FAIRMormon Open House in 3 hours

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: FAIRMormon Open House in 3 hours

Post by IHAQ »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:28 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:39 pm
I agree with you, but don’t see that a fixed office is necessary to facilitate in-person interactions. Other foc options exist.
I get what you are saying, and you are right, of course, but I think a sense of place is another very human quality. We tend to like to inhabit a familiar space. Not everyone to the same extent, naturally, but a lot of us do. I know I do.
Again I find myself agreeing with your sentiment, generally. But specifically disagreeing that a small disparate group of apologists that have operated quite happily without a permanent, designated base, need now to have such a thing. It seems like a waste of precious donations - unless FAIR has money to burn?
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

My friends and I had a wonderful dinner last night at the City Cafe, conveniently located in downtown Ephraim. The Hot Sausage open-faced sandwich was delicious, as were the Pork Chop Dinner (served with apple sauce upon request), Fishwich (served with thousand island dressing upon request), and Chicken Fried Skillet (cubed chicken fried steak over your choice of potato, smothered with country gravy), but the Navajo Taco (a hot scone with chili, melted cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, and olives--all for $8.99) was simply divine. Indeed, it was the very best taco I've ever eaten. We topped off the evening by strolling down to the famous Malt Shop, where we sipped on old-fashioned pumpkin shakes topped with soupçons of fry sauce.

I regret that I couldn't make the open house, but I must say that it seems to have been poorly advertised (there's no mention of it, for example, on FAIR's Twitter and Facebook accounts). Did Mr. Gordon explain how FAIR acquired the assistance of church service missionaries?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Was the acquisition of office space related to the use of service missionaries? And how does the use of service missionaries go along with their stated (I thought) independence from the lds church?
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Lem wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:12 pm
Was the acquisition of office space related to the use of service missionaries? And how does the use of service missionaries go along with their stated (I thought) independence from the lds church?
And who is paying for the office space? Does FAIRMormon (victory for Satan) publish a transparent accounting of its financial dealings?
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 am
Given the lessons learned during the global pandemic about the benefits of working from home, and the workings of modern electronic communications etc. why would FAIRMormon (victory for Satan) waste money renting unnecessary offices? Everyone can work from home, collaborate digitally and meet in person in public places like coffee shops, libraries etc. All at no cost. Surely opening up costly office space is a regressive step for any organisation in this new world?
The office space has a reference library, an audiovisual production stage/room, computer room, a small collaborative conference room, and a reading room of sorts. I think that the purpose of the facility is multifaceted. It’s not large by any means. It’s located in an area that I would say is not a high rent district of American Fork. Nice area, but nothing overboard at all. There are a lot of folks in this area that are able to allocate volunteer time and to have a central location to work in and receive direct instruction from others will be a boon to their productivity. At least I can see that as a possibility.

Regards,
MG
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:28 am
I enjoyed meeting John Gee, Dan Peterson, Scott Gordon, and others.
What was your initial impression of Louis Midgley?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:14 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:28 am
I enjoyed meeting John Gee, Dan Peterson, Scott Gordon, and others.
What was your initial impression of Louis Midgley?
If he was there I didn’t knowingly meet him. I did talk with both Dan Peterson and John Gee. Both very personable/friendly. Both have a sense of humor. New temples were discussed.

No donuts. Vegetable and fruit tray, muffins and cookies.

Regards,
MG
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 pm
No donuts.

Regards,
MG
So they were gobbled up before you arrived.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Wow... Dr. Peterson's "announcement" was remarkably passive-aggressive: only a few hours before it was due to run? Yeah, that's not exactly going to get a whole lot of people to show up. Maybe that's for the best, though, due to COVID? I bet that there is a certain amount of resentment on the part of the "Interpreter" stalwarts towards FAIR, despite the crossover membership/affiliation. After all, FAIR gets a chunk of its funding directly from the Church. Is that true for "Mormon Interpreter," too? I believe the Midgley revealed that it is.

In any case, I'm curious: is the "house" shaped like a ziggurat?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:25 pm
Wow... Dr. Peterson's "announcement" was remarkably passive-aggressive: only a few hours before it was due to run? Yeah, that's not exactly going to get a whole lot of people to show up. Maybe that's for the best, though, due to COVID? I bet that there is a certain amount of resentment on the part of the "Interpreter" stalwarts towards FAIR, despite the crossover membership/affiliation. After all, FAIR gets a chunk of its funding directly from the Church. Is that true for "Mormon Interpreter," too? I believe the Midgley revealed that it is.

In any case, I'm curious: is the "house" shaped like a ziggurat?
There were quite a few people there as it was. More would have been too many. The square footage of the location isn’t enough to hold a very large group.

Regards,
MG