The best posts from Dan Peterson in this forum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

The best posts from Dan Peterson in this forum

Post by drumdude »

It's a shame you can't search by author in the imported posts from the old forum. But there are, according to the number by user _Daniel_Peterson's name, 7000 or so posts he made during his time here. I'm sure there's some gems in there worth preserving. It's very time consuming and tedious to search page by page looking for his posts, but at least they're still here. Here are a couple of starting points:

Dan on Horses in Book of Mormon
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102694&start=40

Dan on MDB and MAD
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102626

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I'm saddened Daniel doesn't post here anymore. Perhaps one day he'll get some courage to return and mix it up a bit.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: The best posts from Dan Peterson in this forum

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

“Daniel C. Peterson” wrote: I don't do prolonged, meaty discussions on message boards. Never have.

My truly serious writing goes elsewhere. (I've got three substantial book manuscripts underway at the moment, and need to revise a previously published book for a third edition. Plus some articles that I'm working on. In addition to a book that I'm editing and my twice-annual FARMS Review.)
DCP made this comment in July of 2007. Were any of these published?
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

To hunt for posts of actual interest one should hunt Beastie who has a couple of comments on horses in this linked thread. She used to have a web site made with Book of Mormon evidences reviewed. Does anybody know if it still exists?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Those were good times when DCP was posting here. I miss having more apologists to interact with.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:49 pm
To hunt for posts of actual interest one should hunt Beastie who has a couple of comments on horses in this linked thread. She used to have a web site made with Book of Mormon evidences reviewed. Does anybody know if it still exists?
Have a look at https://mormonmesoamerica.blogspot.com/
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:42 pm
It's a shame you can't search by author in the imported posts from the old forum.
You can still search for posts by old authors. But not by clicking on the author name.

What you need to do is find a thread with a post made by one of the old authors, and then look over on the right pane under their _Name and _Emeritus status.

You'll see a it says "Posts: " followed the number of that user's total posts. Click on that number and you will be at the search page which displays all posts by that user. Their posts are searchable from that page.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:09 pm
Those were good times when DCP was posting here. I miss having more apologists to interact with.
The problem is you keep converting them.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

malkie wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:12 pm
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:49 pm
Have a look at https://mormonmesoamerica.blogspot.com/
thank you sir. I hope she is doing well. It has been quite a while since I have seen post by her. Hopefully she has moved on to where she can comfortably put the subject into a distance.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Dan's contention, that the Book of Mormon horses all died from Tapiritis, has yet to be refuted.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:37 am
drumdude wrote:
Dan's contention, that the Book of Mormon horses all died from Tapiritis, has yet to be refuted.
In the Rig Vedas, some of the kings/gods had their heads lopped off, and in their place of the Soma sacrifice rituals, a horses head of prophecy was put onto them and as they entered the cauldron which represented the sun as the king was riding the chariot on the sun path, they were sacrificed. Perhaps it is the older horses pre-Nephite,Lamanite,Jaredite times which was thrown out of the chariot from above which have been found. Not really evidence for Nephites, but hey, the Sun horses anciently were important, so there is that. Perhaps the Sheum and Neum of the Book of Mormon can be tied into something to do with Soma, interestingly enough, being shown to be an entheogenic plant by Carl Ruck and R. Gordon Wasson.