Fixing Old "mormondiscussions.com" Links

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Fixing Old "mormondiscussions.com" Links

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:26 pm
You guys are amazing. Wonderful job. The lds discussions community owes you a huge debt of gratitude.

- Doc
Absolutely, yes. Thank you!!
Tom
Regional Representative

Re: Fixing old links

Post by Tom »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:42 am
Here’s an example. From the Hall of Fame links.

The Mopologist also Rises, by Bob Bobberson

Old Link (no longer active)
http://www.mormondiscussions.com/viewto ... =1&t=34500

Remove the forum locator (f=1 in this case).
Adjust the topic locator (t=34500 becomes t=134500).
Fix the domain.

New link :ugeek:
http://www.discussmormonism.com/viewtopic.php?t=134500

Voila!!
I miss reading Bob Bobberson. I wish Bob would publish again.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

Hey folks,

I didn't forget my earlier offer. I just had less free time than I expected to. If you want an easy way to convert old forum links, you can paste them into the form at https://dmfix.jlamothe.net. It's kind of ugly, but it should work well enough.

Please feel free to contact me with any bugs/feature requests... I might even get around to doing something about them. ;)
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

that's pretty slick, jlamothe; great contribution.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

jlamothe wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:50 am
Hey folks,

I didn't forget my earlier offer. I just had less free time than I expected to. If you want an easy way to convert old forum links, you can paste them into the form at https://dmfix.jlamothe.net. It's kind of ugly, but it should work well enough.

Thank you, jlamothe!
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

jlamothe wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:50 am
Please feel free to contact me with any bugs/feature requests... I might even get around to doing something about them. ;)
Can you write us a script wherein two posts in a row by the same username get merged into one post?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

The moderator team is going to repair old links that we come across to help ease navigating older posts. In that effort, if you come across links within the old board posts that make reference to other old board posts that need to be updated please report that post and make note that a link needs to be repaired. Please note that you only need report links within those threads that posters no longer have edit rights to. By reporting those currently broken links it will more easily allow us to manage the work.

Thanks in advance for helping us identify and repair these links and a very special thanks from the team to jlamothe for building a tool to aid in that process.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:53 am
Can you write us a script wherein two posts in a row by the same username get merged into one post?
Are you looking to de-duplicate accidental double posts? I could probably figure that out if I knew the schema of the database.

Edit: typo
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

I had the url to Symmachus' bad ass post 'Allima ben Yehuda and the prophet Galma' but I done screwed it. Can someone hold my hand, I spent about 10 minutes looking for it on the waybackmachine, but I'm out of time.

OLD URL: http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic. ... E#p1138867

ETA: When I made the changes it took me to a post from Dean Robbers about dead chickens and mopologists. I suspect I may be the victim of some next level trolling from errant Thetans.

jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

This link does not appear to be in the format mentioned at the start of this thread. How did you change it?

Edit: the p in the anchor was messing with the tool I wrote. Is this what you were looking for?

viewtopic.php?p=2638867&fbclid=IwAR1g_v ... AftS1u_dQE