratch is right that something fishy is going on here. If I remember right, during the "Guesser" paper fiasco, Lindsay was totally absent. Given his area of expertise, there is no way in hell he could support a paper like that without engaging in calculated dishonesty. So it will be interesting to see what Interpreter publishes under his watch, as it could potentially say something about the apologist he's chosen to be.

Well, I've digressed. I do think Wyatt hasn't been appreciated and is expected to churn out work for nothing. Yeah, since there's no Phd, it should be a privilege, right? Who would he be to make a demand about anything? "Get to work! And go fetch me a cup of hot cocoa! Yah, mule, YAH!"

It's a very strange situation here. I mean, we know that Interpreter really can't support the scriptures with hard evidence and all attempts result in pseudoscience. Having Wyatt as gatekeeper lends deniability to both sides. They can always point to Wyatt's lack of expertise as the reason something got through that shouldn't have. And Wyatt can always say he's doing his best and not an expert -- nobody expects him to know this or that, and so that covers his reputation also. I guess I'm coming back to this point: Lindsay at the helm and a "guesser" paper gets through?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I’d be interested in seeing some peer review of Dr. Gee’s calculations at the end of his Interpreter article posted today.

“Although unknown as deities in Joseph Smith’s day, the names of four associated idolatrous gods (Elkenah, Libnah, Mahmackrah, and Korash) mentioned in the Book of Abraham are attested anciently. Two of them are known to have connections with the practices attributed to them in the Book of Abraham. The odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical.”

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... f-abraham/
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

John Gee
'“Although unknown as deities in Joseph Smith’s day, the names of four associated idolatrous gods (Elkenah, Libnah, Mahmackrah, and Korash) mentioned in the Book of Abraham are attested anciently. Two of them are known to have connections with the practices attributed to them in the Book of Abraham. The odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical.”
And I'll bet that as Brian Hauglid in his RFM interview discovered from an actual expert that "Olishem" is "thin gruel" that these other names and words are also. Only Mormons find them odd or authentic. I find that odd.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Tom wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:18 pm
I’d be interested in seeing some peer review of Dr. Gee’s calculations at the end of his Interpreter article posted today.

“Although unknown as deities in Joseph Smith’s day, the names of four associated idolatrous gods (Elkenah, Libnah, Mahmackrah, and Korash) mentioned in the Book of Abraham are attested anciently. Two of them are known to have connections with the practices attributed to them in the Book of Abraham. The odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical.”

https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... f-abraham/
Don't even get me started about how Joseph Smith couldn't have known! For Christ Jesus, sake! If it was a freaking snake it would have bit him in the ass.

Joseph the translator? Give me a Goddamn break.

The Book of Abraham apologists are nothing but filthy liars. All of them.

Screw you, John Gee. Kiss my damned ass. You mother . . . . .

:evil:

_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Wrong thread
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

I have to admit that it’s difficult to keep track of the turnover at Interpreter, but I don’t recall hearing that B. Haymond was an editor. Whatever happened to him?
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Tom wrote:
The odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical.”
What are the odds that a BYU professor could cobble together a paper seeking a justification for made-up names?

by the way, was this change in direct response to Dr. Scratch questioning Allen Wyatt's credentials on that Faith Promoting Rumors blog?
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:17 am
Tom wrote:
The odds of Joseph Smith guessing the names correctly is astronomical.”
What are the odds that a BYU professor could cobble together a paper seeking a justification for made-up names?
Let him/her try this:

Fig. 2. King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.