FAIRMormon Open House in 3 hours

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: FAIRMormon Open House in 3 hours

Post by drumdude »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:28 am
drumdude wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:36 pm

Let us know how it goes!
It was actually kind of fun. Good folks. Nice digs, but not extravagant by any means. I enjoyed meeting John Gee, Dan Peterson, Scott Gordon, and others. Again, nice people, down to earth, and enjoyable to talk with. This will be a nice facility for the FAIR folks to work out of.

Regards,
MG
I’m sure they’re much nicer in person than online. I remember seeing some candid videos of Peterson from back in the day but it seems none of them made it to YouTube. All that are left are the FAIR lectures, mostly. Which is a shame because the candid videos showed some of his more speculative thoughts on other topics like water dousing that I would be interested to hear again now that I know more about Dr. Peterson than I did back then.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Given the lessons learned during the global pandemic about the benefits of working from home, and the workings of modern electronic communications etc. why would FAIRMormon (victory for Satan) waste money renting unnecessary offices? Everyone can work from home, collaborate digitally and meet in person in public places like coffee shops, libraries etc. All at no cost. Surely opening up costly office space is a regressive step for any organisation in this new world?
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 am
Given the lessons learned during the global pandemic about the benefits of working from home, and the workings of modern electronic communications etc. why would FAIRMormon (victory for Satan) waste money renting unnecessary offices? Everyone can work from home, collaborate digitally and meet in person in public places like coffee shops, libraries etc. All at no cost. Surely opening up costly office space is a regressive step for any organisation in this new world?
Arguably this is the time to lock in office space, before rates go way back up. While most companies will accommodate something like 20-40% of employee hours working from home, the office environment will remain vital for a variety of reasons.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 am
IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 am
Arguably this is the time to lock in office space, before rates go way back up. While most companies will accommodate something like 20-40% of employee hours working from home, the office environment will remain vital for a variety of reasons.
I don’t think FAIRMormon is comparable with “most companies” do you? For one they are funded by donations - is office space a good use of donations? How many FAIRMormon “staff” live near the office space and will use it on a daily/weekly basis? This also builds in a personal “commute” cost for volunteers in both dollars and time. It’s nonsensical.

As a separate question - what will office space enable them to do that they couldn’t do already without it?
Last edited by IHAQ on Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Looks like FAIR’s decision to eighty-six the TITS boys paid off.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:56 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 am

I don’t think FAIRMormon is comparable with “most companies” do you? For one they are funded by donations - is office space a good use of donations? How many FAIRMormon “staff” live near the office space and will use it on a daily/weekly basis? This also builds in a personal “commute” cost for volunteers in both dollars and time. It’s nonsensical.

As a separate question - what will office space enable them to do that they couldn’t do already without it?
I have plenty of criticism for FAIR. Taking up some office space for the team to collaborate and work together isn’t one of them. I just hope that the team space provides a net benefit in terms of producing a better product.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Moore wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:05 am
I have plenty of criticism for FAIR. Taking up some office space for the team to collaborate and work together isn’t one of them. I just hope that the team space provides a net benefit in terms of producing a better product.
That’s my point, in this day and age you don’t need to take up a commitment on fixed office space in order to collaborate and work together effectively. Surely it must deliver something they cannot currently deliver - but I’m at a loss to identify what that might be.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Office space is still important, in my opinion. There is nothing like casually popping in on a colleague when an idea hits you. Human beings evolved to interact in person, and I think there is still something irreplaceable about that contact. I agree that we can and should do remote where it makes sense, but in person has a special irreplaceable value and will stick around for that reason.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am
Office space is still important, in my opinion. There is nothing like casually popping in on a colleague when an idea hits you. Human beings evolved to interact in person, and I think there is still something irreplaceable about that contact. I agree that we can and should do remote where it makes sense, but in person has a special irreplaceable value and will stick around for that reason.
I agree with you, but don’t see that a fixed office is necessary to facilitate in-person interactions. Other foc options exist.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:39 pm
I agree with you, but don’t see that a fixed office is necessary to facilitate in-person interactions. Other foc options exist.
I get what you are saying, and you are right, of course, but I think a sense of place is another very human quality. We tend to like to inhabit a familiar space. Not everyone to the same extent, naturally, but a lot of us do. I know I do.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow