My Weekly Russell: 8) Rise of the Correlator

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Gabriel
Deacon

My Weekly Russell: 8) Rise of the Correlator

Post by Gabriel »

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
EGBDF.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Gentle Reader, the following quotes from Russell’s autobiography are rather wonkish, with minimal commentary from Yours Truly. The reason for the wonkishness is to provide some context for next week’s episode (that is if I am not too lax and lazy to post it). I intended to augment Russell’s story today with a little more commentary of my own; however, I received my ancestry.com DNA results this morning and they do not appear to correlate too well with my own family’s faith-promoting history. That’s still kind of banging around in my head a bit as a distraction. Thus, my TLDR must remain again: It’s too long, don’t read; chloroform in print, etc. Nevertheless, one can get the gist of this topic by reading just the bolded sections of Russell's quotes.

All quotes are from Russell’s autobiography, From Heart to Heart. Quality Press, Inc: Russell M. Nelson. 1979

First off, I haven’t written much of Russell’s service as Stake President; so, let it be known that Russell was a stellar Stake President. I didn’t have time to transcribe his four-page summary of accomplishments. But, I have no doubt that had he served longer, the Bonneville Stake would already be bordering the City of Enoch as we speak. And Russell concurs.

For those interested, Russell provides us a source to read all about it. In his chapter, Service as Stake President (1964-71) p. 119
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: The highlights of the history of my service as stake president have been completed in a document on file in my home, I gave a copy of this history to President Francis M. Gibbons, who collected many documents in order to prepare a concise history of the Salt Lake Bonneville Stake. The resulting publication, a book entitled A Tradition of Excellence, was published in 1977. It is an outstanding publication, reviewing all that transpired there from 1935 to 1977.
We learned in a previous episode of MWR that Russell was considered as a candidate for the presidency of BYU. In his Highlights of 1971, p. 343:
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: March 19 - I was interviewed by Elders Marion G. Romney. Boyd K. Packer, and Marion D. Hanks regarding the presidency of Brigham Young University,
March 19 - I was interviewed by President Harold Lee and President N. Eldon Tanner for more than two hours regarding the presidency of BYU. (Fortunately for the Church and for BYU, they subsequently appointed Dallin Oaks to that position.)
The Brethren, it appears, had other plans for Russell.

In chapter 18 of Russell’s autobiography, Service as General President of the Sunday School, p.125-127. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote:On Friday, June 1, 1971, I arrived at my professional office late in the afternoon, having been detained longer than usual because of a difficult open-heart operation. The phone rang. Mrs. Kemp, our lovely receptionist, indicated that it was President N. Eldon Tanner on the phone. He said, "Do you think you could meet with us next Monday around 3:00 in the afternoon?"
I replied that my schedule called for me to be in Hawaii that day for a medical meeting. But I indicated that if he wanted me to alter my plans to meet his request, I would be glad to do so.
He said, "Do you think you could come right now?" Of course I went at once.
When I walked into President Tanner's office, I found that President Lee was also there. (President Joseph Fielding Smith, president of the Church, was not well that day and was therefore absent.) After we exchanged greetings, President Lee and President Tanner indicated that Brother David Lawrence McKay, who had served more than five years as general superintendent of the Sunday School, was being released to become a mission president. They said they would like me to serve in this high and important office of the Church, provided that it would not take me away from my medical work, which they did not want to disturb.
I was absolutely shocked! I had no idea they were considering such a thing. Not only that, I hadn't even realized that Brother McKay was to be released. But without hesitation I replied that my work didn't matter, that if it were necessary for me to sell furniture or take up some other occupation in order to be obedient to the call they were impressed to give, that I would do.
But again they stated that they wanted me to accept the call only if it meant that I could continue in my profession.
I assured them of my faith that the Lord could do anything and that if I would depend on him [sic], this new challenge could be met.

If Russell ended up becoming President of BYU, he almost certainly would have had to severely curtail or even give up his medical practice. As president of the Sunday School, however, the Brethren managed to acquire a Court Physician into the bargain.

In his Service as General President of the Sunday School, p.127. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: A few months before, after the resignation of President Ernest L. Wilkinson as president of Brigham Young University was announced, the Brethren conducted a series of interviews in which they were kind enough to consider me as one among many who might be capable of handling that important assignment. Fortunately for Brigham Young University, for the Church, and for the thousands of people affected for good through the brilliant preparation and life of Dallin Oaks, he received the call to serve as president of Brigham Young University. Shortly thereafter, the Brethren called me to serve as general president of the Sunday School. It becomes clear now why the Brethren emphasized that they did not want my professional work to be disturbed. For subsequent to that date, it was my responsibility to operate on President Spencer W. Kimball, on a brother and sisters of President Marion G. Romney, a son-in-law of President N. Eldon Tanner, Elder Richard L. Evans, Elder Boyd K. Packer, Elder Paul H. Dunn, Elder Milton R. Hunter, Elder Robert L. Simpson, several of the wives of the Brethren, many mission presidents, and other people whose contributions to the development of the kingdom of God upon the earth have been so vital.
When Russell’s calling was first announced in the newspaper, he chafed a bit. (I didn’t have time to research the name or date of the offending paper’s post).

In his chapter entitled President Harold B. Lee p. 158. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: One of my first meetings with President Lee after I was called to preside over the Sunday School was at my request, and I brought along a newspaper clipping that announced my new appointment. Over my picture was the heading "New Union Head Selected." When I first saw that headline I thought of labor unions, and I was somewhat startled, for I had never been a union man. When I showed this to President Lee I said, "Don't you think the time has come when we could change the name from Deseret Sunday School Union to Sunday School" He agreed enthusiastically, and so that change was effected virtually immediately.
There was another minor matter that Russell saw fit to address: He was called as a General Superintendent of the Sunday School. A Superintendent is well and good, mind you, but the heads of almost all of the other auxiliaries of the church bore the title “President.” To be addressed as “Superintendent Nelson” when every other Tom, Dick, and Harry gets to be addressed as “President”, was certainly an inconsistency. Dreadfully inconsistent and - Dare we say it? Yes, we dare - insultingly inconsistent.

In the next paragraph on p. 158. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: About a year later I talked to him about the nomenclature of the leadership of the Sunday School, both at the general level and in the stakes, wards, and branches. The presiding authority of priesthood quorums, Relief Society, Primary, and the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association consisted of a president with two counselors, whereas the Sunday School and Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association leaders were called superintendents with their assistants. I asked the reason for this designation, which seemed to me to be anomalous. He agreed that it was an inconsistency that should be changed. Therefore, at conference on June 25, 1972, the titles given the leaders of the Sunday School and the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association at all levels in the Church were changed from superintendent to president. Such was President Lee's great desire and interest in correlation and consistency.
And speaking of correlation and consistency - On p. 157, Harold let it be known that there must be no deviancy:
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: I visited President Lee's home one Sunday evening when we had another matter to discuss. He greeted me so warmly and cordially. Then with almost a sudden and abrupt change of mood, he was very stern and he shook his finger at me and said, "Brother Nelson, I don't want you ever to approve deviation from the prescribed curriculum and courses in Sunday School.”
Somewhat startled by his abrupt announcement, I waited for the amplification of what he had on his mind, and he told me. He said, "Today I was in Sunday School in my own home ward. There, a distinguished teacher at the university served as my Sunday School teacher. That was just fine, but he proceeded to give a lesson which bore no resemblance to the approved curriculum as developed by the Church. Never, never give approval to these deviations!"

Although I wondered at the time why he dealt with me in such a firm manner, I have long since understood the wisdom in his doing so, because I've received so many questions in the succeeding years with regard to deviation from the approved curriculum. There's never been any doubt in my mind as to what should be the correct answer. Of course, President Lee knew all this.
Of course, he did. (I mean, with his noble birthright and all). That’s it for today.

As a teaser for next week’s topic: I will offer the following clues. (hint, Those who have read Russell’s magnificent biography by Sheri Dew (Insights From A Prophet’s Life) may have a head start. Spencer J. Condie in his (Russell M. Nelson: Father, Surgeon, Apostle) doesn’t touch this story with a ten-foot pole. I wonder why).
“I can’t stand it here any longer.” Dr. Russell M. Nelson
“I can’t stand it here any longer.” Dr. Russell M. Nelson
The Broodmoor Hotel.jpg (183.34 KiB) Viewed 717 times
“Who’s looking for me?” Dr. Russell M. Nelson
“Who’s looking for me?” Dr. Russell M. Nelson
knockknock.gif (180.38 KiB) Viewed 717 times
For those who have endured reading this post to the end,

Do zobaczenia później! Gentle Reader!

Stańczyk
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: My Weekly Russell: 8) Rise of the Correlator

Post by Dr Moore »

Of course he knew it.
Wink wink, nod nod.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Gabriel wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:45 pm
When Russell’s calling was first announced in the newspaper, he chafed a bit. (I didn’t have time to research the name or date of the offending paper’s post).

In his chapter entitled President Harold B. Lee p. 158. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: One of my first meetings with President Lee after I was called to preside over the Sunday School was at my request, and I brought along a newspaper clipping that announced my new appointment. Over my picture was the heading "New Union Head Selected." When I first saw that headline I thought of labor unions, and I was somewhat startled, for I had never been a union man. When I showed this to President Lee I said, "Don't you think the time has come when we could change the name from Deseret Sunday School Union to Sunday School" He agreed enthusiastically, and so that change was effected virtually immediately.
The leading suspect, the Salt Lake Tribune, ran this headline: "LDS Name New Leaders of Sunday School Union." I didn't find any Utah newspaper headlines from that time that read "New Union Head Selected," but I assume that Nelson has a copy of the offending article framed in his office.
There was another minor matter that Russell saw fit to address: He was called as a General Superintendent of the Sunday School. A Superintendent is well and good, mind you, but the heads of almost all of the other auxiliaries of the church bore the title “President.” To be addressed as “Superintendent Nelson” when every other Tom, Dick, and Harry gets to be addressed as “President”, was certainly an inconsistency. Dreadfully inconsistent and - Dare we say it? Yes, we dare - insultingly inconsistent.

In the next paragraph on p. 158. (Bolding for emphasis).
”Russell M. Nelson” wrote: About a year later I talked to him about the nomenclature of the leadership of the Sunday School, both at the general level and in the stakes, wards, and branches. The presiding authority of priesthood quorums, Relief Society, Primary, and the Young Women's Mutual Improvement Association consisted of a president with two counselors, whereas the Sunday School and Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association leaders were called superintendents with their assistants. I asked the reason for this designation, which seemed to me to be anomalous. He agreed that it was an inconsistency that should be changed. Therefore, at conference on June 25, 1972, the titles given the leaders of the Sunday School and the Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association at all levels in the Church were changed from superintendent to president. Such was President Lee's great desire and interest in correlation and consistency.
Nelson's fixations desires and interests were Lee's desires and interests. A true binity.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Gabriel
Deacon

Post by Gabriel »

Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:45 pm
The leading suspect, the Salt Lake Tribune, ran this headline: "LDS Name New Leaders of Sunday School Union." I didn't find any Utah newspaper headlines from that time that read "New Union Head Selected," but I assume that Nelson has a copy of the offending article framed in his office.
TV Director: "I won an award."
TV Director: "I won an award."
TV Director 1.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 652 times
John: "A likely story."
John: "A likely story."
TV Director 2.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 652 times
TV Director: "It's on the wall in my office."
TV Director: "It's on the wall in my office."
TV Director 3.jpg (101.36 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:24 pm
Nelson's fixations desires and interests were Lee's desires and interests. A true binity.
Neither confounding the Persons nor dividing the Substance.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

What's not to dislike about this guy? He certainly was smart and capable, but, such a suck up to the brethren and quick to toot his own horn.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.