Currently serving Apostle set to become $Billionaire

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
cinepro
CTR B

Re: Currently serving Apostle set to become $Billionaire

Post by cinepro »

Honestly, I find the idea of a billionaire apostle to be hilarious. I mean, the guy is going to spend the rest of his life attending stake conferences and sitting in church meetings. Is he really going to buy his own private jet and fly around in it? Or take limos every time he visits a stake, or stay at the local Ritz Carlton?

I mean, is there anyone who would take a $billion payout in exchange for being called as an apostle and serving the rest of your life? Uh, no thanks.

His family will certainly be blessed, but for him personally...?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

cinepro wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 pm
Honestly, I find the idea of a billionaire apostle to be hilarious. I mean, the guy is going to spend the rest of his life attending stake conferences and sitting in church meetings. Is he really going to buy his own private jet and fly around in it? Or take limos every time he visits a stake, or stay at the local Ritz Carlton?

I mean, is there anyone who would take a $billion payout in exchange for being called as an apostle and serving the rest of your life? Uh, no thanks.

He certainly doesn't need the money given his calling. Maybe he should be an example and give it away? Or at least a big chunk of it? How much does his family need?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
cinepro
CTR B

Post by cinepro »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:08 pm
He certainly doesn't need the money given his calling. Maybe he should be an example and give it away? Or at least a big chunk of it? How much does his family need?
I would be more surprised if he didn't give a big chunk of it away somehow.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

After paying tithing, of course.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:43 pm
After paying tithing, of course.
I thought the apostles were granted an exemption from tithing, but that might be for just the money they receive from the Church, such as their stipend and parsonage allowance.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 pm
Rivendale wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:32 pm

It has always amazed me. Jesus can master DNA. Jesus can master the construction of a black hole. Jesus can create species with astronomical numbers. What can't Jesus do? Make money without people.
I love that George Carlin bit about god not being able to manage a nickel.

@1:35 - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iouZYYzQEjU

- Doc
He can heal cataracts also. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZeWPScnolo
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

Post by Craig Paxton »

Good for him
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

Post by Craig Paxton »

cinepro wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:04 pm

Well said. Gary is making a huge sacrifice for something he believes in. He'll never personally benefit from the work of his life time labors and ingenuity in building his business up literally from the ground floor. In a way I feel bad for him and his wife. Here they have wealth unimaginable and will never personally benefit from it. Kind of sad really.
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Making this into an issue is dumb.

He co founded a business and still owns shares. He served on the board because he’s one of the most qualified people to serve on the board.

He also served in the church and rose to the highest ranks.

Big deal.

None of the money he’s made was earned as a board member.

I see nothing to see here. Except for a reminder that the church promotes wealthy, educated men instead of uneducated, poor fisherman and laborers to the apostleship.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

If Gary sells his shares once his lockup expires, he could buy the church a small fleet of G6’s. After all, walking on air is the new walking on water.