Kwaku El - the Young/Dumb state of Mormon apologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Re: Kwaku El - the Young/Dumb state of Mormon apologetics

Post by _Simon Southerton »

Even reported in the BYU Universe. Will there be any disciplinary action? I very much doubt it.
https://universe.byu.edu/2020/09/05/you ... f-classes/
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:52 am
Kwaku El is at it again with another mask free party of around 150 people cramped into a small space:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50014757/la ... ise-at-byu
Stake President Wang Chung: Did you see this bizarre posting on "Sic et Non," which was about Kwaku's party? The post is actually titled, "Regarding the Young/Dumb at BYU, and Watermelons," and includes these concluding paragraphs:
Nor were ancient people in West Africa, where the watermelon as we know it seems to have originated. It appears to have been cultivated in the Nile Valley from at least sometime early in the second millennium BC, and watermelon seeds have been recovered from the Eighteenth Dynasty tomb of Tutankhamun as well as from various earlier sites all the way back to the Twelfth Dynasty. They have also been found at the ancient sites of Bab edh-Dhra and Tel Arad, near the Dead Sea.

By the seventh century after Christ, watermelon was being cultivated on the Indian subcontinent. By the tenth century, it had reached China. By AD 961, as a result of the Arab conquest of the Iberian Peninsula, it was being grown in Córdoba, and there is solid evidence of its presence in Seville by AD 1158. It spread northwards into southern Europe and, after 1492, was brought by the Conquistadores and later colonists (and, subsequently, by West African slaves) to the New World.

Something to think about, perhaps, when you’re contentedly eating a tasty watermelon on a warm late-summer evening.
If/when there is another of these parties, should we expect a "SeN" post that reflects on the meaning and deliciousness of fried chicken?
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr. Scratch,

Thanks for that link. I’m at a loss for words. Surely DCP is aware of the racist history/stereotype of associating African Americans and watermelon.

From Wikipedia: “Southern whites, threatened by blacks' newfound freedom, responded by making the fruit a symbol of black people's perceived uncleanliness, laziness, childishness and unwanted public presence.[2] Watermelons have been viewed as a major symbol in the iconography of racism in the United States.[3]”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_stereotype

Is this DCP’s racist way of scolding Kwaku El? What in the hell is DCP thinking? Posts like this are one of the many reasons DCP has been called the Grand Dragon of Mopology. DCP’s racism knows no bounds.

Folks, you can’t make this stuff up.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:24 am
Is this DCP’s racist way of scolding Kwaku El? What in the hell is DCP thinking? Posts like this are one of the many reasons DCP has been called the Grand Dragon of Mopology. DCP’s racism knows no bounds.

Folks, you can’t make this stuff up.
Sometimes a watermelon can just be a watermelon. "Hey, what is that underneath your waistband, a watermelon?"
Dr. Peterson slapping the dangerous entrepreneurism of Kwaku up the side of the head, need not be with a watermelon.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace