It's NOT the Mormon Church Gawd Damn it!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Craig Paxton
Sunbeam

It's NOT the Mormon Church Gawd Damn it!

Post by Craig Paxton »

I love Jana Riess's nuanced brand of Mormonism and how she regularly calls out the absurdity of many of the pronouncements that the 15 impose on Mormon culture. The latest is a critique of the recent doubling down on the use of the term Mormon in the media by Neil Anderson.

Riess points to the absurdity of the less than .2% of the worlds population demanding that the remaining 99.8% conform to their demand that they be referred to not by the brand that they spent millions of dollars on in a widely disseminated I'm a Mormon advertising campaign as recently as 2010 or it's self promoting Mormon movie in 2014, but by a name that is both cumbersome and ill fitting for conversation or print. What a joke for Mormon's to think that they can change the language that others refer to them by and with the exception of Utah, it appears that they have as of yet failed to do so.

In one whip lashing comment Anderson says
“With courtesy, we again ask the fair-minded of the media to honor our desire to be called by our name of nearly 200 years.”
Is Anderson not aware of the many name changes that the the church's name went through before finally settling in on its current name?

If anything, as Riess points out, all the church has really accomplished with their demand is to drive yet another wedge into Utah culture dividing those who continue to use the term Mormon from those who prefer the now orthodox church of blah blah blah and yet another
immediate shorthand for Latter-day Saints to size up one another's obedience and orthodoxy.
as if we needed one more thing to divide us.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/10 ... tle-lines/
Last edited by Craig Paxton on Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
Dr Exiled
God

Re: It's NOT the Mormon Church Gawd Damn it!

Post by Dr Exiled »

It's also a bad move from a PR standpoint considering going from one recognizable name to something all missionaries had a hard time saying in their approach. Once Nelson dies, if Oaks doesn't take up the silly torch, it'll relax and go back to embracing the easy, well known name.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jason Bourne
Star A

Post by Jason Bourne »

Craig Paxton wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:12 pm
I love Jana Riess's nuanced brand of Mormonism and how she regularly calls out the absurdity of many of the pronouncements that the 15 impose on Mormon culture. The latest is a critique of the recent doubling down on the use of the term Mormon in the media by Neil Anderson.

Riess points to the absurdity of the less than .2% of the worlds population demanding that the remaining 99.8% conform to their demand that they be referred to not by the brand that they spent millions of dollars on in a widely disseminated I'm a Mormon advertising campaign as recently as 2010 or it's self promoting Mormon movie in 2014, but by a name that is both cumbersome and ill fitting for conversation or print. What a joke for Mormon's to think that they can change the language that others refer to them by and with the exception of Utah, it appears that they have as of yet failed to do so.

In one whip lashing comment Anderson says
“With courtesy, we again ask the fair-minded of the media to honor our desire to be called by our name of nearly 200 years.”
Is Anderson not aware of the many name changes that the the church's name went through before finally settling in on its current name?

If anything, as Riess points out, all the church has really accomplished with their demand is to drive yet another wedge into Utah culture dividing those who continue to use the term Mormon from those who prefer the now orthodox church of blah blah blah and yet another
immediate shorthand for Latter-day Saints to size up one another's obedience and orthodoxy.
as if we needed one more thing to divide us.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/10 ... tle-lines/
This is all driven by the ego of Nelson. This has been a pet peeve of his. Hinckley even subtly scolded Nelson on this in a GC talk. Nelson really seems to want to leave a major mark. Hyper driven to announce temples. He now exceeds Hinckley in announced temple numbers. Reducing time in Church, Killing the various LDS pageants.Letting the Hill Cumorah site go back to its "natural' state and so on, And then there is his revelation note pad....
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

No hypocrisy between the demand by the Church to be called a certain way and their total lack of respect for how they label GLBQT now is there?

"We are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints and you suffer from SSA."
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It's a good loyalty exercise, to make the members forget the "I'm a Mormon" campaign ever existed, and to tell them that it has ALWAYS been "Latter day saint."

After all, we have always been at war with Eastasia, right?
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Somewhere between Orwellian and simply moronic lies this whole baffling insistence about the name of the church. It is effectively self-parody.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I wonder if Jana Riess would refer to someone by their preferred name and pronoun? Or would she insist on referring to said person by their dead name, and then decry in print how ridiculous it is?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm
I wonder if Jana Riess would refer to someone by their preferred name and pronoun? Or would she insist on referring to said person by their dead name, and then decry in print how ridiculous it is?

- Doc
Ah! Indeed! Interesting comparison. Does the name of a church have the same personal significance as one’s own name? I rather doubt it does. Still, I think this is more along the lines of your friends having called you Stinky for decades based on something dumb you did as a kid and one day you become partner at a law firm and demand they call you your full real name and title at all times. Bartholomew Prestwick Ruprechtenstein IV, Esquire.

Let’s face it. Stinky was a favor.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:19 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 pm

- Doc
Ah! Indeed! Interesting comparison. Does the name of a church have the same personal significance as one’s own name? I rather doubt it does. Still, I think this is more along the lines of your friends having called you Stinky for decades based on something dumb you did as a kid and one day you become partner at a law firm and demand they call you your full real name and title at all times. Bartholomew Prestwick Ruprechtenstein IV, Esquire.

Let’s face it. Stinky was a favor.
:lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

The Church should have recommended a short useful substitute for the name Mormon. Brighamites, Nelsonites, or even the two-word Saints-Lite might have been workable. The media outside of the Jello-Belt will not use the full name, which to people unfamiliar with the Mormon story sounds very misleading.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace