BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

Post by drumdude »

Peterson wrote:Some might scoff at this first study because two of its three authors are on the faculty of Religious Education at Brigham Young University. The study will need to be evaluated on its merits or its lack of merits rather than dismissed with an easy ad hominem.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Are you referring to this, drumdude?
Some might scoff at this first study because two of its three authors are on the faculty of Religious Education at Brigham Young University.  What kind of qualifications would they have for addressing a topic such as this? 

....Which is to say that the study will need to be evaluated on its merits or its lack of merits rather than dismissed with an easy ad hominem. 

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... icide.html
And evaluating the study on its merits is exactly what I did. (i.e. I documented that the authors miscoded the study results, and therefore rendered their own results meaningless, by not realizing that 1/3 of their respondents were NOT asked the sexual orientation question because they were 6th graders.)

Any comments I give about the use of math and stats in a paper are based upon, surprise, surprise, my opinion about the use of math and stats in the paper. Peterson's group is the one with a history of attacking authors instead of the papers they write, it's obvious he's just projecting their strategy onto others.

If he actually wrote that after reading my arguments, I am embarrassed for him. His time would have been much better spent giving his BYU colleagues a quiet heads up that their paper has a real problem, rather than trumpeting evidence of their errors on his blog.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm
Peterson wrote:Some might scoff at this first study because two of its three authors are on the faculty of Religious Education at Brigham Young University. The study will need to be evaluated on its merits or its lack of merits rather than dismissed with an easy ad hominem.
Thanks, dd, sorry I wrote my post while you were posting yours. I did see this, and it's too bad he only sees 'scoffing' at a study, rather than my extensive comments about the error in coding the survey results.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:11 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm
Thanks, dd, sorry I wrote my post while you were posting yours. I did see this, and it's too bad he only sees 'scoffing' at a study, rather than my extensive comments about the error in coding the survey results.
Dan doesn't grasp actual peer review or analysis. His is a black and white thinking world. Either you are pro Mormon or the enemy. If you have no faith promoting thing to say, you are the enemy. It's so frickin weird to see him and how he thinks these days. Just wow. What a loon of a stance he takes. It dawns on me, he actually might not have the mental acuity to grasp what ad hominem actually means...
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://www.bcbs.com/sites/default/file ... Report.pdf

Blue Cross BlueShield published an interesting analysis in the link above - it’s a slide presentation and easily skimmed if you want to click on the link. Page 8 shows Utah among the states with the highest levels of depression, and then if you scroll down to appendixes B&C you can find the numbers for Metro. Stat. Areas (MSAs) Salt Lake to Ogden and then Provo to Orem. Interestingly enough it’s Millennials showing the highest levels of depression in both MSAs at 7.1% and 7% respectively.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Wow.Do people not even read? Over at MDDB:

From the OP at your link: 'In a separate study, recently published by Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, researchers from Bowling Green State University analyzed the same data set and similarly found LGBTQ-Latter-day Saints had lower suicide risk than those of other faiths or no faith'.

Do you have any idea why people at your link are willing to spend four pages criticising and mocking the researchers at BYU without ever criticising or mocking the researchers from Bowling Green who reached a similar conclusion?

Edited 5 hours ago by Hamba Tuhan

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... 1210059725
Then there is a lot more disparagement and belittling.

For the lurkers reading, I don't know what the bowling green study did because ididn't read it,

but the BYU Paper used a data set where the 6th graders WERE NOT ASKED THE SEXUAL ORIENTATION QUESTION.

the BYU authors missed this, and just coded in the 6th grade answers as "MISSING" in response to that question. 6th graders composed almost ONE-THIRD of the data set.

They then conducted all of their analyses on the basis of this incorrect data, and are perplexed at why almost a third of their sample wouldn't "answer the question." The question the 6th graders WERE NOT ASKED.

I cannot believe that the MDDB posters in that thread are being so condescending. I am not criticizing the paper, I am pointing out a gigantic mistake the byu authors made in compiling their data.

Who knew people would have such a hard time understanding this. Wow.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

With some people you have to write in first gear.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 am
Wow.Do people not even read? Over at MDDB:

From the opening post at your link: 'In a separate study, recently published by Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity, researchers from Bowling Green State University analyzed the same data set and similarly found LGBTQ-Latter-day Saints had lower suicide risk than those of other faiths or no faith'.

Do you have any idea why people at your link are willing to spend four pages criticising and mocking the researchers at BYU without ever criticising or mocking the researchers from Bowling Green who reached a similar conclusion?

Edited 5 hours ago by Hamba Tuhan

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... 1210059725
Then there is a lot more disparagement and belittling.

For the lurkers reading, I don't know what the bowling green study did because ididn't read it,

but the BYU Paper used a data set where the 6th graders WERE NOT ASKED THE SEXUAL ORIENTATION QUESTION.

the BYU authors missed this, and just coded in the 6th grade answers as "MISSING" in response to that question. 6th graders composed almost ONE-THIRD of the data set.

They then conducted all of their analyses on the basis of this incorrect data, and are perplexed at why almost a third of their sample wouldn't "answer the question." The question the 6th graders WERE NOT ASKED.

I cannot believe that the MDDB posters in that thread are being so condescending. I am not criticizing the paper, I am pointing out a gigantic mistake the byu authors made in compiling their data.

Who knew people would have such a hard time understanding this. Wow.
Right Lem? It is exactly the same as when I get a comment that have I yet read John Gee when I am showing some problems with Kerry Muhlestein's ideas on the papyri. I am discussing this one, not that one. And discussion and dispassionate analysis is not ad hominem and criticizing, it is pointing things out. But then again, Mormons are sensitive to anything being shown out of place in their own house. You just keep right on doing what your doing Lem, it is invaluable.
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm
Dan just dismissed all of Lem's work as an ad-hom attack on the authors.

Shameful, Dan.
Dan couldn't use any of Lem's work because he couldn't find anything in it that he could plagiarize. Yes, he is shameful.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Here’s an odd one. Dan asked if these ladies from a stock photo are faking their happiness or not. I guess he just proved Mormons can’t be suicidal because they’re so dang happy in stock photos which promote the LDS church.
66238A9A-8134-4C06-83EA-8DCF286900A8.jpeg
66238A9A-8134-4C06-83EA-8DCF286900A8.jpeg (252.77 KiB) Viewed 1539 times