Death of Tom Kimball

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Death of Tom Kimball

Post by _Meadowchik »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:54 pm

Honestly, I think some of this is resentment for not having Lindsay's audience. Rosebud continues to have these axes to grind. I am not eager to continue to give Rosebud more of my attention. Her way of dealing with her negative experience with John suggests to me that she is carrying too much baggage to be the ideal advocate for victims. Her intensity is practically bonkers level.

I mean, look, she can't stop attacking Dehlin even in this project. Dear me.

I do find it humorous that juliann and Calm are running to Rosebud's defense though. LOL.
Well, I wholeheartedly wish her well.

I think there is some seriously good potential in her stated objectives.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:56 am
Well, I wholeheartedly wish her well.

I think there is some seriously good potential in her stated objectives.
I wouldn’t expect any less, and I wish her the best too. She is obviously a very capable person. That said, the saying, “physician, heal thyself,” comes to mind.

All of my experience with her has been watching her swoop into an ongoing discussion to start criticizing and attacking some person she has a beef with, and that is when she isn’t initiating the discussion as an attack.

Her last thread here announced her project AND attacked John. Then it became mostly an attack on John.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/viewt ... 3#p1224723
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Oh wait...so, Rosebud=Anne McMullin? Didn't see that coming.

Sounds like she's accusing Lindsay, then, for being party to her being mistreated by Dehlin...And now it makes sense why he was thrown into this.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Tom Kimball Online Funeral and Obituary

Post by _Meadowchik »

Obituary
Thomas Smith Kimball (53) passed away on October 13, 2020 in Logan, Utah. Tom was born on March 24, 1967 in Salt Lake City, Utah, the son of Elden Clifford Kimball and Esther Anderson. He married Page Ogden on September 23, 1989. Many years later, they divorced. On April 28, 2018, he married Kelly Christine McAfee. Survivors include: his wife Kelly, his former spouse Page, his children James (Tayler) Kimball, Jessie (Gage Jensen) Kimball, Shad Kimball, Rhyan Kimball, Rachael Kimball, a grandson Tommy, and his siblings Lynda Richards, Dan Kimball, John Kimball, and Stacey Larsen. He is preceded in death by his parents and 3 siblings, Glenn Kimball, Jimmy Kimball, and Mary Kimball.
"As we lay Tom's body to rest, we recognize the pain he caused many lives on. We mourn for and stand by each victim."
Private services will be held by his family. The memorial service will be livestreamed via Zoom for those not in attendance.

Click on the following link to join in on the funeral service via Zoom. Please make note of the following prior to joining to ensure a smooth transition into the Zoom meeting: wait to join until 30 minutes prior to the service start time, download the Zoom application onto your device and make an account (this is free), and join with your device's audio and not phone audio unless you plan to call into the meeting.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81436843472?p ... NEb0MzUT09

Meeting ID: 814 3684 3472
Passcode: 057479
https://www.andersonmortuary.com/obitua ... cm3TCwuzZg

His family again released a public statement:
Dear friends and family, My dad's funeral will be tomorrow October 20th at 2pm. This will not be in person due to corona virus. It will be live streamed via zoom and recorded to watch either live or on you own time. We would like to warn everyone that this will not be a conventional funeral. We will be talking about subjects that can be triggering for mental health such as suicide and various forms of abuse. This is not a funeral that will talk only about the good, it will also talk about the negative. It will be my dad; The good, the bad, the ugly. We hope that sharing our truth will help bring some much needed closure.
https://www.Facebook.com/jessica.kimbal ... 4021960683
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Stem wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:58 pm
Oh wait...so, Rosebud=Anne McMullin? Didn't see that coming.

Sounds like she's accusing Lindsay, then, for being party to her being mistreated by Dehlin...And now it makes sense why he was thrown into this.
To be fair to Rosebud, I am sure she is both genuine in her interest to the plight of victims and well trained to do something for them. That said, I think she would benefit from not allowing these personal beefs get in the way of her work. I see the bind. Her work does interface with what she sees as the shoddy and irresponsible work of these people. The trouble is this: we all know of her personal beefs. So she undercuts her own cause every time she includes one of these people in her tirades regarding proper victim advocacy.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: Tom Kimball Online Funeral and Obituary

Post by _Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:16 pm
His family again released a public statement:
Dear friends and family, My dad's funeral will be tomorrow October 20th at 2pm. This will not be in person due to corona virus. It will be live streamed via zoom and recorded to watch either live or on you own time. We would like to warn everyone that this will not be a conventional funeral. We will be talking about subjects that can be triggering for mental health such as suicide and various forms of abuse. This is not a funeral that will talk only about the good, it will also talk about the negative. It will be my dad; The good, the bad, the ugly. We hope that sharing our truth will help bring some much needed closure.
https://www.Facebook.com/jessica.kimbal ... 4021960683
I wish them all the best. My heart aches for the victims and the family. Frankly, though, Tom gets very little sympathy from me. Approaching no sympathy, in fact. I am sorry if that hurts someone else who is mourning Tom, but this kind of serial abuse for decades is so horrendous that it would be an insult to the victims even to be polite about this monster and the horrors he wrought.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 pm
I wish them all the best. My heart aches for the victims and the family. Frankly, though, Tom gets very little sympathy from me. Approaching no sympathy, in fact. I am sorry if that hurts someone else who is mourning Tom, but this kind of serial abuse for decades is so horrendous that it would be an insult to the victims even to be polite about this monster and the horrors he wrought.
Some of the people who knew Tom - or thought that they did - are still trying to come to terms with the Jekyll and Hyde that they associated with.

I don't know of anyone who is excusing his abusive behaviour in any way, but some are genuinely mourning the Tom that they had come to like/love/admire. Such feelings are not always easy to turn off, and will take some time to work through.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

malkie wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:01 pm

I don't know of anyone who is excusing his abusive behaviour in any way, but some are genuinely mourning the Tom that they had come to like/love/admire. Such feelings are not always easy to turn off, and will take some time to work through.
That is so difficult. I think that part of this is an sort of an existential dilemma that humans have not roundly solved, namely, that evildoing is not easy to spot. And there is no perfect rule to predict it. That is scary as hell. And we rely on trust to function in human community and civilization. So it requires energy to watch out for it. It is difficult to manage uncertainty and to not have the comfort of certainty. I think that if we learn how to be better at managing uncertainty and coping in life without certainty, we will be better at dealing with the cognitive dissonance like this, less likely to seek easy answers as the easy way through, and therefore better at opposing evil.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

malkie wrote:
Some of the people who knew Tom - or thought that they did - are still trying to come to terms with the Jekyll and Hyde that they associated with.

I am not intending to attack anyone for going through that process. I am talking about my process.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:32 pm
malkie wrote:

I am not intending to attack anyone for going through that process. I am talking about my process.
Thanks, Kish - I didn't take it as an attack.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."