BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: BYU Professors claim LDS Church reduces risk of depression/suicide in LGBTQ

Post by Philo Sofee »

Well, on the good news side of this, this has all the qualifications of scholarly respectability and accuracy and honesty and valid up-to-date peer review to be used by Interpreter... :D

It just never ceases to amaze me how their "Mormon truth" has to be so obviously, blatantly, and stupidly skewed in order for them to arrive at faith promoting testimonial on the goodness and truth of the church. The level of idiocy in this is beyond calculation. I have a truly hard time fathoming how they can even stoop so low and immorally present this as any kind of evidence whatsoever. I am seriously contemplating making a video of this crap.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:04 pm
Well, on the good news side of this, this has all the qualifications of scholarly respectability and accuracy and honesty and valid up-to-date peer review to be used by Interpreter... :D

It just never ceases to amaze me how their "Mormon truth" has to be so obviously, blatantly, and stupidly skewed in order for them to arrive at faith promoting testimonial on the goodness and truth of the church. The level of idiocy in this is beyond calculation. I have a truly hard time fathoming how they can even stoop so low and immorally present this as any kind of evidence whatsoever. I am seriously contemplating making a video of this crap.
People make mistakes all the time. That's why we have editors, reviewers, fact checkers, etc. But missing that ONE/THIRD of your survey wasn't asked the sexual orientation question, when your study is investigating a relationship between sexual orientation and suicide? And even wondering in the paper WHY students didn't answer that question? :lol: But still including them, and deciding they seem most like heterosexual responders?!!!!! Wow. That's really a huge error to keep compounding, over and over and over.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Physics Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:52 pm
David Wood is in the School of Social Work while the other two are in Religious Education. I’m a little surprised at a Social Work prof lumping 6th through 12th graders together on a question like this.
Especially when they missed that 6th graders (one-third of survey respondents) weren't even asked the sexual orientation question, according to their underlying survey. (see also my next post after the one linked.)
Last edited by Lem on Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:12 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:04 pm

People make mistakes all the time. That's why we have editors, reviewers, fact checkers, etc. But missing that ONE/THIRD of your survey wasn't asked the sexual orientation question, when your study is investigating a relationship between sexual orientation and suicide? And even wondering in the paper WHY students didn't answer that question? :lol: But still including them, and deciding they seem most like heterosexual responders?!!!!! Wow. That's really a huge error to keep compounding, over and over and over.
But, hey yeah. it makes the church look good with this issue... er..... until the article is read.... :lol: They are probably banking on 99% of their audience to just read the headline and feel good about it without actually seeing the evidence, a very Mormon way to gain further light and knowledge that Father promised. After all, they are too busy attending church, paying tithing, reading their scriptures, and other church approved material, cleaning church toilets, watching the General Conference reports on the church's website, etc., to actually bother reading the article. If the headline says all is well in Zion, then by Gawd, that's good enough for me! The chapel Mormons testimonies have been verified, stamped with approval and strengthened, job done... next article!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

[footnote] 45 Anecdotally, the first author spoke with a sixth grader who took the survey and they said they were unsure what was being asked by the sexual orientation question and left it blank.
Not if the sixth graders weren’t asked the sexual orientation question. :roll:

I feel a bit bad, this is a well publicized essay. For them to not notice a third of the respondents weren’t asked the sexual orientation question, plus this impossible anecdote, it’s going to be embarrassing.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

dastardly stem wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Wow. What a mess this is. Absolute garbage. And yet they make all these claims?
It's BYU and they have added musket fire to the research!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

In an ironic twist, an editorial, written by two of the authors, is featured along with the article about their pending paper which is making inaccurate claims. The topic of that piece:
Guest opinion: The church and LGBT youth suicide: Inaccurate claims may do more harm than good

By Deseret News May 7, 2019, 8:00pm MDT

Michael Goodman and Justin Dyer, For the Deseret News

https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/7/206726 ... -than-good
You can’t make this up.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:27 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:27 pm
dastardly stem wrote:
:lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Lem wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:30 pm
In an ironic twist, an editorial, written by two of the authors, is featured along with the article about their pending paper which is making inaccurate claims. The topic of that piece:
Guest opinion: The church and LGBT youth suicide: Inaccurate claims may do more harm than good

By Deseret News May 7, 2019, 8:00pm MDT

Michael Goodman and Justin Dyer, For the Deseret News

https://www.deseret.com/2019/5/7/206726 ... -than-good
You can’t make this up.
It makes one wonder whether to laugh or cry...