Kerry Muhlestein Does Video Response to Robert Ritner

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Re: Kerry Muhlestein Does Video Response to Robert Ritner

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:13 pm
In his only oblique reference to Dr. Ritner, Dr. Muhlestein states that "the Book of Abraham doesn't rise or fall on my opinion or reputation, or on another scholar's opinion or reputation." 13.03
Correct. So Kerry’s Egyptology Ph.D. has no relevance either way. I believe this defense against Ritner is nothing other than the Kamikaze method, the suicidal last resort.

And thus Kerry and John have reduced themselves to average devotional teachers, who happen to have irrelevant side hobbies in Egyptology.
They've never been more than that when it comes to the Book of Abraham.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

But now he is actually admitting it! Lol!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:12 pm
An interesting exercise is to count how many times he says, "I don't know" when talking about what he can conclude academically about the Book of Abraham. I am pretty sure the only time he says, "I know" is when talking about a spiritual witness.

Unofficial Tally--Dr. Muhlestein says "I don't know" or its variants 15 times during this 18-minute video.
Joseph Smith got virtually nothing right.

Muhlestein is a clown. He should have been a used cars salesman. People that believe that fool deserve what they get. He's speaking out of both sides of his cheeks having lying lips and a forked tongue. The man is a devil.

:mad:
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

They have deleted Dan Vogel's comment but not mine as yet.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

aussieguy55 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 pm
They can't delete our comments here and they can't stop Radio Free Mormon until such time as it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the Book of Abraham is removed from Mormon canon and Shulem's work is done.

:lol:
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I don’t know if this was posted, does it accompany the video?
Update from Kerry Muhlestein re: Raising the Abrahamic Discourse
September 2, 2020 by Trevor Holyoak 1 Comment

[This is an update to a post from August 25, Raising the Abrahamic Discourse: An Essay on the Nature of Dialogues About the Book of Abraham]

UPDATE
I believe that academic dialogue is important and can be fruitful. There are many scholars who are academically interested in the Book of Abraham, its translation, and its content. Some scholars have even made such study their life’s work. (This is not unusual in many specialized subject areas.)

Regardless of the area of study, all scholars approach any topic with their own sets of existing beliefs. It is impossible for a scholar to be a “blank slate” when it comes to any field of study. It is no surprise that my existing beliefs are consistent with what I view as the prophetic calling of Joseph Smith. It is likewise no surprise that others, including Professor Ritner, start with a set of beliefs that preclude divine involvement in the work of Joseph Smith.

With that in mind and because I am truly interested in academic dialogue about the Book of Abraham, before I posted any kind of response online, I personally contacted Professor Ritner. I suggested that we work together on creating an academic volume on the subject. I suggested possible guidelines for doing so, possible academic venues, possible editors, and even a potential table of contents. I modeled it after volumes on contested issues that have been successfully done in academia elsewhere. The goal would be to have a balanced approach observing the highest academic rigor and tone, creating a dialogue with each other rather than having parties who speak past each other. If done correctly, I believe that such an approach can lead to real progress.

Dr. Ritner graciously declined, citing his current health circumstances. This is very understandable. I have responded, letting him know that I am open to other options as long as we can find something that would adhere to appropriate academic standards. I have also offered to fly to Chicago, once pandemic conditions have stabilized, to discuss this matter with him.

Finally, I hope that no one will speculate about Professor Ritner’s reasons for declining my invitation. The best thing for all of us is that others do not presume they know what either his or my intentions are, and that we are both given a reasonable space to work towards something together in the midst of his difficult circumstances. I believe it is possible to make true academic progress in this matter, and will continue to work towards making that happen.

Kerry Muhlestein, September 2, 2020

https://www.fairmormon.org/blog/2020/09 ... -discourse
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

aussieguy55 wrote:
Why on earth did they delete Dan Vogel’s comment? It was professional and academic. There were no personal attacks or anything remotely disparaging.

Good Lord! Those Mopologists sure can’t handle open and honest debates.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:59 pm
aussieguy55 wrote:
Why on earth did they delete Dan Vogel’s comment? It was professional and academic. There were no personal attacks or anything remotely disparaging.

Good Lord! Those Mopologists sure can’t handle open and honest debates.
Because they will lose, and they know it. It's why discoursing with them is a waste of time. They will always make sure things are loaded to favor them one way or another. The Gospel cannot uphold itself, it needs supporting apologetic lies to make it coherent. That is, truly, all one needs to know.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:11 pm
"You have to say that Joseph Smith was hundreds of times luckier than any other person that has ever lived on Earth to have gotten all of these things so right."15.35

Hundreds? Sounds like an exaggeration.

The same kind of "millions of mummies" exaggeration that got Dr. Muhlestein's permit to dig in Egypt revoked.
Not at all, Consig ...

... but only if data analysis is provided by Bruce & Brian Dale :razz:
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 am
Because they will lose, and they know it. It's why discoursing with them is a waste of time. They will always make sure things are loaded to favor them one way or another. The Gospel cannot uphold itself, it needs supporting apologetic lies to make it coherent. That is, truly, all one needs to know.
Mealy-mouthed Muhlestein, with a sly devilish look, is only going to fool the dumb and stupid re-tarded brains of the M O R M O N Church who are desperate to be accepted as Christians -- "Look at us, we're Christians too".

:lol:

No, they aren't Christians; not until they get rid of Heavenly Father's exposed erect penis sticking out in Facsimile No. 2. Oh my God!

:surprised:

Run Mary, run!