The 2020 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Doctor Scratch
_Emeritus

The 2020 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _Doctor Scratch »

Friends and Colleagues:

My heart brims with affection this autumn season. Things have been so hard, but we can at least rest assured that certain things in life--such as Mopologetics--will continue to operate like clockwork. Even a pandemic will not throw them off their game! And I have to say: Cassius is on the west coast, and all the fires, among other things, have been difficult to deal with and think about. But I truly believe that good things are ahead. Better times are coming before too much longer. The air is cooler: the stifling heat of summer has passed. And we are in the holiday season. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. All traditions that anchor us to our own humanity. And thus, it only makes sense that we'd set aside some time to honor this year's recipient of the very prestigious Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. The award was established a long time ago by Dean Robbers, and it's meant to honor somebody who has made an unmistakable and transformative contribution to the field of Mopologetics. This year, there can be no doubt that the most deserving person is: Hannah Seariac!

Seariac, of course, became famous after (allegedly) circulating a petition meant to "out" and "eliminate" "liberal" professors at BYU. Seariac has been rumored to be a protege of John Gee, and thus one of the "heir apparents" of the Mopologists' legacy. But Seariac has expressed hesitancy and fear as well: there have been moments when it has seemed like she wants nothing to do with the Mopologists. I'm sure Dr. Midgley already has plans for dealing with her eventual exit.

But, who knows? Maybe she's in it for the long haul, though I doubt it. In the meantime, Hannah Seariac is in her prime as one of the vanguard of this fledgling "Mopologetic Youth"/DezNat movement. But the fact that Daniel Peterson has withdrawn his support is probably the death knell.

Well, as they say: "It was fun while it lasted."
"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: The 2020 Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award

Post by _moksha »

Will the story of Dr. Louis Midgley's epic journey to New Zealand be mentioned in a later year-end wrap up?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr Moore
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Moore »

Seariac is far more deserving than the other nominees. Well chosen, Doctor!

When did Doctor Peterson withdraw his support?
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:35 am
Friends and Colleagues:

My heart brims with affection this autumn season. Things have been so hard, but we can at least rest assured that certain things in life--such as Mopologetics--will continue to operate like clockwork. Even a pandemic will not throw them off their game! And I have to say: Cassius is on the west coast, and all the fires, among other things, have been difficult to deal with and think about. But I truly believe that good things are ahead. Better times are coming before too much longer. The air is cooler: the stifling heat of summer has passed. And we are in the holiday season. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. All traditions that anchor us to our own humanity. And thus, it only makes sense that we'd set aside some time to honor this year's recipient of the very prestigious Sampson Avard Golden Scepter Award. The award was established a long time ago by Dean Robbers, and it's meant to honor somebody who has made an unmistakable and transformative contribution to the field of Mopologetics. This year, there can be no doubt that the most deserving person is: Hannah Seariac!

Seariac, of course, became famous after (allegedly) circulating a petition meant to "out" and "eliminate" "liberal" professors at BYU. Seariac has been rumored to be a protege of John Gee, and thus one of the "heir apparents" of the Mopologists' legacy. But Seariac has expressed hesitancy and fear as well: there have been moments when it has seemed like she wants nothing to do with the Mopologists. I'm sure Dr. Midgley already has plans for dealing with her eventual exit.

But, who knows? Maybe she's in it for the long haul, though I doubt it. In the meantime, Hannah Seariac is in her prime as one of the vanguard of this fledgling "Mopologetic Youth"/DezNat movement. But the fact that Daniel Peterson has withdrawn his support is probably the death knell.

Well, as they say: "It was fun while it lasted."
Doctor, I have to say that I am truly impressed that you were able to set aside time from all of your humanitarian efforts in supporting the battle against wildfires and the efforts to address the impact of COVID-19 in order to make this special announcement. I was busy scrubbing ash off of the roof of the Brutus Memorial Chapel and Rectory, when an RA in our much-lauded Jaredite Studies program (working for Professor Symmachus) shouted up to me with this exciting news. I had a feeling Hannah Seariac was looking at some recognition and notoriety this season, and I am not disappointed!

To your generous description of Ms. Seariac, I would like to add the following notes from her growing curriculum vitae:

In a short time, Hannah Seariac has gone from being a right-wing Catholic culture warrior in the fine tradition of Steven Bannon, Bill Barr, and Amy Coney Barrett, to being a DezNat-adjacent culture warrior in league with the Mormon alt-right darling Tristan Mourier. Who can forget her efforts to make sure that her Catholic college kept the school newspaper named "The Crusader"? Who can forget her efforts at staging a mass online publication of the dark words of liberalism being spoken by professors on BYU campus? Who can forget her softball interview questions for John Gee at the FAIR podcast, or her blog entry devoted to attacking John Dehlin and falsely accusing Chino Blanco of being a pedophile? Indeed, who can forget that her blog was once called "Bible and Brigham Based," which is a double nod to DezNat and alt-right popular discourse?

In a short time, Hannah has expended a lot of enthusiasm and energy. Her record seems positively manic. But, we should not forget that she is young, and she is, after all, studying Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, and Mayan, so this does not leave her a lot of time to think before she jumps. I look forward to hearing much more from the irrepressible Hannah. Any little flecks of history from her early career will be gracefully forgotten if she stays with Mopologetics for the long haul.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Somebody want to list each year's winner? I don't want to go back and try to create the list, but if someone has it, it'd be fun to see.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Doctor Scratch wrote:Cassius is on the west coast, and all the fires, among other things, have been difficult to deal with and think about.
That reminds me: during my senior year of high school, I toured several college campuses in the northeastern part of the United States. While passing through Massachusetts, I thought I'd swing by Cassius for a tour. Imagine my surprise when I learned that Cassius was on the west coast! (I think I completely misunderstood the popular slogan "Harvard is the Cassius of the East.") Of course, I ended up matriculating at Cassius (before I was flunked out).
Doctor Scratch wrote:Seariac, of course, became famous after (allegedly) circulating a petition meant to "out" and "eliminate" "liberal" professors at BYU.
How's that campaign going? I occasionally check KFBYU's Instagram account. Nothing has been posted since September 8. Is it a complete flop? Surely at least one BYU professor has said something nuanced about the Family Proclamation in class in October.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

This is a huge honor, and I fear it won't be appreciated as it should. Perhaps though, one day.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:04 am
This is a huge honor, and I fear it won't be appreciated as it should. Perhaps though, one day.
Perhaps not openly, Dean Robbers, but something tells me that every winner brags about it in the company of fellow apologists.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:00 pm
... and she is, after all, studying Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Coptic, and Mayan, ...
Hannah must be pretty smart to be studying the proto-Uto-Aztecan languages.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Tom
_Emeritus

Post by _Tom »

Is this board working? I tried to put up a new post yesterday and received error messages.
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac