BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

Post by malkie »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:48 pm
Here’s an odd one. Dan asked if these ladies from a stock photo are faking their happiness or not. I guess he just proved Mormons can’t be suicidal because they’re so dang happy in stock photos which promote the LDS church.
Well, the lady in the middle looks a little unsure to me. Her semi-smile could be fake.

Also, they don't show the face of the lady on the right - how do we know she is even smiling?

[Don't blame me :D - I'm just performing a public service by providing a stupid answer to the stupid question.]
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I bet the chances are very high (we would have to consult Kyler to be sure) that at least one of those women has left the church.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Lem wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Dan just dismissed all of Lem's work as an ad-hom attack on the authors.

Shameful, Dan.
I don't see that, but I did see this comment
dCyl > Michael Hoggan • 5 hours ago

I'm going to speak the unspeakable here.

Perhaps the same mental disturbances that raise the risk of suicide also raise the risk of same-sex attraction.

Of course, the idea that same-sex attraction might represent a form of mental disturbance is utterly beyond the pale to our scientific and cultural leaders.

http://disq.us/p/2k6rj0u
Wow.
What does he mean by "the risk of same-sex attraction"?
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:53 pm
Lem wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 pm

I don't see that, but I did see this comment

Wow.
What does he mean by "the risk of same-sex attraction"?
These attitudes have to be fueling the suicide fire and they are shared by the leadership. Interview parents of children that committed suicide and I bet we will see that their church rooted attitudes contributed or lead directly to the problem.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I don’t know if Mr. Peterson has ever been accused of being ‘too careful a reader’ or not, but when he pastes this bit:
Findings suggest that LGBTQ youth in Utah would be well served if clinicians and advocacy groups pay attention to the ways that religious affiliation and family dynamics might indirectly lead to STBs among adolescents. Public Significance Statement:

This study found that both Latter-day Saint and non-Latter-day Saint LGBTQ youth are at higher risk for experiencing suicidal thoughts and behaviors than their heterosexual or cisgender peers. Additionally, for LGBTQ youth, higher levels of family conflict and lower levels of parental closeness were related to more depression, substance misuse, self-harm, suicidal thoughts, and suicide attempts. These findings demonstrate the potential familial and religious risks that LGBTQ youth may experience in Utah.
in his blog entry it goes against his straw man argument here (green text is my addition):

[critics accuse] Latter-day Saint standards and doctrine make miserable the lives of adolescents who are attracted to people of their own sex. These critics hope to deploy youth suicides as a weapon against the claims of the Restored Church.
I don’t know what’s more oblivious, his self-own or his using suicides as a weapon against ‘critics of the church’ while moaning loudly that they’re the ones doing it.

-_-

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Canadiandude2
CTR B

Post by Canadiandude2 »

Hmm apparently this site is the board-not-ever-to-be-named.

I am learning new today :?

Also I should change my profile name.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Canadiandude2 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:38 pm
Hmm apparently this site is the board-not-ever-to-be-named.

I am learning new today :?

Also I should change my profile name.
Yes, it is! Welcome. I’m the one who looked at the statistical analysis of the paper in the OP and found an error. You know, that Peterson, Smac and Lloyd are proclaiming is no more than “ad hominem” against lds authors. :roll:
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Peterson wrote:F Kratz: "Healthiest populations in order:
Spain, Italy, Iceland, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Australia, Singapore, Norway, Israel.
The Spanish lifestyle includes a largely Mediterranean diet, close family interactions, lots of walking and universal healthcare.
Religion, apparently, is not necessary for longevity, happiness or health."

Peterson: I'm unaware of anybody here who has argued that religion is necessary for longevity, happiness, or health.
I haven't seen Peterson argue that it's sufficient either. It's always fun to see Peterson's arguments evaporate when presented with contrary evidence to the implied unsaid point he wants his readers to believe.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm
Peterson wrote:F Kratz: "Healthiest populations in order:
Spain, Italy, Iceland, Japan, Switzerland, Sweden, Australia, Singapore, Norway, Israel.
The Spanish lifestyle includes a largely Mediterranean diet, close family interactions, lots of walking and universal healthcare.
Religion, apparently, is not necessary for longevity, happiness or health."

Peterson: I'm unaware of anybody here who has argued that religion is necessary for longevity, happiness, or health.
I haven't seen Peterson argue that it's sufficient either. It's always fun to see Peterson's arguments evaporate when presented with contrary evidence to the implied unsaid point he wants his readers to believe.
Peterson regularly posts pieces under his ironically named motif “The Christopher Hitchens Religion Poisons Everything File” in an effort to show Religion is responsible for good things. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t posted an article or two on how Religious people are healthier and happier…it wasn’t difficult…
“Official ‘Well-Being’ Statistics Show Religious People Are Happier Than Atheists”
FEBRUARY 8, 2016 BY DAN PETERSON

It’s imperative that we religious people avoid reacting to this with anything remotely like the smug sense of superiority that so many militant atheists direct at us.

That shouldn’t be difficult. It’s a very low bar.
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... eists.html