Cook unsuccessfully tries to defend past racism, confirms black skin was the sign of a curse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Cook unsuccessfully tries to defend past racism, confirms black skin was the sign of a curse

Post by _I have a question »

An apostle for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints expressed general support for social-justice movements Monday, while at the same time warning that some of those fighting against racism and police violence are undermining the U.S. Constitution.
“We all support peaceful efforts to overcome racial and social injustice. This needs to be accomplished,” Elder Quentin L. Cook told faculty at the church-owned Brigham Young University in Provo. And he urged his listeners to “be on the forefront of righteously repenting and following the counsel of [LDS Church] President Russell M. Nelson, who asked us to ‘build bridges of cooperation rather than walls of segregation.’”
But Cook voiced concern that some in those movements are attacking faith and attempting to reframe and distort history.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/08/24/ ... s-support/
In his Monday speech, Cook acknowledged that Young “said things about race that fall short of our standards today,” saying that “some of his beliefs and words reflected the culture of his time.” But the 79-year-old apostle insisted the church’s second president (from 1847 to 1877) taught that “of one blood has God made all flesh. We don’t care about the color.”
He also noted Young’s relative kindness toward Native Americans.
However...
Kimberly Applewhite, a Salt Lake City psychologist and Black Latter-day Saint, was disappointed in Cook’s message.
“If we’re calling ourselves the Lord’s people, we can and should do more to build the kingdom of heaven on earth,” she wrote in an email, “and not look for reasons to protect our reputations or take ourselves out of doing the work.”
The apostle’s justifications for the early Mormon behavior “not only feel like an inaccurate portrayal of church history but also take away a lot of the context for why church members have more to do today,” she said. “Can we stop saying Brigham Young was a product of his time? We already know that many of his contemporaries felt differently about Black people. And it doesn’t excuse the way that people took his thoughts and ran with them in a way that continues to damage the church’s relationship with the Black community at large.”
When Cook said that the church supports peaceful efforts to overcome racial and social injustice, Applewhite said, “I’m curious how he would see that the church as an organization has done so.”
She pointed to the statements of former LDS Church President Ezra Taft Benson, who decried the efforts of Martin Luther King Jr. when the civil rights leader was “perhaps the prime example of American pacifism in social justice.”
And...
Although Cook dubbed King a “hero” and called the civil rights movement of the 1960s an “exciting time” when he was in law school at Stanford, Applewhite said the voices of the church’s prophets “have been missing for nearly every major media injustice of my lifetime related to race.”
“The partnership with the NAACP seems to be at a standstill,” she said. “What have we been doing? As the hymn goes, when Black [Latter-day] Saints have needed the church’s help, were they there?”
The Utah professional respects her Latter-day Saint leaders, she said. “I want to sustain them and hold them up as they earnestly seek the counsel of the Lord to teach [members] to be their brother’s and sister’s keepers, so that the souls of Black Saints do not cry up from the dust against them.”
Cook is clearly messaging to the members at BYU to shut up and get on with paying, praying and obeying. It's equally clear that ain't gonna happen and his cheap attempt at shutting people up through laying a guilt trip on them and asking them to stop upsetting and distressing the Apostles just has zero credibility. When action is needed the Church (in this case Cook) just offers more words and tries to blame the members.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Cook unsuccessfully tries to defend past racism

Post by _Kishkumen »

Undermining the Constitution? SMH!

That is OUTRAGEOUS!

One need look no further than the fascist pustule that has taken over the Oval Office to see who and what is undermining the Constitution.

Despicable. Cook, the man who was best known for privatizing public healthcare in California is such a “man of the people.”

Sorry, Cook. The people don’t need your false friendship for civil rights and the Constitution.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Dr LOD
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr LOD »

An Apostolic “we are not racist......but” remark shows really how they are.

History shows what Brigham Young’s kindness meant for the Native American tribes of the Wasatch front.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Weird. Not a peep about the autocrat and his traitorous enablers in the Senate.

- Doc
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Interestingly Cook confirms that God did indeed give people black skin to show they had been cursed.
Elder Cook shared his own experiences with race, including a powerful lesson from his mission president, Marion D. Hanks, who asked his missionaries to read and study the Book of Mormon. When they read 2 Nephi 5:21, describing “a skin of blackness,” associated with being cut off from the Lord’s presence approximately 600 years before Christ’s birth, President Hanks was adamant that this phrase, “related solely to that people during that period of time.”
“That was our doctrine then; and that is our doctrine now,” said Elder Cook.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... rty-191309

He just came right out and said God gave people a black skin to show they were divinely cursed.
Where does that leave Race And The Priesthood?
Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse,
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

Cook's talk is horrendous.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

If the Church wants to stand for something, let's hear some calls for social justice at General Conference. It is there where the action starts. Even if the corporation is busy with real estate acquisition, the Church wing needs to hear the words to set the members to accomplishing good deeds. There is so much to get done. Catholic Charities would appreciate a full working partner. Black Lives Matters needs to be in the Pioneer Day Parade along with a float about climate change.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:41 pm
Black Lives Matters needs to be in the Pioneer Day Parade along with a float about climate change.

The white supremacist apostles of Mormonism will never simply say, "Black lives matter", because it is not in their character and does not reflect their values. They will simply say that "all lives matter" because it includes them and they don't have it within themselves to admit that blacks are just as good as whites and always have been. Then they will go on about how God loves everyone offering meaningless platitudes that should be promptly flushed down the toilet.

Mormon apostles are hypocrites and liars for the Lord. I wouldn't trust any of those bastards any further than I could throw one.

In my book a Mormon apostle is nothing more than a walking pile of poop.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I have a question wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:36 pm
Interestingly Cook confirms that God did indeed give people black skin to show they had been cursed.
Elder Cook shared his own experiences with race, including a powerful lesson from his mission president, Marion D. Hanks, who asked his missionaries to read and study the Book of Mormon. When they read 2 Nephi 5:21, describing “a skin of blackness,” associated with being cut off from the Lord’s presence approximately 600 years before Christ’s birth, President Hanks was adamant that this phrase, “related solely to that people during that period of time.”
“That was our doctrine then; and that is our doctrine now,” said Elder Cook.
https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-a ... rty-191309

He just came right out and said God gave people a black skin to show they were divinely cursed.
Where does that leave Race And The Priesthood?
Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse,
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

Cook's talk is horrendous.
I expect Elder Cook was on his mission prior to 1978.

I therefore have to take the quote he attributes to Marion D. Hanks with a grain of salt.
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: Cook unsuccessfully tries to defend past racism, says black skin was the sign of a curse

Post by _huckelberry »

Well that is what the Book of Mormon says.It is what it is. I mean you cannot reasonably pretend it says something about beautiful dark skin. It just does not say that.

The quoted comment suggesting that dark skin was divine disfavor applied only to a group of people living long ago is about as good a response as is possible while trying to keep the books divine status. I do not understand why that would be any sort of surprise. Did you expect him to say the Book of Mormon is a 19th century American fiction reflecting that time and place?

I find the comment about changing history and challenging the constitution to be much more importatant. I do not know for sure what that was supposed to mean so I hear John Birch quacking in the background. Well it might not be so extreme(?) Perhaps that was just empty distraction.
_Aristotle Smith
_Emeritus

Re: Cook unsuccessfully tries to defend past racism, says black skin was the sign of a curse

Post by _Aristotle Smith »

Getting 404 Not Found when I try and look at the article.