Fixing Old "mormondiscussions.com" Links

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Xenophon
God

Re: Fixing Old "mormondiscussions.com" Links

Post by Xenophon »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:18 pm
I had the url to Symmachus' bad ass post 'Allima ben Yehuda and the prophet Galma' but I done screwed it. Can someone hold my hand, I spent about 10 minutes looking for it on the waybackmachine, but I'm out of time.

OLD URL: http://mormondiscussions.com/viewtopic. ... E#p1138867

ETA: When I made the changes it took me to a post from Dean Robbers about dead chickens and mopologists. I suspect I may be the victim of some next level trolling from errant Thetans.

Here you go sir: viewtopic.php?p=2638867

I just pulled everything out of it but the "p=" portion and cut it off at the & since that is the post identifier and frankly the only bit you need.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

jlamothe wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:51 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:53 am
Can you write us a script wherein two posts in a row by the same username get merged into one post?
Are you looking to de-duplicate accidental double posts? I could probably figure that out if I knew the schema of the database.
That too. But I was primarily wanting to have no two posts in a row be by the same person. You know, when someone responds to ceeboo, then immediately responds to symmachus, then immediately responds to philo sofee. We then have three posts in a row by one person when it really should be one post by that person containing all their replies to everyone.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 pm
jlamothe wrote:
Are you looking to de-duplicate accidental double posts? I could probably figure that out if I knew the schema of the database.
That too. But I was primarily wanting to have no two posts in a row be by the same person. You know, when someone responds to ceeboo, then immediately responds to symmachus, then immediately responds to philo sofee. We then have three posts in a row by one person when it really should be one post by that person containing all their replies to everyone.
That doesn't make sense if you want to address someone with context by quoting some aspect of their post. I don’t think grouping three responses into one post can offer a less confusing framework.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Post by DrStakhanovite »

jlamothe wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:07 pm
Edit: the p in the anchor was messing with the tool I wrote. Is this what you were looking for?

viewtopic.php?p=2638867&fbclid=IwAR1g_v ... AftS1u_dQE
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 pm
Here you go sir: viewtopic.php?p=2638867
I just pulled everything out of it but the "p=" portion and cut it off at the & since that is the post identifier and frankly the only bit you need.
Bah! I knew I was screwing it up. Both of you are gentlemen and scholars.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 pm
jlamothe wrote:
Sorry Dr. Shades, but this is not possible without an expensive and risky .php development project. I wouldn’t recommend.
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:57 pm
Sorry Dr. Shades, but this is not possible without an expensive and risky .php development project. I wouldn’t recommend.
Yeah, the more I think about it the more dubious the risk/reward tradeoff is. Also, PHP is not my strong suit. Haven't touched it since the '00s.

It could theoretically be done, but at the risk of corrupting the database.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

jlamothe wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:26 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:57 pm
Yeah, the more I think about it the more dubious the risk/reward tradeoff is. Also, PHP is not my strong suit. Haven't touched it since the '00s.

It could theoretically be done, but at the risk of corrupting the database.
I've seen this very feature in action on a different message board. I can't remember its URL, though.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
jlamothe
Star A

Post by jlamothe »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:02 am
I've seen this very feature in action on a different message board. I can't remember its URL, though.
Don't get me wrong. It can be done. You would probably want someone more familiar with PHPBB than me.