Dr. Peterson Thanks Us for Peer Reviewing "Witnesses"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Dr. Peterson Thanks Us for Peer Reviewing "Witnesses"

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

I have to say, it's about damned time:
Sic et Non wrote:My wife and I have just returned from a private showing of the latest director’s cut of the Interpreter Foundation’s Witnesses theatrical film, at the home of its producer. The director and the other principal member of the project’s cinematographic inner circle were also there.

I was very pleased. Plainly the film has profited from the discussions and comments that followed its prior screenings. Some things have been cut, some things have been added, and, overall, I think the narrative flow is much improved.
(emphasis mine)

Nice to see him being honest for once. First: I hope they that took appropriate pandemic-related safety measures. Their track record on that subject has been pretty shaky, unfortunately. Still, Dr. Peterson's comments here are kind of vague. What's been "cut"? The image of that battery pack clipped to the back of the actor's pants? Have they cut that scene where the young Joseph Smith smacks his pursuer with the Gold Plates? Who knows!

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad that Prof. P. feels that "the narrative flow is much improved." You're welcome. But, of course, we will all have to see for ourselves how the thing has turned out. You get the sense from his post (especially this line: "but we are now beginning to turn our serious attention to the next phase of the overall effort, the documentary") that he's in a hurry to move on from the anxieties that the narrative film has caused him. I guess that I don't blame him. I do think they did their best, but the proof, as they say, will be in the pudding. And they still have not released an "official" trailer. Time to move on to the documentary--just like the man said.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Dr. Peterson Thanks Us for Peer Reviewing "Witnesses"

Post by _moksha »

Wonder if any adjustments should be made in light of the latest Shannon Montez podcast on Mormon Stories? Even though many anti-Mormons have pledged themselves as allies with Rosebud, they would be remiss in not watching that part 4 episode with Ms Montez, since it contains so much information.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

My take is that only a modest number of scenes were shot showing the sequence of events for this film- for example, maybe a scene of Joseph Smith being told there are gold plates in them thar hill; digging up the plates and Joseph Smith running through the woods with a sack of plates; early activities with the plates among mom and dad , the brothers and neighbors; hiding the plates in the woods and a barrel; Joseph Smith with the 3 witnesses; Joseph Smith with the 8 witnesses; some background on a few of the witnesses especially martin harris ( of jesus is a deer fame).

now the second part will be "scholars" probably all Mormon maybe a few non believers(i would love for them to discuss this with DV ), being asked specific questions like "would you comment on the honesty of the 3 witnesses"?

they could show the short scenes and intersperse them with scholarly comments, then conclude it is all true!

can this movie be more than 30 minutes without boring the hell out of viewers.

dan - how was popcorn at your executive director preview? plenty of butter and salt i bet!

just postulatin
k
_Temp. Admin.
_Emeritus

Post by _Temp. Admin. »

kairos wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 pm
. . . now the second part will be "scholars" probably all Mormon maybe a few non believers(i would love for them to discuss this with DV ),
Why would you want them to discuss it with domestic violence? That sounds very counter-productive.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Think about how many posts Dr. Peterson had to do in response to criticism on this board. Just recall how *incensed* he was over the fact that we'd spotted that wireless mic pack! LOL!

Well, hey--(ahem)--let's move on to the documentary.
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

That mic had some glare, that's for sure. Really distracting. But I'll bet it gets left in -- double down!
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Notice Dan did not say "It's terrific" simply mumbled that it i has been going through a cut and paste hack job to get the "flow " right and it is much improved!
Yep! there is trouble in river city and it starts with the letter "W". Oct 2020 deadline may be difficult to meet!

just surmisin'

k
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

I am getting really excited to see Witnesses! I hope there is at least a nod to Martin’s deer Christ in there somewhere. Maybe a kind of contextual nature shot that has a deer in it followed immediately by a jump to Martin’s face. A wink to the truly savvy fan of Martin’s kookiness.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Rev: "I am getting really excited to see Witnesses! I hope there is at least a nod to Martin’s deer Christ in there somewhere. Maybe a kind of contextual nature shot that has a deer in it followed immediately by a jump to Martin’s face. A wink to the truly savvy fan of Martin’s kookiness."

Perhaps you jest, but this is a serious proposal. Where the Witness film is still up against the wall, even if they correct the sound and black out the battery pack and mic, is that with rare exception, a straight-forward hero's journey just isn't in fashion outside of North Korea. It will work for many of the members while others will get bored. But outside of church membership it will be received as unmitigated propaganda. That would have still largely been true in the seventies and eighties also I'm sure, but with the backdrop of colorful heroes in today's movies and television, it will be especially obvious.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I also think Witnesses will bomb, probably like most here do. Faithful narratives don't sell well, as Gadianton says above, except for the robot believing rah rah crowd. I hated Legacy when I came back from my mission and Meet the Mormons didn't do that well either. People don't like being played.

Too bad Deer Jesus won't be a part of the film. It has so much potential. It could have been used to explore the hallucinogenic mushroom angle. (I don't know how much proof there is for this but at least the film would be interesting when Martin blasts off on his trip and has deer jesus as his guide). It also could have been used as a backdrop to show a global point about how over-exuberance and a hyper-desire to believe leads to crazy belief systems like Mormonism and other religions.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen