Grindael: RIP, A MDB Treasure

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Grindael: RIP, A MormonDiscussions.com Treasure

Post by _RockSlider »

I too am very sorry to hear this.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Holy Ghost wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:33 pm
I am saddened to hear about this. Although some of his posts with serial quotes and citations were TL;DR for my level of interest in a given topic, those about topics that I have sufficient interest in to read through always enlightened me with facts I did not know before that. It would be not only a fitting tribute to grindael, but also a handy resource if in the hall of fame, pinned threads one is created to collect all of grindael's well-cited posts.
I second that motion.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

What a loss.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

This is sad news. I can only say with the rest of you, sorry and he will be missed. I hope his work will not be lost or ended by his premature passing.
_jfro18
_Emeritus

Post by _jfro18 »

Wow - that's heartbreaking news to see and a shock. I obviously did not know him beyond here, but he was gracious to take a lot of time replying with sources and was an incredibly talented historian and was clearly loved and respected on here. A huge loss and just sad to see.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:11 pm
Holy Ghost wrote:
I am saddened to hear about this. Although some of his posts with serial quotes and citations were TL;DR for my level of interest in a given topic, those about topics that I have sufficient interest in to read through always enlightened me with facts I did not know before that. It would be not only a fitting tribute to grindael, but also a handy resource if in the hall of fame, pinned threads one is created to collect all of grindael's well-cited posts.
I second that motion.
I third that motion........his materials should be easy to access, at the very least we can do to honor his memory.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:00 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:44 am
I think my heart just broke.
It is very sad, Jersey. I am sorry for your loss. For my loss. For our loss.

I am very concerned for his family.
This was the third sad thing I came to see involving the board that was one thing too many yesterday and I just went to tears.

I am just going to say this regarding the family since what I saw on Facebook was a public post. There was a fundraiser that was apparently open for only a short few days and is now closed. Do you think we could do that for them? If you or someone else who knows better than I how to set one up, I will publicize it here in all forums and contribute.

Someone do it, please. I think from what I read it would be important. I think there is something called Venmo where unlike GFM, all monies raised go to the recipient.
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:11 pm
Holy Ghost wrote:
I second that motion.
I think someone would need to arrange a back up copy of his contributions given the current board situation. There could come a day where none of our current posts transfer.

ETA: I can collect a set of links to his work from Paradise Forum.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I would absolutely love it if his work here was stickied. It’s too valuable to just disappear into the ether.

Not gonna lie, I’m bummed.

- Doc
_Most High
_Emeritus

Post by _Most High »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:17 pm

This was the third sad thing I came to see involving the board that was one thing too many yesterday and I just went to tears.

I am just going to say this regarding the family since what I saw on Facebook was a public post. There was a fundraiser that was apparently open for only a short few days and is now closed. Do you think we could do that for them? If you or someone else who knows better than I how to set one up, I will publicize it here in all forums and contribute.

Someone do it, please. I think from what I read it would be important. I think there is something called Venmo where unlike GFM, all monies raised go to the recipient.
I second this motion!!
I did share the fundraiser, but by the time people in my part of the world started to respond, it closed.
To my understanding they have been in a pretty bad financial situation without insurance etc, and his wife is now left with a lot of bills to pay.

I for one would like to see that fundraiser cascade!
Anyone here in contact with his wife?