Currently serving Apostle set to become $Billionaire

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Exiled
God

Re: Currently serving Apostle set to become $Billionaire

Post by Dr Exiled »

They really love MMJ (Mormon Money Jesus) .... in their humble way of course .....

Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:49 pm
Good for him. He co founded the business out of college decades ago. I hope Gary refuses all forms of church financial living allowance and parsonage which are offered to senior leaders.
I heard from someone close to a member of the 12 once when a group was speculating about the differences between an apostle that clearly didn't have as much money to rely on vs. someone who probably had a comfortable retirement from their career before being called into full-time church service and wouldn't need any support, that they all take the support to be equal. Of course living the law of consecration is beyond something the guys at the top could do. What they do with it may vary as in donating, subsisting on it, or just adding it to the inheritance pile is up to them. I don't know if it's true, or if this person would actually know, but it sounded like someone could've argued to their benefit that they are merely getting their 'modest' allowance to be equal with the rest.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dwight wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:49 pm
Good for him. He co founded the business out of college decades ago. I hope Gary refuses all forms of church financial living allowance and parsonage which are offered to senior leaders.
I heard from someone close to a member of the 12 once when a group was speculating about the differences between an apostle that clearly didn't have as much money to rely on vs. someone who probably had a comfortable retirement from their career before being called into full-time church service and wouldn't need any support, that they all take the support to be equal. Of course living the law of consecration is beyond something the guys at the top could do. What they do with it may vary as in donating, subsisting on it, or just adding it to the inheritance pile is up to them. I don't know if it's true, or if this person would actually know, but it sounded like someone could've argued to their benefit that they are merely getting their 'modest' allowance to be equal with the rest.
The Church spokesperson I quoted earlier categorically stated they all take the same living allowance. I wonder how the calling conversation went with Billionaire Gary…I willing to speculate that he made retaining his source of income a condition of his accepting the calling. I bet they all do where they stand to lose millions if they gave it up to consecrate themselves to what was supposed to be a full time calling, but which we now know is actually a part time calling.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

kairos wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:11 pm
Of course, Wendy might want to weigh in that Rusty is Corporation Sole and owns all things LDS.
Adding everything up, he would be worth about $800 billion, putting him ahead of Vladimir Putin.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

IHAQ: Ah, yes that slipped my mind, but I recall noting when he made the statement that it sort of confirmed what I had heard since it makes for a nice PR statement of equality.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Why do some people think the church is already worth $500 or $800 billion? The leaked EPA Universe documents suggest something like total church wealth at $200-250 billion at the end of 2019. I don’t get why people suddenly want to double or triple that.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

Dr Moore wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm
Why do some people think the church is already worth $500 or $800 billion? The leaked EPA Universe documents suggest something like total church wealth at $200-250 billion at the end of 2019. I don’t get why people suddenly want to double or triple that.
It seems to be just speculation, but perhaps with a modicum of grounding. The EPA we know holds circa $124 Billion of surplus cash, and gains circa $5/6 Billion a year just in interest. The speculation then comes around whether or not the Church has other investment vehicles that aren’t yet public + the value of for-profit enterprises owned by the Church + the value of land and buildings owned by the Church globally. We know the Church doesn’t take on debt for acquisition so all those things are unencumbered assets. When you think about all that, a speculative valuation of at least $500 billion maybe isn’t unreasonable.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

The good, though unspoken news is when Jesus's bank account here gets to one trillion bucks, he can afford to come back again to fulfill the prophecies. So, it's right around the corner, Jesus is a comin! And he's loaded for Vegas! Of course, not first without a brief stop for coffee and donuts with the dipsticks-n-dodos up in the sacred upper room of the Salt Lake Temple. I mean Jesus DOES have his priorities right...
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm
The good, though unspoken news is when Jesus's bank account here gets to one trillion bucks, he can afford to come back again to fulfill the prophecies. So, it's right around the corner, Jesus is a comin! And he's loaded for Vegas! Of course, not first without a brief stop for coffee and donuts with the dipsticks-n-dodos up in the sacred upper room of the Salt Lake Temple. I mean Jesus DOES have his priorities right...
It has always amazed me. Jesus can master DNA. Jesus can master the construction of a black hole. Jesus can create species with astronomical numbers. What can't Jesus do? Make money without people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:25 pm
It has always amazed me. Jesus can master DNA. Jesus can master the construction of a black hole. Jesus can create species with astronomical numbers. What can't Jesus do? Make money without people.
I love that George Carlin bit about god not being able to manage a nickel.

@1:35 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iouZYYzQEjU

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.