New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Robert Ritner

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_jfro18
_Emeritus

New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Robert Ritner

Post by _jfro18 »

I haven't had a chance to listen to it... and since it's a weekend might not until next week since I can't listen around my wife, but I can not wait to give this one a go.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/202 ... am-part-1/

A saw someone recommend the Mormon Stories link as they use video with the images of the facsimiles/papyri/other similar scrolls which are helpful as the conversation gets going, and those are @ https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/robert-ritner/
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: New Mormon Stories/RFM interview with Robert Ritner

Post by _Shulem »

OMFG!

:surprised:

Click!

Press play.

:ugeek:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

When the papyrus came to Kirtland the only thing anyone really knew about ancient Egypt was what was written in the Bible.

Abraham!

Joseph!

Moses!

That *was* Chandler's selling point and the message of excitement about the papyrus as it came rolling into Kirtland on a carriage full of mummies and coffins. It was already noised abroad in various newspapers and showings and Smith capitalized on it right away.

Joseph Smith bought it -- hook, line, and sinker. And who would be the wiser? Nobody can read Egyptian -- except for Joseph Smith the translator.

Step right up, folks! The Mormon prophet will now translate to the glory of God.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

RFM brings to Ritner's attention that the Book of Mormon claimed to use so-called reformed Egyptian hieroglyphs because they take up less space than Hebrew -- wherefore, the space on gold plates was precious so it would be better to use Egyptian rather than Hebrew. Little wonder the Kirtland Egyptian Papers show that Smith believed a single Egyptian character was equal to a paragraph of English text.

Good job, RFM! You get a brownie point. He he he.
Robert Ritner wrote:Spill out an entire one paragraph from one sign!
That was the prevailing ignorant belief about the lost Egyptian language going back to Roman times when the language died. Smith picked up on that and ran with his translation-ball making the so-called "Grammar and Alphabet of the Egyptian Language".

That's exactly what the Smith gang did in thinking a single Egyptian character is worth a whole paragraph of English content.

At most, a single Egyptian sign can mean an entire word but never a whole paragraph as Smith assumed. The whole idea of a single sign being read as an entire paragraph is absolutely wrong.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

A vile Asiatic such as ABRAHAM from the land of Canaan would not have known how to write Egyptian. Only 1% of native Egyptians knew how to write Egyptian and the ability to learn the language was specialized and taught only in sacred schools that associated with the Egyptian temples. The ability to write Egyptian was a sacred craft that was had by very few.

There is no way on Osiris's green earth that Abraham knew how to write Egyptian let alone sit on the king's throne as depicted by Joseph Smith's fantasized Explanation of Facsimile No. 3!

No. Way. In. Hell.

The Mormons are dead wrong. Period. End of story.

:mad:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

WOW, it's a bullseye!

Robert Ritner makes a startling confession in giving credit to Joseph Smith in translating the papyrus; if you dovetail the only thing Smith got right in translating the text, it would be the word "THE".

:lol:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Doctor Ritner confirms that Osiris grabs his penis to fertilize his wife in resurrection.

Praise be the gods of Egypt!

Amen.

Screw you, John Gee! Kiss my ass you bastard Egyptologist! The name GEE is synonymous with lying.

Shame on your for taking advantage of poor RFM in deceiving him and fooling him with your silly apologetics.

I broke both Nibley's & Gee's arm in a snap!

Shulem is their worst enemy.

:twisted:
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

It's not secret, it's sacred.

The Twelve Ejaculations

Abraham upon the altar giving his seed to create the Twelve Tribes of Israel.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

I disagree with Robert Ritner in that the Egyptians accepted "ALL" gods to include JEHOVAH.

Although the Egyptians were generous and tolerant in allowing the worship of gods in the general sense, I know of no specific reference or doctrine in Egyptian chronology to include specific reference to JEHOVAH as being accepted into the Pantheon of Dynastic Egypt.

So, in this sense, I believe, Ritner is incorrect in making this generalization. Jehovah was an enemy to Egypt. Period.

Period.
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Joseph Smith was not the world’s greatest guesser.

Michael Chandler may have been the world’s greatest salesman.